•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI183MC Pro exposure and gain settings?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 mjh410

mjh410

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tooele, UT

Posted 13 June 2021 - 01:28 AM

I just about have all my gear and will be putting it all to use soon. I have never used a dedicated astro camera other than a guide cam, I picked up a used ASI183MC pro. I have a Sharpstar 76EDPH with .8 reducer and an L-Extreme filter. I don't have a UV/IR cut filter yet, it's on back order. I though perhaps I would try the East Veil Nebula with the L-Extreme as my first target. 

What would be good gain and exposure time settings to start with? Just looking for a ballpark to work with. Would these values change whether I'm using the L-Extreme or the UV/IR filter?

Thanks

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Cosmos

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 13 June 2021 - 01:49 AM

I have the ASI183MM Pro and the ASI178MM Cool and for both of those and when imaging DSOs I almost always use the driver's preset of "Lowest Read Noise" (gain 270, offset 10). But, for very bright star fields (Arcturus, Vega, the double star Albireo, etc.) I will usually use a gain of zero to avoid complete saturation of the star(s). Then, for lunar and planetary I select an exposure in the low millisecond range and then adjust the gain to produce a 60 to 70% histogram peak.

I generally image under red/orange light pollution and for a narrow band target (with Ha or OIII filters) I will expose anywhere from three to five minutes. But for unfiltered, broadband color I really can't go for more than 60 seconds (because of the light pollution). These values are for when working at between f/4.8 and f/6 (approximately).

If you want to further optimize then I'd suggest that you watch a presentation by Dr. Robin Glover on YouTube (link below). Dr. Glover is the author of SharpCap (freeware) which provides some tools for camera analysis.

https://youtu.be/3RH93UvP358

Edited by james7ca, 13 June 2021 - 01:58 AM.

• RogerM and mjh410 like this

#3 mjh410

mjh410

Explorer 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Tooele, UT

Posted 13 June 2021 - 01:52 AM

Thank you, and I guess I should have added I live in a bortle 5, almost 4.

#4 RonaldNC

RonaldNC

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Fuquay Varina, NC

Posted 13 June 2021 - 05:24 AM

I have used the ASI183MC Pro for about a year... very good camera.

My settings are 120 gain, 10 offset and -10c cooling.  I use different exposures for different objects, but 120 seconds is a good place to start.  I only use an UV/IR filter, which does not change the settings.  Make sure you use calibration frames, especially darks, as there is considerable amp glow with this camera.  However, they calibrate out quite nicely with the darks.

Good luck!

Ron

Edited by RonaldNC, 13 June 2021 - 05:26 AM.

• mjh410 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics