•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NGC 7023 Iris Nebula + Stacked Raw Data

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 13 June 2021 - 01:38 AM

Hopefully someone will enjoy playing with this. 
Rc6, Canon T6s 300 lights 180s @ISO1600  15hrs+

Data is under image.. :) 
NGC-7023-Iris-Nebula-007sm.jpg

Here is the data..
https://drive.google...iew?usp=sharing

• F.Meiresonne, Magellanico, lukasik and 4 others like this

#2 Mike in Rancho

Mike in Rancho

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Alta Loma, CA

Posted 13 June 2021 - 11:17 PM

I admit I tried this late last night (probably too late), and I'm not sure I'd call it enjoyment. lol.gif

Is this just a stack of lights?  Boy I had all sorts of crazy things on the screen and couldn't figure out what to do with it.  Noise?  Gradients?  Light leaks?  Thermal pattern?  Maybe nebulosity, maybe IFN dust, maybe...who knows lol!

Your image looks good.  Maybe that's what it takes here, just squash it all down with a limited stretch except the blue center?  15+ hours though it'd be great to reveal even more around it.  Might try again later...

• galacticinsomnia likes this

#3 Desertanimal

Desertanimal

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 14 June 2021 - 12:13 AM

Nice image! 15 hours!
I also shot this the other night. I’ve stacked it but that’s all. I’m not sure I got any nebulosity to work with. I think I’m too impatient to gather enough time. I’m like a kid in a candy store, I want to taste each one but I don’t take the time to savor any! Haha
  • galacticinsomnia likes this

#4 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Apollo

• topic starter
  • Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 14 June 2021 - 12:23 AM

I admit I tried this late last night (probably too late), and I'm not sure I'd call it enjoyment. lol.gif

Is this just a stack of lights?  Boy I had all sorts of crazy things on the screen and couldn't figure out what to do with it.  Noise?  Gradients?  Light leaks?  Thermal pattern?  Maybe nebulosity, maybe IFN dust, maybe...who knows lol!

Your image looks good.  Maybe that's what it takes here, just squash it all down with a limited stretch except the blue center?  15+ hours though it'd be great to reveal even more around it.  Might try again later...

Honestly, I'm extremely dissatisfied with the stack, that stack has no DFB because when I tried the DFB it looked worse. 
I'm sure my exposure is FAR to left on the histogram, and eve so, was blowing out the core double star.  I think this would benefit, from another round of center historgram to bring out more of the dark nebula. 

I'm not sure what is going on with the data, but since I have been shooting an hour here and an hour there, in bortle 6 or 7 skies, over the course of time there has to be differences enivormentally, etc. 

Nice image! 15 hours!
I also shot this the other night. I’ve stacked it but that’s all. I’m not sure I got any nebulosity to work with. I think I’m too impatient to gather enough time. I’m like a kid in a candy store, I want to taste each one but I don’t take the time to savor any! Haha

As said above I think this target would benefit from some center histogram, and then some left histogram, and merge the two stacks in post.
Give it a go, or post your stack, I'll play ! 

Thank you !!!

Clear Skies !!

• Mike in Rancho likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics