•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

ASI174mm Stopped working, any known problems with them?

Astrophotography Beginner CMOS Equipment Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 davidmalanick

davidmalanick

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sheboygan Wisconsin

Posted 13 June 2021 - 01:37 PM

Hello,

Last night I set up and after running for 10min my ASI174mm guide camera just started with weird a output.  Tried powering down, waiting, reconnecting, unplugging and everything all over today at home.

I leave it in the OAG all the time so I don't have to worry about refocusing.  The screen does change a little when looping in PHD2.

Here is a screen shot.  Any Ideas?  It's a new camera , 2 months old.

Thanks for any input.

174mm

#2 Sky King

Sky King

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 13 June 2021 - 02:04 PM

May be covered under the ZWO warranty. I sometimes get no output from my cameras, but it turns out to be a bad USB cord or one that is too long. I put a piece of tape around known good cords. Try a different good cord.

#3 Achernar

Achernar

Voyager 1

• Loc: Mobile, Alabama, USA

Posted 13 June 2021 - 02:09 PM

If you rule out a problem with the computer or cable, I think the electronics failed. If this is under warranty I would contact the vendor you got it from. I find this odd, since I have a ZWO 174MM camera myself, and it works very well even though it did develop one hot pixel.

Taras

Edited by Achernar, 13 June 2021 - 02:11 PM.

#4 davidmalanick

davidmalanick

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Sheboygan Wisconsin

Posted 13 June 2021 - 02:29 PM

Traded out cables and tried bypassing powered USB3 hub direct connect to laptop.  No luck.  I'll call High Point Scientific, the vendor, tomorrow. Think I was lucky to find one in stock, now back-ordered.

I figured it was shot, so last night at the dark site I went ahead and ordered a ASI120Mini as a temporary measure.  Probably not get 12 guide stars with that camera. :(

Does the vendor, High Point Scientific, usually exchange or will I get stuck sending it to China?  Just being back-ordered I imagine it's going to take a while.

Thanks for the help!

#5 Sky King

Sky King

Viking 1

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 13 June 2021 - 02:54 PM

You might call them. Some vendors/zwo offer a loaner camera while the broken one gets shipped to China and back. Don't know about High Point Scientific. I think you are first referred to ZWO, who help you decide if it's toast.

Edited by Sky King, 13 June 2021 - 06:59 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Beginner, CMOS, Equipment, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics