•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astap keeps telling me if I continue it will corrupt the program

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Older Padawan

Older Padawan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Colorado USA

Posted 13 June 2021 - 02:45 PM

I have tried for the last couple of months to get ASTAP to work with Sharpcap and am continuing to have issues. The latest is a message that says if I continue with the program I will corrupt ASTAP. I have also had a message to download the latest update (which I have done numerous times). When I download ASTAP I allow the computer to choose the location where it is stored so I am fairly sure it's in the location it needs to be. I have also downloaded the latest H18 files. I have seen the speed at which this program solves and would love to utilize it for my EAA set up. Any suggestions as far as the location on the computer I should put the program in, how do I get Sharpcap to recognize it and/or what do the error messages I'm getting mean. Any help would be appreciated

#2 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 13 June 2021 - 02:54 PM

It will help if you post screenshots with the SharpCap configuration (the plate solving tab) as well as details where ASTAP is installed on your machine. A possible cause: not sure if applicable to the most recent version of SharpCap but the past versions only recognized ASTAP if it was installed in the default directory. I know this from personal experience as I had initially installed it elsewhere, then saw similar bug reports on the SharpCap forum. 

#3 Older Padawan

Older Padawan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 June 2021 - 04:02 PM

RazvanUnderStars I will grab a screen shot next time I'm able to get out and have you take a look. One thing I did notice and have corrected was the ASTAP files were in the Program Files Folder so I moved them to the Program Files x86 Folder. Hopefully this will take care of the issue. I used the Sharpcap version 4 test button and that said that ASTAP was working fine with Sharpcap so hopefully this issue will be solved. I will let you know what happens.

#4 RazvanUnderStars

RazvanUnderStars

Apollo

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 13 June 2021 - 04:22 PM

If you have the 64-bit version of ASTAP, it's normal for it to be installed under Program Files, that's there 64-bit applications go. If you have the 32-bit version, then by default it goes under Program Files (x86)

Normally you shouldn't need to move an app from one folder to another. Of note, the folder they are installed under will not affect the functionality, but may create some confusion as you can end up having both the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions of the apps installed - and this can happen for both SharpCap and ASTAP. 

If you continue to have problems after that and want to try to fix it on the spot, I'd suggest you uninstall both SharpCap and ASTAP and reinstall them in their default locations.

RazvanUnderStars I will grab a screen shot next time I'm able to get out and have you take a look. One thing I did notice and have corrected was the ASTAP files were in the Program Files Folder so I moved them to the Program Files x86 Folder. Hopefully this will take care of the issue. I used the Sharpcap version 4 test button and that said that ASTAP was working fine with Sharpcap so hopefully this issue will be solved. I will let you know what happens.

#5 Older Padawan

Older Padawan

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 June 2021 - 08:57 PM

If you have the 64-bit version of ASTAP, it's normal for it to be installed under Program Files, that's there 64-bit applications go. If you have the 32-bit version, then by default it goes under Program Files (x86)

Normally you shouldn't need to move an app from one folder to another. Of note, the folder they are installed under will not affect the functionality, but may create some confusion as you can end up having both the 32-bit and the 64-bit versions of the apps installed - and this can happen for both SharpCap and ASTAP. 

If you continue to have problems after that and want to try to fix it on the spot, I'd suggest you uninstall both SharpCap and ASTAP and reinstall them in their default locations.

Thanks for the suggestion. I have uninstalled both and reinstalled now I just need some dark clear skies and see if it's fixed.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics