•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Good deed

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Limerick, Ireland

Posted 13 June 2021 - 02:51 PM

I just gave my Orion GoScope 80mm refractor to the husband of my cousin, and gave him an idea of what mount to get for it. He has a large reflector on an equatorial mount,  but never uses the scope because its he regards it as hard to set up. I hope this encourages him to go back to the viewing the skies. smile.gif

Well anyway, I will eventually get myself another refractor, probably just an achromatic refractor (I am not too rich), possibly a short tube with ok optics.

I am getting an 8 inch Dob (again) soon, so I wondered what kind of refractor I should get to compliment it.

I already have a Maksutov, and it takes a bit of time to cool down, so it isn't exactly grab and go. I am not sure if I want a shorter focal length scope or a longer, I guess a medium focal length would be better all round.

What do you suggest, in OTAs or in scopes with mounts?

• ShaulaB likes this

#2 Thomas Marshall

Thomas Marshall

Viking 1

• Loc: Spring Valley AZ.

Posted 13 June 2021 - 03:22 PM

I just gave away my refractor/ - But I haven't become a Detractor/ - Of scopes of that kind/ - But I now need to find/ - A replacement with upgraded factor. grin.gif

Edited by Thomas Marshall, 13 June 2021 - 03:55 PM.

• gnowellsct, xvariablestarx and Lite2 like this

#3 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 June 2021 - 03:30 PM

I just gave away my refractor/ - But I haven't become a Detractor/ - Of scopes of that kind/ - But I now need to find/ - A replacement of equivalent factor. grin.gif

Hahaha. Not quite a equivalent though, I am looking for an small upgrade.

• Thomas Marshall likes this

#4 GSBass

GSBass

Vanguard

• Loc: South Carolina

Posted 13 June 2021 - 03:31 PM

You may want to research the insulation thing if your having cool down issues with your makā€¦. People swear your ready to go in minutes

I just gave my Orion GoScope 80mm refractor to the husband of my cousin, and gave him an idea of what mount to get for it. He has a large reflector on an equatorial mount,  but never uses the scope because its he regards it as hard to set up. I hope this encourages him to go back to the viewing the skies. smile.gif

Well anyway, I will eventually get myself another refractor, probably just an achromatic refractor (I am not too rich), possibly a short tube with ok optics.

I am getting an 8 inch Dob (again) soon, so I wondered what kind of refractor I should get to compliment it.

I already have a Maksutov, and it takes a bit of time to cool down, so it isn't exactly grab and go. I am not sure if I want a shorter focal length scope or a longer, I guess a medium focal length would be better all round.

What do you suggest, in OTAs or in scopes with mounts?

#5 aeajr

aeajr

Hubble

• Loc: Long Island, New York, USA

Posted 13 June 2021 - 03:32 PM

I just gave away an F5 80 mm refractor on an AltAz mount.   I have a second F5 80 on a Goto mount for outreach.

I had just upgraded to a 102 mm ED and didn't feel I needed 6 scopes, so out it went to a family friend with kids.  Hopefully they will get into it with my help.

• CollinofAlabama, xvariablestarx and BruceNewEngland like this

#6 John Fitzgerald

John Fitzgerald

In Focus

• Loc: near Elkins and Pettigrew, Arkansas

Posted 13 June 2021 - 03:41 PM

If I do a good deed, it seldom goes unpunished....frown.gif

• CollinofAlabama, gnowellsct, blakestree and 1 other like this

#7 spacemunkee

spacemunkee

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 13 June 2021 - 03:43 PM

Better update that sig...grin.gif lol.gif

• xvariablestarx and Thomas Marshall like this

#8 barbie

barbie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 13 June 2021 - 10:20 PM

Over my 50 plus years in astronomy, I've given away a fair number of small scopes to colleges and younger individuals who couldn't afford one and the emotional reward of doing so is very gratifying, especially when it leads to a lifelong hobby or career in the sciences!!

• xvariablestarx likes this

#9 xvariablestarx

xvariablestarx

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2021 - 12:00 PM

Is the Celestron AstroMaster 102 mm Refractor and the Orion StarBlast 102mm Altazimuth Travel Refractor, basically the same scope?

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics