•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

6-inch f/8 seating position troubles...a realization

• Please log in to reply
64 replies to this topic

#51 SkyRanger

SkyRanger

Viking 1

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ

Posted 15 June 2021 - 03:56 PM

The Mewlon IS a Classical DK Cassegrain.  I will probably get a Feathertouch after-market focuser for it anyway.... Set the mirror in one spot and leave it..

Dave

Cotts, I’ll be watching for your adventures with a Mewlon.  I am dreaming of one for sometime in the future.

Gordon G

Edited by SkyRanger, 15 June 2021 - 03:57 PM.

#52 gwlee

gwlee

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: 38N 120W

Posted 16 June 2021 - 01:09 PM

The Mewlon IS a Classical DK Cassegrain.  I will probably get a Feathertouch after-market focuser for it anyway.... Set the mirror in one spot and leave it..

Dave

A FT focuser was my solution to the image shift problem. As I remember the 210 seemed to take about an hour to cool, which is about the same as the 8” Portaball I used at the same site.

The finder that comes with the 210 is the best straight through optical finder I have used. It’s sturdy enough to double as a handle, and there’s an optional attachment that illuminates the cross hairs.

I bought the 210 new. It arrived well collimated, and it didn’t need to be recollimated in the 2-3 years that I owned it. It’s a stubby scope, and mounted on the DM6, I needed to use the optional DM6 handle steer it. 

Edited by gwlee, 16 June 2021 - 01:16 PM.

• 25585 likes this

#53 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• topic starter
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 16 June 2021 - 05:04 PM

A deal for a 210 has been made!!  (Seller approached me via CN Private Message...)It may be a while (weeks?) before i get it because the seller is shipping it to a friend of mine in NY....

When will the border open to tourists in cars?

Dave

• SkyRanger and 25585 like this

#54 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

• Loc: Tampa area Florida

Posted 16 June 2021 - 06:27 PM

Bring that 210 to FL sometime and see what it can really do at 500x and up.

#55 Phillip Creed

Phillip Creed

Soyuz

• Loc: Canal Fulton, OH

Posted 17 June 2021 - 10:54 AM

Just out of curiosity, is that renowned Florida seeing universal throughout The Sunshine State (since no part is more than 75 miles from the coast), or is it primarily a coastal thing?

Clear Skies,

Phil

#56 Bomber Bob

Bomber Bob

ISS

• Loc: The Swamp, USA

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:57 AM

The Swamp is 150 miles from The Gulf, yet I have similar planetary seeing to CHAS...

My best nights (75x & higher per inch) are usually 2 or 3 days after frontal passage, when the transparency suffers some, but the air masses are Calmer.  In fact, I'll take stagnant air in the gaps between mid-level cloud lobes versus the day after a strong cold front scrubs all the moisture from the air.  Those are my DSO nights, with stars twinkling like crazy...

• daquad, Wildetelescope, 25585 and 1 other like this

#57 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• topic starter

Posted 17 June 2021 - 02:09 PM

WSP 2022 fer sure!  On my Discmount DM6.  We can compare with my 20-inch Dob!!!

Dave

#58 Wildetelescope

Wildetelescope

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Maryland

Posted 17 June 2021 - 02:30 PM

The Swamp is 150 miles from The Gulf, yet I have similar planetary seeing to CHAS...

My best nights (75x & higher per inch) are usually 2 or 3 days after frontal passage, when the transparency suffers some, but the air masses are Calmer.  In fact, I'll take stagnant air in the gaps between mid-level cloud lobes versus the day after a strong cold front scrubs all the moisture from the air.  Those are my DSO nights, with stars twinkling like crazy...

yep, the hotter and more miserable the night is, the better the planet views.  How we suffer for our hobby:-). 

JMD

• daquad and Bonco2 like this

#59 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• topic starter

Posted 17 June 2021 - 03:12 PM

yep, the hotter and more miserable the night is, the better the planet views.  How we suffer for our hobby:-). 

JMD

Yup.  Those folks who worry about a scope 'not being able to keep up when the temperature plunges rapidly'..... On those sorts of nights the seeing is so crummy anyway that a heat plume won't even be noticed.  Go wide-field deep sky under those conditions.. 

Dave

• daquad likes this

#60 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 17 June 2021 - 06:32 PM

WSP 2022 fer sure!  On my Discmount DM6.  We can compare with my 20-inch Dob!!!

Dave

You will love the Tak.  In steady seeing they really show their stuff as will big Dobs with super good optics.

#61 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 17 June 2021 - 06:33 PM

My best seeing is in Feb on super warm nites with sea fog about to roll on shore with little temp drop. 1000x easy in bigger scopes.

#62 Nate1701

Nate1701

Messenger

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 17 June 2021 - 07:39 PM

i love how everyone was pooling ideas to try and make the refractor work! waytogo.gif

Even if it didn't happen in the end - it speaks to the true spirit of this forum - refractors!

all the best with your 210 Cotts.

#63 RichA

RichA

Skylab

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 18 June 2021 - 02:44 AM

I reacquired a 1988 6-inch AP refractor from 6-7 years ago (thread here) recently and have put it in my observatory on a pier extension. 

The scope pokes up into the rafters and has to be moved from its park position to open the roof.  OK, I can park it horizontally, I suppose...

When the scope is pointing up above about 50º elevation, where all the good seeing lives, the eyepiece is only about 2 -3' from the floor and I have to sit with my butt about a foot off the ground.  Getting TO this position and arising FROM it is a horror show for me and my back, knees and hips....  I've reached 70 years and I have found the visual observing with it superb from an optical standpoint and extremely tiring and not a little bit painful from my physical standpoint.  This has shortened sessions to only about 2 hours before I have to pack it in.... For some reason this didn't seem to bother me as much 6-8 years ago....

I've realized that perhaps I should have let this scope pass for its second visit in my life.... 

It certainly has re-sale value (this is not an offer of sale...)....

What would work for me and my body would be an 8-inch-ish MakCass or DK-Cass.   Eyepiece height much more manageable...

If the scope is uncomfortable to use, human nature says that it will be used less.....

I'm off to the Cats and Casses Forum to see what sort of gear.....

Dave

that is the beauty of the SCT, the fork-mounted SCT.  Very little eyepiece motion relative to nearly any other scope system.

• payner and sanbai like this

#64 CHASLX200

CHASLX200

ISS

Posted 18 June 2021 - 06:11 AM

Just out of curiosity, is that renowned Florida seeing universal throughout The Sunshine State (since no part is more than 75 miles from the coast), or is it primarily a coastal thing?

Clear Skies,

Phil

I never had that great of seeing inland. I had better seeing when i lived in Tampa on the bay. I am now right on the gulf.  And not every nite is still. But a so so nite here would be a steady nite for most of you living up north.

• paul m schofield likes this

#65 Bonco2

Bonco2

Viking 1

Posted 18 June 2021 - 03:48 PM

I've been observing in the Tampa area for 34 years. When I first moved here a typical night would visually reveal 4th mag stars. Now 3rd mag is a challenge. Seems there is less clear skies now too. But on occasion you can still get very steady skies. But it's not getting any better.  Good luck on the refractor replacement hope you find the sweet spot. Sure wish I had a shot at buying the 6 inch f/8. Sold mine years ago and still regret it.

Bill

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics