•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

EQMOD installation to my laptop problem

Astrophotography
  • Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 MikeDz

MikeDz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 June 2021 - 06:37 PM

I purchased a Skywatcher HEQ5 go to mount about 4 months ago and have been doing some astrophotography with guiding using PHD2 and APT connected by usb directly to my laptop - Lenovo Think Pad.  Now I want to take the next step and load EQMOD with a Shoestring Astronomy cable directly connecting my mount to my computer and controlling it through Stellarium.  I downloaded EQASCOM but have been unable to install it.

I get started with the installation and after it states "Setup is preparing to install EQMOD EQASCOM telescope driver on your computer"  I get the message after a red X :  "The following applications are using files that need to be updated by set up.  It is recommended that you allow setup to automatically close these applications.  After the installation is complete, set up will attempt to restore the applications.  There is a box with eqmod.exe as that application.

I have tried the different options to finish the install but have not been successful?  I end up with more error messages.  

I am not a computer guy, so If anyone has any suggestions, I would appreciate a response, or a recommendation of where to go for help.  The computer is about a year old and I had no issues downloading and implementing DSS, PHD2, APT and other programs.  Thank you in advance

#2 Phil Sherman

Phil Sherman

Gemini

• Loc: Cleveland, Ohio

Posted 13 June 2021 - 11:26 PM

Did you install the ASCOM platform? It's a prerequisite for EQASCOM.

#3 MikeDz

MikeDz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2021 - 09:41 AM

yes I have the latest ASCOM platform on the laptop.  Thanks

#4 MikeDz

MikeDz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2021 - 11:53 AM

Update- I was able to install EQMOD without the above error - I uninstalled EQMOD and a ASCON mount driver, shut the computer down, restarted it, and downloaded EQMOD again.  Installation as administrator went without a problem.  Now however, I get a problem after I configure everything and hit connect (to Stellarium), the HEQ 5/6 telescope changes from disconnected to "connecting" and the large EQMOD HEQ5/6 box comes up.  Under the mount position heading big red letters state "CONNECT ERROR PORT NOT AVAILABLE"   it will not connect to Stellarium

I have tried everything I could think of - including uninstalling and re-installing Stellarium with the same results.

#5 GarlicPermit

GarlicPermit

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Finland

Posted 14 June 2021 - 04:30 PM

Did you install the virtual COM- port drivers? They are necessary for EQMOD to work at all. I had trouble with this as its poorly explained in most places. Your cable might have had some sort of flyer in it telling you to install them, mine did. Although naturally i checked the packaging only after deciding that it didnt work.

Try this one: https://ftdichip.com...rs/vcp-drivers/

• MikeDz likes this

#6 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 14 June 2021 - 04:42 PM

Moving from Mounts to Astronomy Software & Computers for a potentially better fit.

• MikeDz likes this

#7 bdoyle

bdoyle

Sputnik

• Loc: Silver Springs, Nevada

Posted 15 June 2021 - 10:32 AM

Check device manager to see what port your cable is using. If you get the triangle or unknown device you will need drivers. This might need to be checked each time you setup. Also encoder resolution will need to be changed as eqmod defaults to an eq6.

Edited by bdoyle, 15 June 2021 - 10:33 AM.

#8 MikeDz

MikeDz

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 June 2021 - 01:18 PM

OK I'm celebrating - got the communications with my mount working.  Garlic Permit's suggestion that i needed to download a virtual com driver helped- I also had to change the baud rate to match my port (port 3) to 9600.   Thank you all- I really appreciate the responses and advice to check the device manager

#9 bips3453

bips3453

Mariner 2

• Loc: MN

Posted 15 June 2021 - 01:47 PM

woohoo.gif

#10 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 15 June 2021 - 01:58 PM

Glad it is working for you now.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics