•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Astro cameras

• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 louik

louik

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 13 June 2021 - 08:47 PM

Has anyone used an astro camera on their Questar

#2 Spikey131

Spikey131

Vanguard

Posted 13 June 2021 - 08:50 PM

http://astronomy.rob...rg/questar.html

#3 Toddeo

Toddeo

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Sierra Vista, AZ

Posted 13 June 2021 - 10:22 PM

I've used a  ZWOASI178MM, AWOASI178MC, ZWOASI290MC, ZWOASI120MC and a Neximage5, and a Canon T3i.

#4 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Apollo

• Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 13 June 2021 - 11:12 PM

Has anyone used an astro camera on their Questar

Look through this forum and you'll be shocked how much there is on astrophotography with the Questar.

Jim

• Terra Nova likes this

#5 mtr1

mtr1

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Westchester Co. NY

Posted 18 June 2021 - 02:05 PM

If you root around in Rob Pettengill's exhaustive website linked above, you might find my monograph on CCD imaging with a Q3.5.  I haven't updated it for CMOS cameras which have simplified many elements of backyard astrophotography since 2015.  But 2 quick points -- just as the Q is great for solar system observation, it punches above its weight for planetary imaging.  Second, deep sky is possible but can be a chore with Questar's high focal ratio.  That said, every once in a while I try something a little different, just to see if it will work.  I did this M13 last night just putting the camera (eyepiece format QHY 5iii 178 color) in the eyepiece port and used capture and processing techniques I've been refining with other gear.

M13sm.jpg

64 minutes total exposure time.  My scope was pretty well polar aligned from my solar session earlier in the day, so I didn't worry about guiding - this is an hour's worth of 4 second exposures.  It seems to work. 

Regards,

Mauri

• Paul Schroeder, astro140, Wisconsin Steve and 6 others like this

#6 medpeds

medpeds

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Nashville, TN

Posted 18 June 2021 - 02:49 PM

Thatโ€™s a very impressive image and underscores how versatile questars can be! Question: for Astro cameras such as yours how does one mount them on the axial port using the questar camera coupling set?

Edited by medpeds, 18 June 2021 - 02:49 PM.

#7 mtr1

mtr1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 June 2021 - 05:25 PM

Thanks!  I have a "slip fit adapter" which screws into the axial port and accepts a 1.25" accessory, so that would work.  Another approach would be to use the camera coupling set and an accessory like the Baader Focusing Eyepiece Holder (#2458125) which has a female T thread on one side and the other side is a nice 1.25" port.  I rarely use my coupling set -- it took me a few minutes to find it but I confirmed that the Baader T thread fits the coupler P thread pretty well; if you're loathe to run any cross-threading risk you should have a P to T adapter for the coupling set anyway.   All that said, the slip fit adapter is simple and versatile -- it holds a 1.25" Powermate nicely, for instance.... that's why I hardly ever use the coupling set.  If you're going to do planetary imaging having the Powermate or any other 1.25" barlow between the scope and the camera works nicely. 

#8 newbieskysurfer

newbieskysurfer

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 June 2021 - 11:24 AM

Very impressive Mauri!

-Omer

#9 mtr1

mtr1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 19 June 2021 - 12:42 PM

Omer, others  --

There are many ways to configure the Q for astrophotography.  I wanted to add this photo of the exact setup I used for the M13 image above because it is so simple*

Q with EP cam sm.JPG

* By using an EP format cam (this is the QHY 5iii178) you don't even have to think about balancing the scope to ensure faithful tracking.  The purpose of my asterisk is to remind you that the attached laptop is an integral component for this.  The "simple" capture requires a) finding and centering on a faint target using plate solving; b) focusing with great precision; c) controlling the camera and collecting about 4 GB of data over a span of two hours; d) communicating with my desktop inside the house so I could monitor progress and periodically step out to adjust the scope (my tracking was very good but not perfect).  And I then transferred the data to my desktop, but that particular laptop is powerful enough that I could have done all the processing (roughly a 2 hour project start to finish) in PixInsight on that machine. 

My point is that if you're already an intermediate level astrophotographer, you're used to doing all or most of that stuff anyway.  If you're new to AP, you'll find that dropping the camera into the Q  EP port is just as easy as changing eyepieces -- but after that step, things do get pretty complicated. 

Regards,

Mauri

• Wisconsin Steve, ETXer, justfred and 5 others like this

#10 JamesMStephens

JamesMStephens

Apollo

• Loc: Hattiesburg, Mississippi

Posted 19 June 2021 - 01:53 PM

Definitely worth a look https://vanderbei.pr...lks/Qfest02.pdf.

• ETXer, Terra Nova and rcwolpert like this

#11 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 19 June 2021 - 02:53 PM

Beautiful M13 image!

#12 rcwolpert

rcwolpert

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: South Hutchinson Island, Florida

Posted 19 June 2021 - 02:54 PM

Definitely worth a look https://vanderbei.pr...lks/Qfest02.pdf.

Interesting presentation!

#13 RMay

RMay

Messenger

• Loc: NorCal

Posted 19 June 2021 - 03:11 PM

...that presentation is almost 20 years old, and itโ€™s still amazingly relevant, even today. ๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘๐Ÿ‘

Ron
  • rcwolpert and JamesMStephens like this

#14 mtr1

mtr1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 June 2021 - 02:24 AM

Here's another Q3.5 image, done tonight, this time M27.  I added a 0.5x focal reducer and Astronomik CLS filter to the same camera shown above.  54 minutes total exposure, again unguided using 4 second exposures collected in SharpCap livestacks.

M27wm.jpg

Regards,

Mauri

• davidmcgo, cbwerner, ETXer and 4 others like this

#15 ETXer

ETXer

Viking 1

• Loc: Rockville, MD USA

Posted 29 June 2021 - 01:24 PM

And although I'm sure there better examples than these from many others here, the basic ASI120MC also can provide decent planetary results with the Q3.5.

Mars at last October's perihelion:

50451476376_940882a686_o.jpg

And Jupiter during the same timeframe:

50518205586_21f2b85ec1_n.jpg

Cheers, Allan

Edited by ETXer, 29 June 2021 - 01:26 PM.

• Paul Schroeder, davidmcgo, cbwerner and 4 others like this

#16 mtr1

mtr1

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 29 June 2021 - 03:10 PM

Yes indeed -- good illustrations of my point that the Q 3.5 "punches above its weight" for planetary imaging.  The images compare favorably to lesser scopes up to 8" and it's very easy to set up and operate with an astrocam. 

BTW Saturn and Jupiter are nicely positioned now in the dead of night.  I don't like setting up for imaging at 3 am but a couple of nights ago I pulled the camera out of the EP port to have a more conventional look (e.g. 11 mm Brandon) and both planets looked great -- darn these scopes are nice!

• ETXer and rcwolpert like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics