•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Sunflower Galaxy From Bortle 8 Skies

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter
  • Loc: SoCal

Posted 13 June 2021 - 10:26 PM

A little late in the season, here is the Sunflower Galaxy from my Bortle 8 Backyard. This was quite challenging to process. The blue channel for some reason had all manner of gradients. After processing the background looked even more blotchy than usual (as is the case for almost all images from my light polluted backyard). Colors are bit muted even after maxing out the saturation. Likely needs more color data. But all our images are a work in progress, aren't they? : )

Exposure: LRGB, 15x120s each channel

Setup: EdgeHD 8 @ F10, ASI1600MM Pro, RST-135 on my observatory pier

Software: NINA, PHD2, APP and Topaz Denoise AI

sunflower-galaxy-edgehd8-f10-asi1600mm-r

Edited by Astrojedi, 13 June 2021 - 10:27 PM.

• StephenW, schmeah, rwstanley and 22 others like this

#2 Professor2112

Professor2112

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 12:13 AM

Nice job! I’m currently working on m101 in LHaRGB from my bortle 8 yard, with 3 nights and just under 7hrs into it so far, 3hrs(1.5hrs each of Ha and L)of which I was lucky enough to capture from my parents bortle 4 home this weekend.  Funny you say your blue had the most gradients. For me shooting in bortle 8, my L has moderate gradients you’d expect from that LP zone, but it was my green filter that had the strongest gradient which I thought was weird. The other filters(R, B, Ha) have very little gradients. Maybe different locations have different dominant colors of light pollution?

#3 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:44 AM

Thanks. Typically luminance has the most gradients for me since I shoot unfiltered. But I suspect sky conditions are to blame here. Blue was the last filter I shot and by then ocean moisture was beginning to move in. But could be other factors as well.

#4 Professor2112

Professor2112

Viking 1

• Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 12:56 PM

That makes sense. There’s just too many factors at play to know for sure. I was thinking my green gradient came from the traffic light at the end of my street, but if that were the case I’d imagine red would have been affected as well, so who knows!

#5 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 15 June 2021 - 05:59 AM

This is just a 2 hours integration result, so what that will be under Bortle 8 with something like 5-10 hours at least?!!!

Nice result, the more i keep seeing results non NB from Bortle 7/8/9 the more i feel i have to keep going and not giving up, my sky isn't nice, still the streetlights aren't on for now until they finish the streets, but i can't tell how bad it will be later, now it is maybe Bortle 7 or 8, later will it be Bortle 9?

#6 Juno18

Juno18

Ranger 4

• Loc: Long Beach, Mississippi, USA

Posted 15 June 2021 - 06:25 AM

A beautiful M63! Great details with very nice color. Nice work!

Jim

• Astrojedi likes this

#7 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 June 2021 - 08:38 AM

This is just a 2 hours integration result, so what that will be under Bortle 8 with something like 5-10 hours at least?!!!

Nice result, the more i keep seeing results non NB from Bortle 7/8/9 the more i feel i have to keep going and not giving up, my sky isn't nice, still the streetlights aren't on for now until they finish the streets, but i can't tell how bad it will be later, now it is maybe Bortle 7 or 8, later will it be Bortle 9?

Thanks. I have tried longer integrations but I find that after 3-4 hours I see very little improvement. The first 2-3 hours gives the maximum bang for the buck so to speak. I also keep it to 2 hours as the weather can be fickle here close to the coast. The marine inversion layer or thick ocean moisture can move in very quickly and kill an imaging session.

#8 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Fly Me to the Moon

• topic starter

Posted 15 June 2021 - 08:39 AM

A beautiful M63! Great details with very nice color. Nice work!

Jim

Thanks Jim

#9 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 15 June 2021 - 08:48 AM

Nice image! Especially from light polluted skies!

• Astrojedi likes this

#10 TareqPhoto

TareqPhoto

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Ajman - UAE

Posted 15 June 2021 - 10:01 AM

Thanks. I have tried longer integrations but I find that after 3-4 hours I see very little improvement. The first 2-3 hours gives the maximum bang for the buck so to speak. I also keep it to 2 hours as the weather can be fickle here close to the coast. The marine inversion layer or thick ocean moisture can move in very quickly and kill an imaging session.

Ok, fair enough, thank you for this nice image again waytogo.gif

• Astrojedi likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics