•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Lunar occultation by Corvus brachyrhynchos

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 14 June 2021 - 02:47 AM

I was experimenting with some video using my DSLR and 200mm lens to see if a daytime near-miss of the ISS would be visible.  It was, but it's probably not even worth showing the quality is so poor.  However, during this experiment, a common American crow (Corvus brachyrhynchos) flew directly over the Moon.  Unfortunately, the 1080p video quality is terrible, but I was able to pull a few interesting frames.  I tried making an animated gif, but for some reason it doesn't display properly, like due to the poor quality of the data.  These are successive frames from the video at 60fps, shutter speed 1/1000s.  

crow2-TG.jpg

crow3-TG.jpg

crow4-TG.jpg

crow5-TG.jpg

• Dave Mitsky, frank5817, airscottdenning and 8 others like this

#2 Borodog

Borodog

Vanguard

• -----

Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:58 AM

You are king of IFOs transiting the Moon, Tom. Thanks for sharing.

Edited by Borodog, 14 June 2021 - 08:42 PM.

#3 John_Moore

John_Moore

Author: Craters of the Nearside Moon

• -----
  • Vendors

Posted 14 June 2021 - 04:48 PM

Tom, I know you won't mind me in putting together a simple animation of your Crow and Moon images below, but I think looking at it, it, visually, must have been way faster than presented.

We are used to seeing planes and satellites (ISS etc.,) passing the face of the Moon from our earth perspective, but never a crow. The crow is considered as the smartest of birds, so I think this crow-guy/gal had you well in sight beforehand lol.gif

From the initial wing compression views in your sequence of images, this crow might have been descending (just like a falcon does so to increase speed when zooming in on a potential target below its height).

Btw, I love the description for a group of crows as 'A murder of Crows', which sets off all imaginations of sorts as to why.

John

MoonCrow

Edited by John_Moore, 14 June 2021 - 11:06 PM.

• airscottdenning likes this

#4 RMay

RMay

Messenger

• Loc: NorCal

Posted 14 June 2021 - 06:46 PM

Well done!

Ron

#5 Tom Glenn

Tom Glenn

Gemini

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 15 June 2021 - 02:28 AM

Thanks Mike, John, and Ron!

John, thanks for the animation.  I have a similar version, but for some reason when I texted the image to my phone to test it there (as I often do for compatibility) it didn't work well.  I think it's more of a problem with the messaging app versus the web forum, however, as it appears normally in a browser (as does yours).  Indeed, the real elapsed time of the sequence is about 1/20s, so perhaps 15x faster than your animation.  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics