Dear astro friends,
I would be very grateful if you could help me in understanding the below issue(s) which I am about to describe.
First, after several weeks of efforts in building-up my new roll-off observatory, I finally had yesterday the chance to give a try to my freshly installed equipment by pointing my gear towards NCG 6960. As of now, I have the following rigs (see attached image) :
• Main Scope : LX600 14" permanently installed on a pier (with x-wedge) which I plan to use for very faint DSO (galaxies, etc.)
• Small refractor piggyback on the main scope (for wide-field imaging)
• Starlock as the main guiding system
Before imaging, I went though the following steps
1. Make sure that I have a "perfectly" balanced equipment (vertically, horizontally, etc.)
2. PEC training of the the mount (Did it a few days ago)
3. Starlock Auto Rate Calibration for a "smooth" tracking (got 33% & 35% rate)
4. Then I deactivated the High Precision Pointing in Starlock to be able to plate solve (successful with APT tool)
After step 4, I started imaging NCG 6960 with the small refractor (60 x 240 sec/exposure). Just to make sure that everything was running as planned, I did check the first 6 shots (so far so good).
However, when I went through the images this morning, I faced the following issues :
- Despite having perfectly centered the target by using the goto++ option in APT, the target was drifted away from the center as the night goes on (see below links, three images as examples @ 00.53, 02.06, 3.40 = sorry for the poor quality, had to downsize a lot...).
- I noticed also stars trailing on some images.
- what would be the reason (s) of having the target being drifted away from the center of the image ?
- I had also star trailing on some images. Could that also be related to the image being shifted from the center, or due to Starlock ?
Additional thought : as for my setup, would recommend to use an OAG with the small refractor while imaging wide-filed DSO rather than using Starlock (i.e. use only Starlock when imaging with the 14"?)
I thank you very much in advance for your kind support.
Regards from Switzerland.
PS EDIT : I have just realized that I probably forgot to take out the cap of the small camera sensor (on Starlock) (I don't recall having taking it out...) ..... !!!! Do you think it might have caused the above mentioned issues (drift, star trailing, etc.) ??
Edited by kzar, 14 June 2021 - 05:12 AM.