•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

WIRE FREE CONNECTION OF LX200 HANDBOX ?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 WINDY

WINDY

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2021 - 05:30 AM

As a bit of a IT dinosaur, I have a simple question. On an permanently mounted LX200,  Is it possible to replace [only ] the normal handbox cable connection with [say] a Bluetooth  system.  I have no need to change the Autostar RS232 serial connection- this is already hardwired to the pier from the warm room and all works fine. I would just like to remove local handset wiring.

#2 michael8554

michael8554

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 14 June 2021 - 06:31 AM

Do you have a Classic LX200, or a LX200GPS ?  Very different beasts.

There are LX200 Virtual Handsets that will control both types from your warm room PC.

For the LX200GPS Autostar II there is the WiFi ScopeBoss for iOS phones and tablets.

A few posts down from here is "Autostar II Replacement Solution for the Android community".

So plenty of choice if you search.

#3 Bobodude

Bobodude

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:57 PM

I use the Meade Stella wireless controller on my 12” LX200 gps.   I can use either my iPhone or iPad to control the scope. Using the Stella app.  It works great. You just log onto the Stella’s WiFi network, then connect to the scope via the app and away ya go.

#4 WINDY

WINDY

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 June 2021 - 11:54 AM

T

#5 WINDY

WINDY

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 15 June 2021 - 12:01 PM

Thank you both for your comments. The query was my very first step and you have  both helped me to the next. It looks like the solution will involve some sort of touch screen. I am going to miss the tactile properties of the handbox. The ability to "touch type" without looking at the handbox  is a nice feature but I suppose I must learn to compromise, as others must have done.

#6 michael8554

michael8554

Apollo

• -----

Posted 16 June 2021 - 09:24 AM

The PC Virtual Handboxes will require mouse-clicks, no touch screen.

I've not been able to use the touch-screen handbox on my iPhone without first looking at what button I'm pressing, so I'm not sure what  you mean about "Touch Typing" ?

#7 WINDY

WINDY

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 June 2021 - 02:54 PM

I find I can use  frequently needed handbox buttons without looking at them. This is convenient at the eyepiece, ie not having to look away for the simpler operations. I have a GPS mount so I understand from earlier posts that PC Virtual Handbox is unsuitable.

#8 michael8554

michael8554

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 June 2021 - 02:41 AM

Like I said earlier, PC VIrtual Handboxes will work with the Classic and GPS models.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics