•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Bresser Exos 2 GoTo Mount Connection to PC doesn’t work properly

• Please log in to reply
38 replies to this topic

#26 Halfstar

Halfstar

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Pipe Creek Texas

Posted 20 August 2021 - 10:44 AM

I am hoping someone can give me advice on getting my EXOS2GT First Light mount to work with Stellarium, I have tried everything but can't get the mount to move when I open Stellarium,
I downloaded Ascom, Bresser Drivers, Stellarium and Stellarium scope set everything up per the instructions but My Mount just won't talk to Stellarium, it won't move when I click on Control and the number designated to my mount in the configuration box

I bought the mount from Explore Scientific about four years ago, and gave up on trying to use a computer with it, then recently decided to try again
I have spent a ton of money and bought everything suggested by other people trying to get it to work

I read on Cloudy Nights some people are using the upgrade  EQStarProEQ5 kit, but it is for a EQ5

I have upgraded the Bresser Hand Control to 2.2.3

I have the Bresser cable for the EXOS2 GT  
The Handset see picture has no identification label on it, it looks like the Picture in the manual

My question is, do I need a different cable to make it work
when I try to get Stellarium to move the scope I get a message saying it does not recognize USB 1,  I have the cable connected to USB Port 5, confirmed by checking my Device manager, so puzzled by why it tells me USB1

I read that the original mounts were Mead, then Explore Scientific joined with Bresser and rebranded the mount, can you help me to find out which model my First Light is, and if I can upgrade the motors to make it work.  I also own an HEQ5 and it works perfectly and I Love it, but my EXOS2GT just doesn't let me use my laptop

Thank You 

• spysky96 likes this

#27 spysky96

spysky96

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: PNW

Posted 20 August 2021 - 06:25 PM

Hi Halfstar,

I have not tired connecting to Stellarium with the Bresser hand controller. I can say connection to linux machine will be easier. Using Kstars with the new update to Indi drivers which now supports the Bresser drivers with serial com. port might be an easy way to get Stellarium to work. getting the Ascom drivers to work with Stellarium was my biggest issue. I was not able to get it to work. If you can get the Ascom to work with the basic scope/mount control mode then you will be on the right track to get Stellarium to work.

As for the EqstarProEQ5 kit. Yes it does fit on the EXOS-2 One bolt for the DEC motor on top of the saddle and one bolt for RA motor which under the polar scope near the pivot point of the Latitude adjustment.  I will post pictures later.

I am hoping someone can give me advice on getting my EXOS2GT First Light mount to work with Stellarium, I have tried everything but can't get the mount to move when I open Stellarium,
I downloaded Ascom, Bresser Drivers, Stellarium and Stellarium scope set everything up per the instructions but My Mount just won't talk to Stellarium, it won't move when I click on Control and the number designated to my mount in the configuration box

I bought the mount from Explore Scientific about four years ago, and gave up on trying to use a computer with it, then recently decided to try again
I have spent a ton of money and bought everything suggested by other people trying to get it to work

I read on Cloudy Nights some people are using the upgrade  EQStarProEQ5 kit, but it is for a EQ5

I have upgraded the Bresser Hand Control to 2.2.3

I have the Bresser cable for the EXOS2 GT  
The Handset see picture has no identification label on it, it looks like the Picture in the manual

My question is, do I need a different cable to make it work
when I try to get Stellarium to move the scope I get a message saying it does not recognize USB 1,  I have the cable connected to USB Port 5, confirmed by checking my Device manager, so puzzled by why it tells me USB1

I read that the original mounts were Mead, then Explore Scientific joined with Bresser and rebranded the mount, can you help me to find out which model my First Light is, and if I can upgrade the motors to make it work.  I also own an HEQ5 and it works perfectly and I Love it, but my EXOS2GT just doesn't let me use my laptop

Thank You 

#28 Halfstar

Halfstar

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Pipe Creek Texas

Posted 20 August 2021 - 07:16 PM

Spysky96

Eager to see your pics when you have time to post them and can you tell me about Kstars trying to look it up

#29 spysky96

spysky96

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 August 2021 - 08:31 PM

Side pic

Attached Thumbnails

• PXL_20210820_225037983-01.png

#30 spysky96

spysky96

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 August 2021 - 08:45 PM

Here is the RA motor

Attached Thumbnails

• PXL_20210820_225055322-01.png

#31 spysky96

spysky96

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 August 2021 - 08:46 PM

Here is the RA bolt

Attached Thumbnails

• PXL_20210820_232708438-01.png

#32 spysky96

spysky96

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 20 August 2021 - 08:50 PM

RA belt drive

Attached Thumbnails

• PXL_20210820_225130884-01.jpeg

#33 roncreswell

roncreswell

Lift Off

Posted 30 August 2021 - 11:38 PM

Hello everybody,

I really hope somebody can help me out. I have almost no patience left with this mount.

I have a BRESSER Exos 2 GOTO Mount with the Firmware 2.3 and the correct cable for the connection.
I also can connect the mount with my laptop using POTH. However, I have had absolutely no luck in trying to use Stellarium and Cartes Du Ciel consistently. I had it work once or twice maybe in the morning. The crosshairs, the slewing of the mount and the syncing worked perfectly. When I turned the laptop off and tried to do the exact same thing later in the evening, it didn’t work at all. Frustrating to say the least.
I think I tried everything I found online already for the last two months. It just doesn’t work properly all the time. And I really don’t get, why it worked once but now it doesn’t work at all anymore. Whether it is the syncing, the slewing or something else. It never works correctly anymore. Reinstalling everything didn’t help either.

Can somebody tell me how he uses the mount and what his procedure is? It would be greatly appreciated.

Sorry for my bad English. It is not my main language. If necessary, I can tell you everything I already tried.

All the best!!!!

For some reason, the ASCOM driver often loses touch with the USB/UART driver upon start of Stellarium.  I use Device Hub but I believe POTH has the same issue.  As a work around, I:

Before starting Stellarium:

1. Run the ASCOM Device Hub or POTH facility

2.  Click the Disconnect button for the telescope (Bresser Exos) driver

3.  Disconnect the USB to UART-Serial converter and listen for the Windows tone indicating deactivation of the device

4.  Reconnect the USB to UART-Serial converter and listen for the Windows tone indicating reactivation of the device.

5. Click the Connect button for the telescope (Bresser Exos) driver.

6.  Look for the Park position coordinates to show up on the driver monitor panel.

7. Start Stellarium

If for some reason it disconnects again, repeat steps 1 through 6 again but disconnect the scope at the Stellarium plugin first.

Steps 1 through 6 take all of 15 seconds.  You'll get so you can do it in your sleep.

Edited by roncreswell, 30 August 2021 - 11:39 PM.

• spysky96 likes this

#34 spysky96

spysky96

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 31 August 2021 - 12:05 AM

Good to information!

For some reason, the ASCOM driver often loses touch with the USB/UART driver upon start of Stellarium.  I use Device Hub but I believe POTH has the same issue.  As a work around, I:

Before starting Stellarium:

1. Run the ASCOM Device Hub or POTH facility

2.  Click the Disconnect button for the telescope (Bresser Exos) driver

3.  Disconnect the USB to UART-Serial converter and listen for the Windows tone indicating deactivation of the device

4.  Reconnect the USB to UART-Serial converter and listen for the Windows tone indicating reactivation of the device.

5. Click the Connect button for the telescope (Bresser Exos) driver.

6.  Look for the Park position coordinates to show up on the driver monitor panel.

7. Start Stellarium

If for some reason it disconnects again, repeat steps 1 through 6 again but disconnect the scope at the Stellarium plugin first.

Steps 1 through 6 take all of 15 seconds.  You'll get so you can do it in your sleep.

#35 h2enning

h2enning

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 September 2021 - 11:57 AM

Hi,

i have a Bresser EXOS-2 GoTo mount and i am not the happiest with the control/handbox firmware and the GoTo quality.

I was just wondering, if it is possible to keep the motors of the mount and just replace the handbox by this guy (https://astro-gadget...quatorial-mount)?

Has anyone tried that?

Best

Henning

• spysky96 likes this

#36 spysky96

spysky96

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 06 September 2021 - 12:25 PM

Don't know But I will give it a try I do have the Pro version of the astro gadget I will get a multi meter and test the pins for voltage and give it a go and report back.

Hi,

i have a Bresser EXOS-2 GoTo mount and i am not the happiest with the control/handbox firmware and the GoTo quality.

I was just wondering, if it is possible to keep the motors of the mount and just replace the handbox by this guy (https://astro-gadget...quatorial-mount)?

Has anyone tried that?

Best

Henning

• h2enning likes this

#37 spysky96

spysky96

Sputnik

• -----

Posted 07 September 2021 - 09:46 AM

Hi Henning 

I will give it a try this weekend but if you can not wait for that long you could email them and ask the question. The two issues I could think of would be the power supply for the EqMod box has a rang of 10v-28v and the gearing would be the other.

Hi,

Has anyone tried that?

Best

Henning

#38 PatrickVt

PatrickVt

Viking 1

• ****-
  • Loc: Vermont, US

Posted 07 September 2021 - 09:54 AM

Power supply range and gear ratios are the two potential problems I had immediately thought of when I read this last question.  I would email them to specifically ask about the Bresser EXOS2.  

Patrick

#39 h2enning

h2enning

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 10 September 2021 - 02:11 PM

So i mailed AG an directly got a reply. But I need to send them a image of the motors in the mount. Let's see, if I find time to open it the next days.

But it looks like it is possible to replace the HBX, if the motors are NEMA stepper motors.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics