•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Best views ever of saturn and jupiter early morning sat june 12

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Cfeastside

Cfeastside

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Eastern sierra California

Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:02 AM

I really wish i couldve gotten a pic of these two as it is the best ive seen of these two and included the shadow of ganymede crossing jupiter.  This   was early saturday morning between 3am to 4am pst june 12.  The seeing was excellent at my dark sky site that i was at, elev 7800 ft and sqm of 21.67(earlier in the evening). The temp was a steady 32*F 

i was using my 9.25 evolution with TV 13 and 11 Delite eps.  

saturn:  guys, i have never seen such a spectacular image of saturn through an EP.  like i was looking at a hubble telescope photo!   I had no problem using the 11 delite and really shouldve used my 2x balow with it or with the 13 delite, but i didnt think of it until i had finished observing. It was so steady and no tube currents to speak of. Which is  amazing in itself!  The 9.25 really stuggles to keep up with quickly changing temps.  

the differnt shades of colorful banding on the planet were clearly visible as well as its rings.  The cassini division was plainly visible.  I was trying to discern the inner rings but couldnt really tell just a light color there.  

jupiter:  i believe i was seeing ganymedes shadow just finishing its crossing.  I dont think it was a floater in my eyes😉.  I was pretty stoked at that as it has been a loooong time since ive witnessed that.   I just got back into this hobby a year ago.  Jupiters bands were nicely visible.  My best memories of jupiter, circa 1998-2003 i distinctly remember sawtooth like structure in some of the clouds and a much more red red spot.  I didnt notice any of that during this viewing or recent views.  Maybe thats no longer visible of my 9.25 lacks the contrast to see it. My Parks 8” reflector has better contrast.  Ive read that the great red spot has changed to a much lighter color.  And i believe i saw that in the lower left corner?  

so glad to have these two visible again. Even though its early but i think thats the best time for steady seeing and steady temps which are sooo important.  Cant wait to view these with my Parks 8” that now has rotating rings and is steady as a rock on my cgx mount.  

edit:  it appears i saw ganymede its self not its shadow crossing in front of jupiter.  Based on reding others posts about this. Wow amazing!

Edited by Cfeastside, 14 June 2021 - 10:59 AM.

• Dave Mitsky, Special Ed, dave253 and 6 others like this

#2 Ayaan Hashim

Ayaan Hashim

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Possibly Bortle 8-9, Mumbai, Maharashtra, India

Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:18 AM

Wow! Pretty awesome! The seeing must have been pretty good!

• Cfeastside likes this

#3 payner

payner

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Bluegrass & SW Appalachian Regions, Kentucky

Posted 14 June 2021 - 09:20 AM

The GRS is now (at least has been, I have not viewed Jupiter this apparition) salmon rather than red. It is less "in your face", but obvious. You may have been observing the planet when the GRS was on the other side of the planet.

Nice report and great seeing is the key to seeing subtle detail. Saturn read as especially enjoyable.

Randy

• flt158, Tyson M, Cfeastside and 1 other like this

#4 DirtyRod

DirtyRod

Mariner 2

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 14 June 2021 - 09:29 AM

Good stuff. I happened to be imaging at the same time Sat morning and was told that the shadow of Ganymede was actually the moon itself and not a shadow. Hard to confirm on my pics since Ganymede is dark but I've seen other posts on here that confirm it. 

• Cfeastside likes this

#5 Notdarkenough

Notdarkenough

Ranger 4

• Loc: 4700' ft elevation at 41°

Posted 14 June 2021 - 03:48 PM

My first views of Jupiter & Saturn with Naglers and it was wonderful! Glad I wasn't the only one enjoying the morning! 

• Cfeastside likes this

#6 nibiru711

nibiru711

Explorer 1

Posted 16 June 2021 - 04:03 AM

They have been really good so far this year although last night there was too much air turbulence but tonight they were looking really good once again. I saw ganymeade transiting with the 6 inch dob but not with the 5 inch mak.

• Cfeastside likes this

#7 phillip

phillip

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Sterling, Illinois

Posted 16 June 2021 - 04:53 AM

Perhaps you may actually have caught the Ganymede moon crossing, unusual to see this as moons blend in. I did a posting below, several thought it was indeed the moon ! Seem to verify this checking SkySafari 

Regardless, definitely view was amazing as caught it here in the Midwest. 

Sky that Saturday was Spectacular!

Clear Sky

XT10 Dob

10mm Baader, 8mm Clave, 6mm ortho

4.8mm Nagler

Edited by phillip, 16 June 2021 - 04:55 AM.

• Cfeastside likes this

#8 CBM1970

CBM1970

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southern Maine

Posted 16 June 2021 - 07:46 AM

Great report! I used to spend time in the eastern Sierra,, but I never viewed the skies there. It sounds amazing..

I've returned to this hobby after decades without a scope and it is great to see the planets again.

I used to see the sawtooth edges of the Equatorial bands on Jupiter on nights of good seeing with my C8, so I expect they'll show up in the 9.25 when they are most visible.

I've seen Jupiter and Saturn a few times this year, with my 6 inch newt.
The views have been really nice. They are somewhat different from what I saw with my C8 in the 1980s. I often think these differences are the result of periodic changes on the planets themselves - especially Jupiter. I remember two very prominent eq bands from my 1980s views - clearer and thicker and sharper than I see today (with sawtooth edges on good nights - also festooned in the whiter areas).

In my recent views, the band boundaries seem more subtle. However, I am seeing more detail in the higher latitudes of the planet - thin cloud bands - these seem much more prominent than before.

When I look at the amazing astro photos that get posted here on CN, they line up with my observations - one eq band much more subtle than the other, but dark thin bands closer to the poles being prominent.

Anyway, congrats on your great views. Hopefully the steady seeing will continue (and some will migrate in my direction).

Edited by CBM1970, 16 June 2021 - 07:57 AM.

• Cfeastside likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics