•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

iOptron mounts with EC

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 kalski44

kalski44

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:05 AM

I am relatively new in astrophotography. Since a few months I'm using budget mount (iExos-100) and I am quite happy, hover I would like to buy telescope RC6", it means that I need new mount with higher capacity and better tracking. Due to mobility I am focused on iOptron CEM26 or GEM28 (depends on availability), but there is one feature which is not clear for me... I'm talking about versions with "EC" - error corrections. I have found an info that this is an additional electronics which correct errors - that is clear, but what is real adventage in compare to the versions without that system? what tracking improvement can I expect in compare to the version without EC? is it worth to pay two times more?

#2 Tapio

Tapio

Skylab

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:19 AM

I have EC version (CEM60) but I rarely benefit using encoders.
In theory it allows you to track without help of autoguiding - up to a point.
But encoders in iOptron mounts are not so good as are in premium mounts like 10Micron.
So if you are wondering if you need it I'd say no.

#3 GoldSpider

GoldSpider

Apollo

• Loc: Pennsylvania

Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:20 AM

I am relatively new in astrophotography. Since a few months I'm using budget mount (iExos-100) and I am quite happy, hover I would like to buy telescope RC6", it means that I need new mount with higher capacity and better tracking. Due to mobility I am focused on iOptron CEM26 or GEM28 (depends on availability), but there is one feature which is not clear for me... I'm talking about versions with "EC" - error corrections. I have found an info that this is an additional electronics which correct errors - that is clear, but what is real adventage in compare to the versions without that system? what tracking improvement can I expect in compare to the version without EC? is it worth to pay two times more?

I don't have any experience with the EC mounts, but considering how good guiding software is at handling periodic error, I think it's hard to justify the extra cost on that basis alone.

It might be something to consider if you're not planning on guiding, but speaking for myself, that's not the route I'd take.

#4 Tom M

Tom M

Viking 1

• Loc: Indiana

Posted 14 June 2021 - 09:39 AM

You mentioned that it depends on availability and that's likely going to be the driving force for the near term. If you decide on a non-EC mount then you should get on a waiting list ASAP to ensure you can get one when they finally arrive. I know the last shipment from iOptron to the vendors did not have any of the lower weight mounts in it so it's unclear when they might arrive. I would hazard a guess that what is being delivered are mounts that have a higher manufacturing profit margin and the lower weight mounts probably don't meet that criteria.

Personally, I got tired of waiting and opted to pick up a GEM28EC as those, while scarce, are available from several vendors. However it's a certainly more $$$ and there's been a fair amount of discussion on using Phd2 when guiding an EC mount.

I did manage to get good 2 minute unguided subs after doing a PA when I first gave my EC mount a try. I also got acceptable several 5 minute unguided subs. But this is certainly all YMMV territory.

#5 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 14 June 2021 - 01:21 PM

At this point I would not pay up for an encoder version but I would not be concerned about buying one unless I planned to use a really long focal length telescope. That's unlikely to be the situation with the smaller mounts. I think, based on my experience, that it will, in fact give you better guiding. It will allow you to go longer unguided but that improvement may be of little or no use to you. 

Rgrds-Ross

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics