•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

New astrophotography Canon camera

DSLR Equipment Imaging
  • Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 arciaq

arciaq

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:41 AM

Hi 

I'm looking for a new camera for about 500$.

Is there any reason to buy Canon 6D and use it with skywatcher 80ed or is it waste of money?

If not i'm thinking about canon 600d+ (700d/750d/760d/800)

Thanks for help,

#2 Gipht

Gipht

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Prescott Valley, AZ.

Posted 14 June 2021 - 08:57 AM

My unmodified Canon 6D matches well with my 102mm f/7 Stellarvue telescope.  The large pixels of the 6D  allow for slightly shorter exposure times, and the camera noise is much less then my  Canon T3i.

You are getting in the price range where a new or used astronomy camera  could be a better choice.  The ASI533MC would be an example: https://agenaastro.c...led-camera.html

The cooled astronomy cameras offer advantages in fewer calibration files, and they do not require modification.

Either way, I would also recommend a dual band filter to help with nebula pictures.

#3 astrodom

astrodom

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: NY , USA

Posted 14 June 2021 - 10:24 AM

Hi, I think a big decision is if you want a full frame or crop sensor.   My crop sensor Canon 600D works well with my 80mm scope but when I put a full frame 6D, I can see some coma in the corners, which I have to crop out myself, so it's not as much of an advantage.   The 6D is lower noise though.  If you can get an astro-modified 600D or 6D for your budgeted amount, both should work well.  I agree a dedicated cooled camera is better, but I doubt you would find one in the price you suggested.  Good luck. 

• bobzeq25 likes this

#4 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 14 June 2021 - 10:52 AM

I think you're going to find a 6D, modified, well out of your price range, and the 80ED won't cover the full frame well, anyway.  You might as well get a 533 astro specific camera.

One of the others is a good possibility. .

#5 t-ara-fan

t-ara-fan

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: 50° 13' N

Posted 14 June 2021 - 02:59 PM

The cooled astronomy cameras offer advantages in fewer calibration files, and they do not require modification.

The 6D is a very good camera.  My Orion ED80T CF with flattener shows elongated stars in the corner of the 6D. Hardly a tragedy, 99% of the targets can be cropped just fine.

The BIG advantage is you get with a cooled camera is just 10% of the noise you get with a DSLR.  Stacking math tells us that to achieve that 10% noise level with a DSLR you need 100 subs. Of course that doubles the price you were suggesting.

#6 jgraham

jgraham

ISS

• Loc: Miami Valley Astronomical Society

Posted 15 June 2021 - 09:13 AM

The only challenge that I see in the 6D is that it is a full-frame camera and it can be a bit tough covering a full frame. However, that's not necessarily a bad thing as it means you will be capturing everything that your telescope is capable of capturing. Over the years I have used a great variety of cameras including cooled and uncooled astro cameras, mono and color astro cameras, stock and modified DSLRs. Everything is a balance of pros and cons. In addition to being full-frame (nice big high quality color sensor at an affordable price) the 6D has nice big pixels giving it good sensitivity. The downside is that the big pixels may limit your resolution and you may want to check to make sure that you are at least a bit over-sampling with your scope. (You want sharply focused stars to be at least a smidge larger than one pixel to avoid pixelation.) If you are looking at other cameras to be honest I like anything from the 450D onwards. I have used the 350D, 400D, 450D, 550D, and 600D and there was a big jump between the 400D and 450D and the models since then were a more steady progression, but the 450D is still one of my favorite cameras. I recently started using my first full-frame camera (a Nikon D610a) and I really like it, but with its full-frame sensor I'm finding that its a bit of a specialty camera in that it's not necessarily a good match for some of my scopes, but for those that can cover the full-frame (primarily my MN6 Comet Hunter and RC8) it does a fantastic job. For most of my other scopes, the smaller APS-c (Canon 450D and later, Nikon D5300) is a better match, and the slightly smaller type 4/3" (ASI294MC series) isn't bad.

Soooo, I'd suggest that the 6D isn't a bad choice and may offer some room to grow, but any of the 450D and later APS-c cameras would also serve you well. To max-out the capability of a DSLR you may eventually plan on having it H-alpha modified. For me, this was the single best improvement and saved me a lot of money by delaying my entry back into the cooled camera market and has made my DSLRs the sweet spot in my imaging gear with an excellent balance of cost, capability, reliability, and simplicity.

Enjoy!

#7 Dragon Man

Dragon Man

Gemini

• Loc: Snake Valley, Australia

Posted 18 June 2021 - 07:43 AM

I'm another supporter of the Canon 450d.

One of the biggest advantages is that they can be found on ebay for as low as $35 but average around $120.

If you don't like the results, you haven't blown a huge $$ outlay. Someone else will buy it from you as they are still very popular.

Then you can step up to a cooled Astro Camera if the desire is still there.

An example of prices for 450d: https://www.ebay.com...n 450d&_sacat=0

#8 arciaq

arciaq

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 24 June 2021 - 11:47 AM

Thank you all guys for help.

I decided to buy canon 6D and then modify it.

#9 michael8554

michael8554

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Wiltshire UK

Posted 25 June 2021 - 05:53 AM

Jgraham said "the big pixels may limit your resolution and you may want to check to make sure that you are at least a bit over-sampling with your scope"

With your 700mm FL 89ED the image scale is 1.92 arcsecs/pixel.

I get excellent results with a 6D Mk 1 at 1400mm FL, which is 0.96 arcsecs/pixel.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: DSLR, Equipment, Imaging

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics