•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Oberwerk 15x70 Ultra versus APM 16x70 ED MS

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#26 MT4

MT4

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo, JP

Posted 17 June 2021 - 08:06 PM

Nate, for me, the luxury of the 16x70 MS ED's long ER and flat field in combination are worthwhile.  I replaced my Fuji 16x70 FMTs with the APMs mainly for the longer ER, which for my face, is way more comfortable viewing at high angles than the shorter ER eyepieces like the FMTs and the Ultra-type binos. I can rock the binos upward from my browbones to gain altitude without bending my neck as much due to that longer ER.  Both the FMTs and APMs have flatter fields than the 70mm competition, while the Ultras lose some sharpness towards the edges of the field, as the Nikon 18x70s are reported to do as well, FWIW.

Every time I read about the 16x70 MS ED's long ER and flat field, I feel like I should have this instrument in my collection.   I need to wear eyeglasses for observation due to a moderate level of astigmatism in both eyes and so eye relief is an important factor for me.  I have the Nikon 18x70 and am able to see its full FOV after removing the plastic eyecups and putting on some O-rings, a trick I learned from SMark in one of his many posts.  However, there's always that nagging feeling that when looking at objects high up in the sky the eye relief is a bit tight, especially when I put the Nikon 18x70 on a tripod.  On the subject of edge-to-edge sharpness, the Nikon 18x70 isn't quite there but so far its lack of edge sharpness hasn't bothered me much and here it's quite similar to the Nikon EII 8x30.  Perhaps it's the super wide field (70 deg) that makes me forget about the lack of edge sharpness, or that I just tend to focus on the central region which is stunningly sharp in both Nikon instruments.

Is the true FOV of the 16x70 MS ED 4.1 deg, making the AFOV 16*4.1 = 65.6 deg?  If you have the Fujinon FMT-SX 10x50, which instrument has the bigger AFOV ?   Thank you.

#27 Rich V.

Rich V.

Cosmos

• Loc: Lake Tahoe area, Nevada

Posted 17 June 2021 - 08:25 PM

Is the true FOV of the 16x70 MS ED 4.1 deg, making the AFOV 16*4.1 = 65.6 deg?  If you have the Fujinon FMT-SX 10x50, which instrument has the bigger AFOV ?   Thank you.

IIRC, EdZ measured the 10x50FMTs FOV at 6.7° so the simple AFOV calculation would be 67°.  It's in the bino tests in the Best Of.

I agree; I have both EII models and the FC doesn't bother me that much.  Their 70° AFOV is wide enough not to really care much.

Rich

• MT4 likes this

#28 MT4

MT4

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Tokyo, JP

Posted 17 June 2021 - 08:57 PM

IIRC, EdZ measured the 10x50FMTs FOV at 6.7° so the simple AFOV calculation would be 67°.  It's in the bino tests in the Best Of.

I agree; I have both EII models and the FC doesn't bother me that much.  Their 70° AFOV is wide enough not to really care much.

Rich

Ah that may explain why I've always had the impression that the true FOV of the Fujinon FMT-SX 10x50 may be larger than 6.5 degrees.  Side by side with the Nikon MHG 10x42, which has a 6.9-deg FOV according to the specs, the Fujinon's FOV doesn't feel that much smaller.  Instead, it feels wonderfully wide and sharp.

• Fiske likes this

#29 Nate1701

Nate1701

Messenger

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:56 PM

Found this video - informative comments:

https://www.youtube....h?v=dmFmndlqbMU

The Lunt is not ED but it's gives a nice visual on the differences of these two models minus the ED glass.

#30 Stopforths

Stopforths

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 28 June 2021 - 06:10 PM

I just ordered some ultra 15 x 70mm  

the fact this guy offers such great service that the are able to be adjusted by the owner plus the overall reviews helped me make my mind up.  Definitely considered the ED 16 x 70 but its a lot more money for not much more quality.

CA won't be bad at 15 x in the ultras.  The fact they are half the price and around 90% of the performance is enough to win me over.

Great post!

I've bought all my large binos and binoscopes from Kevin at Oberwerk because they are reasonably close to me (close enough to visit) and I like to support local business when I can. Kevin is also a great guy that offers more than just a product, so that helps, too.

Still, I've often wondered if I might be missing out by going with the Obies instead of APM. Your comparison has really confirmed I made the right choices for the right reasons.

waytogo.gif

#31 Stopforths

Stopforths

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 21 July 2021 - 12:29 AM

I've also gone for the ultra 15 x 70 mm.  I'm sold on the fact they can be adjusted  by the owner and the fact they run Fujinon 16 x 70's close for half the money.

I'm waiting for them to arrive and have a reasonable tripod to use them on.

I just ordered some ultra 15 x 70mm  

the fact this guy offers such great service that the are able to be adjusted by the owner plus the overall reviews helped me make my mind up.  Definitely considered the ED 16 x 70 but its a lot more money for not much more quality.

CA won't be bad at 15 x in the ultras.  The fact they are half the price and around 90% of the performance is enough to win me over.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics