•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Obsession telescope upgrades?

• Please log in to reply
52 replies to this topic

#51 Madmac

Madmac

Lift Off

• Loc: Houston 🤨

Posted 04 September 2021 - 12:37 AM

So, having recently gained access to a laser cutter, I built a tailgate that holds six fans. A center fan and three spaced evenly around it. Two small fans are in the upper corners blowing on a bit of hard paper velcroed to the box to divert air across the mirror. It's recent but seems to work well. I couldn't see any vibration at 380x. I haven't had good enough seeing to go higher than that but I rarely will. 

I bought a 2004 15” Classic back in June, and just recently discovered how important cooling the mirror is after I started seeing double images, presumably due to a boundary layer on the primary. The OEM fan (?) is marginal, and as I discovered it introduces significant vibration into the chassis and image. So maybe I can do something like this as my first upgrade. Paul, did you use any particular brand / type of fan to keep vibration to a minimum? Thanks so much for posting the great photo - you really did a great job with the laser cutter and cleaned up the back of the scope magnificently!

#52 wrvond

wrvond

Soyuz

• Loc: West Virginia

Posted 04 September 2021 - 06:16 AM

https://noctua.at/en/products/fan

• ad701xx likes this

#53 Markovich

Markovich

Apollo

• Loc: Grove City, Ohio

Posted 04 September 2021 - 07:48 PM

Another option is a large box fan behind the scope if you have access to AC power.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics