•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

M101 - The “finished” project.

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Professor2112

Professor2112

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Massachusetts

Posted 14 June 2021 - 10:59 PM

Hello all

Ive been working on this one for the last week over 3 clear nights.  It’s my first real effort with the new imaging rig consisting of a TS Photoline 130/910, asi2600mm combo using LHaRGB, carried by my trusty Cem70. I used the zwo m68 oag/asi120mm mini for guiding.  I’m new to mono imaging as well, and after this result I don’t think I could ever not have a mono camera as my main camera lol.gif   This is just under 7 hours of data total with the RGB being taken from my bortle 8 yard along side some L and Ha.  What really helped the image was the clear night I had at my parents while visiting their bortle 4 home where I added a bunch of L and Ha to the mix. It’s amazing how much light pollution can hold us back. Seriously, sometimes it’s not our skill or equipment, but our unfortunate bortle scale we have to image from that holds us back!  

Anyway.. this is the first image I’m truly proud of that actually meets my expectations.  That moment where if feels like all the hard work over the past year has finally paid off and I can breathe a sigh of relief that I didn’t waste thousands of dollars!  I really hope you enjoy this one even 10% as much as I have!  It was a lot of fun to shoot.  And as always comments and criticism is welcome, as I’m always trying to get better!  Just because I’m happy with it doesn’t mean I don’t want to get better! No cruise control here. 

Andrew

get.jpg?insecure

Attached Thumbnails

• 35492E28-AFF2-4CBB-B28C-781B29D1BBCB.png

• dswtan, Wigleydh, themis_greece and 18 others like this

#2 havasman

havasman

Voyager 1

• Loc: Dallas, Texas

Posted 14 June 2021 - 11:09 PM

That's a fine image. I particularly like how you capture the dynamic range of the faint galaxy by allowing regions to remain faint in your image while capturing the intensity of the core, bright H-II regions and the areas full of young blue stars. I'm not at all surprised you're happy with it. The companion galaxies are also well rendered. Congratulations!

• Professor2112 likes this

#3 chanrobi

chanrobi

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 June 2021 - 12:14 AM

Awesome dude, this forum just absolutely massacres image IQ, the astrobin version looks amazing.

And as an aside, I picked up this book recently https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/3319209728

And how it details from the very beginning with film astrophotography up to modern day tech. It REALLY gives you an appreciation of just how far tech has come, and how lucky we are as private citizens to (debatedly) easily afford equipment that takes photo like this.

Just 50 or 60 years ago would've been worlds first in terms of IQ

#4 Professor2112

Professor2112

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 June 2021 - 10:01 AM

That's a fine image. I particularly like how you capture the dynamic range of the faint galaxy by allowing regions to remain faint in your image while capturing the intensity of the core, bright H-II regions and the areas full of young blue stars. I'm not at all surprised you're happy with it. The companion galaxies are also well rendered. Congratulations!

Thanks very much!  The camera did do a great job with the dynamic range of this target, I made sure none of the subs were saturating too many pixels and let the camera do the rest.  I’m glad you like how the star forming regions came out, it’s been a dream of mine to shoot a few galaxies in LHaRGB.  Now that I know what this setup can do let the fun begin!  Next galaxy season will be fun indeed. 

Awesome dude, this forum just absolutely massacres image IQ, the astrobin version looks amazing.

And as an aside, I picked up this book recently https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/3319209728

And how it details from the very beginning with film astrophotography up to modern day tech. It REALLY gives you an appreciation of just how far tech has come, and how lucky we are as private citizens to (debatedly) easily afford equipment that takes photo like this.

Just 50 or 60 years ago would've been worlds first in terms of IQ

I’m always amazed by how we can now capture things like this from our back yards, I know I’m not rich, and at least half this image was taken in bortle 8 skies.  So it’s not like dark skies are a requirement, although very very handy!  Even 15 years ago this tech would have been mind blowing even more so than it is today, but MUCH more expensive. I’ll never forget about 10 years ago using my mother’s DSLR and 300mm telephoto on a tripod to focus on Vega and leaving the shutter open for 10 seconds.  It was the first time I realised how much better a camera sensor is at seeing the night sky than our eyes.  Now technology has evolved enough for me to be able to do work like this and I’m loving every second of it!  Thanks for the compliments!  I’m seriously considering getting that book as well, looks like a great read!

#5 elmiko

elmiko

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Arizona

Posted 15 June 2021 - 10:09 AM

Very nice image Andrew! Especially for your skies.

#6 Professor2112

Professor2112

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 June 2021 - 04:34 PM

Very nice image Andrew! Especially for your skies.

Thanks Mike!

#7 RogeZ

RogeZ

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Palm Beach Gardens, FL

Posted 15 June 2021 - 04:44 PM

Andrew: Great point of the LP as a limit; its incredible the damage LP makes to SNR.

I like the image and your star shapes are great. My only recommendation is on the color data; you are stretching color and saturation a lot and therefore you are "painting with noise". I would recommend you either add more RGB data or tone done the colors. This is visible at the core where it jumps at you.

BTW I recently completed this target from my B8. My first test image with the C11HD, going from miscollimated scope, to half collimated to truly collimated and at the end I stacked the whole set and color data as well. I had the same exact problem, not enough RGB data, low SNR. My image had a total 25 hrs. but mostly L.

#8 Professor2112

Professor2112

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 June 2021 - 06:43 PM

Andrew: Great point of the LP as a limit; its incredible the damage LP makes to SNR.

I like the image and your star shapes are great. My only recommendation is on the color data; you are stretching color and saturation a lot and therefore you are "painting with noise". I would recommend you either add more RGB data or tone done the colors. This is visible at the core where it jumps at you.

BTW I recently completed this target from my B8. My first test image with the C11HD, going from miscollimated scope, to half collimated to truly collimated and at the end I stacked the whole set and color data as well. I had the same exact problem, not enough RGB data, low SNR. My image had a total 25 hrs. but mostly L.

Actually a very helpful tidbit there.  I only have an hour +/- of each color, and those were shot in b8 only. Good to know adding more color data can help, I did notice a pretty big increase in noise when boosting saturation. Painting it with noise is a good way to put it! I bet if I had another night at my parents the image would really benefit from the added RGB data.

I did go a bit overboard with the color compared to my normal taste, being super excited to see the colors come to life exactly the way I wanted for this project on top of having a little bit to drink while the computer churned through the subs probably had a lot to do with it!

#9 chanrobi

chanrobi

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 15 June 2021 - 09:05 PM

Now technology has evolved enough for me to be able to do work like this and I’m loving every second of it!  Thanks for the compliments!  I’m seriously considering getting that book as well, looks like a great read!

You will not regret it, I think almost all astrophotographers would  appreciate this, I borrowed a copy from my local library !

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics