•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

What makes Questar so special?

• Please log in to reply
56 replies to this topic

#51 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 19 August 2021 - 05:11 PM

Okay, after thinking about it for a while, two things, engineering excellence and ease of use.

#52 vrotondi

vrotondi

Vendor -Pier-Tech Observatories

• ***--
  • Vendors

Posted 19 August 2021 - 06:07 PM

As a former owner of one, I can vouch for its quality and versatility, whether observing the night sky, watching bees pollinate flowers or entertaining friends.

Geez that is painful to look at...

#53 ABorealis

ABorealis

Lift Off

Posted 07 September 2021 - 07:19 AM

I'll risk an off-topic post as opposed to an off topic thread:
What is the best first telescope as an alternative to a $2000 Questar?   A friend is willing to spend hundreds but not thousands of dollars. Moon and planets are initial desires, but they are in very dark skies.  I'd be shopping used, but open to used choices.  C90?  Meade little Mak?

Had a C90 years ago with OK optics but, when it was cold it was no fun focusing it. My 3.5 no problem.

#54 markb

markb

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Arizona at last, goodbye NY. Light pollution still awful though

Posted 08 September 2021 - 12:44 AM

On the Questar alternative, a top APO 80-100mm refractor.

Wait, have to add an over rated mount (or an accurately rated one)...

The $2000 Questar is making way more sense.

But I'm sticking to big bores, personally, despite looking forward to the day I get to try out the beloved Questar mechanicals.

• JamesMStephens likes this

#55 DAG792

DAG792

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 02 October 2021 - 10:49 AM

Well many other comparisons were made and many great reasons given, but I will add one more thing; a Questar is special IMO because it is exclusive. It is built from the ground up as a unit. Most telescopes you see on the market today usually share a lot of parts with other ones, and while this is great for reducing manufacturing costs, the end consumer almost always suffers in the value he/she gets. Sure a Questar is expensive for its aperture, but everything just fits perfectly together and works perfectly together. You can tell that no compromises were made in its engineering or no expense was spared. You have that satisfaction of owning something made without compromises... and that feeling is worth it.

Other than amateur astronomy, my other hobby is cars. I currently drive a Civic type R. Its a great car, plenty of power, plenty of space, and really great handling and driver- involvement. It offers a great amount of 'bang-for-the-buck' if you are into driving cars. But it's not exclusive, it was built on a platform shared by the usual civic, which is just an econobox car. I know when I drive it that some compromises were made when Honda designed and built it. When I take it to the track and it overheats after 3 or 4 laps, I can see it wasn't built from the ground up as a unit, compromises were made, and I have to live with that.

Now compare that to a Porsche 911 GT3. You don't even need to drive it, just sit in it, and you will know that it is special. Everything it uses is exclusive, the engine, the suspension, the chassis, everything was built for a single purpose, to be a part of a GT3. And that's something you can feel when you drive it.

I think a similar thing can be said for other telescopes vs Questars.

Edited by DAG792, 02 October 2021 - 10:49 AM.

• JamesMStephens, vcnightscope2017 and Hunziker-1 like this

#56 Hunziker-1

Hunziker-1

Lift Off

• -----
  • Loc: Inland Northwest

Posted 02 October 2021 - 12:42 PM

Well many other comparisons were made and many great reasons given, but I will add one more thing; a Questar is special IMO because it is exclusive. It is built from the ground up as a unit. Most telescopes you see on the market today usually share a lot of parts with other ones, and while this is great for reducing manufacturing costs, the end consumer almost always suffers in the value he/she gets. Sure a Questar is expensive for its aperture, but everything just fits perfectly together and works perfectly together. You can tell that no compromises were made in its engineering or no expense was spared. You have that satisfaction of owning something made without compromises... and that feeling is worth it.

Other than amateur astronomy, my other hobby is cars. I currently drive a Civic type R. Its a great car, plenty of power, plenty of space, and really great handling and driver- involvement. It offers a great amount of 'bang-for-the-buck' if you are into driving cars. But it's not exclusive, it was built on a platform shared by the usual civic, which is just an econobox car. I know when I drive it that some compromises were made when Honda designed and built it. When I take it to the track and it overheats after 3 or 4 laps, I can see it wasn't built from the ground up as a unit, compromises were made, and I have to live with that.

Now compare that to a Porsche 911 GT3. You don't even need to drive it, just sit in it, and you will know that it is special. Everything it uses is exclusive, the engine, the suspension, the chassis, everything was built for a single purpose, to be a part of a GT3. And that's something you can feel when you drive it.

I think a similar thing can be said for other telescopes vs Questars.

Very well stated and a great point about exclusivity. Your example fits perfectly as well.

#57 vcnightscope2017

vcnightscope2017

Sputnik

• Loc: Northern San Diego County

Posted 02 October 2021 - 12:51 PM

Well said!

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics