•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

William Optics Fluorostar 91 Focuser Issue - Response from WO themselves.

Astrophotography Equipment Imaging Optics Refractor
  • Please log in to reply
11 replies to this topic

#1 awong101

awong101

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 June 2021 - 12:12 AM

Dear all,

First and foremost, I don't have a real connection with William Optics nor am I affiliated with them, and I am not a spokesperson for them. I do however, use their instruments for astrophotography and so I was surprised by the general feedback regarding their newly released Fluorostar 91. Therefore, I decided to reach out to them about the status of these Fluorostar 91.

I've reviewed several of my current and past William Optics refractors:

William Optics Spacecat 51 Review:

https://youtu.be/RhBM4AcN0Bs

William Optics Zenithstar 73 Review:

https://youtu.be/q99ze4316Sw

Let's go onto what you really want to hear...

As some of you may already know, William Optics recently released the Fluorostar 91 Apochromatic refractor. Several members have already posted positive results with this refractor. However, there are also a number of you reporting issues with the focuser. Many of which can be found here:

https://www.cloudyni...r-91-new-scope/

I've discussed with William Optics and they are fully aware of the issue. They are currently re-checking their manufacturing processes to ensure mishaps like this does not happen again. In the meanwhile, if your Fluorostar 91 has an issue with the focuser, William Optics will be happy to address your refractor.

If you have an issue with your Fluorostar 91, please contact them. I've been told by William that they are fully behind their customers, and will provide you with their full support. If you have an issue with your Fluorostar 91 and its focuser, they will replace it with a new focuser and parts for the customer.

They feel 100% responsible for the issue and are doubling their efforts to make sure all outgoing Fluorostar 91 are double checked before shipping them out to either the dealers, or directly to the customers. 

And that's it. I hope this will provide some relief to current Fluorostar 91 owners, and that future owners know the next production run of the Fluorostar 91 will arrive problem free.

Clear skies, and take care everyone!

• timmbottoni and desertlens like this

#2 Scratchedandented

Scratchedandented

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 June 2021 - 05:51 AM

Great news, thanks for sharing this!
I have one on order and was prepared to carefully go through the focuser first thing. Good to know WO is stepping up the QA.
When I first saw your post, I was worried you were gonna say they were dropping the 91, but this is great!
Thanks again
  • awong101 likes this

#3 awong101

awong101

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 June 2021 - 10:54 AM

Great news, thanks for sharing this!
I have one on order and was prepared to carefully go through the focuser first thing. Good to know WO is stepping up the QA.
When I first saw your post, I was worried you were gonna say they were dropping the 91, but this is great!
Thanks again

You're welcome! Yeah they even said that because of this experience, they're ramping up the QA across the board to make sure this doesn't happen again.

When's your FLT91 coming? :)

#4 Scratchedandented

Scratchedandented

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 June 2021 - 11:37 AM

I only ordered it a week or two ago. Didnt get an eta, but expect a long back-order. Pretty much everything I ordered is on back-order. Would be happy to have a full kit by late fall.

This will be my first scope since I was little.

I did some reading. FTL 91 seems to have good optics and interesting focal length.
Mount will be EQ6-R Pro.

Interested in visual first, but definitely AP.
  • awong101 likes this

#5 MikeCrapo

MikeCrapo

Vostok 1

Posted 15 June 2021 - 01:14 PM

If you live in the us, mile high astronomy has one in gold left in stock. I just got one from them and a very happy with it. No problems with the focuser.

https://milehighastr...s/fluorostar-91

#6 Scratchedandented

Scratchedandented

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 15 June 2021 - 01:17 PM

Didn't even know gold was an option, thanks for the tip!

#7 awong101

awong101

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 15 June 2021 - 09:14 PM

I only ordered it a week or two ago. Didnt get an eta, but expect a long back-order. Pretty much everything I ordered is on back-order. Would be happy to have a full kit by late fall.

This will be my first scope since I was little.

I did some reading. FTL 91 seems to have good optics and interesting focal length.
Mount will be EQ6-R Pro.

Interested in visual first, but definitely AP.

The optics in William Optics are generally very good. I look forward to seeing how you like your FLT91 when it arrives! :)

• Scratchedandented likes this

#8 Andynator

Andynator

Mariner 2

• Loc: West Central Ohio, USA

Posted 16 June 2021 - 01:16 PM

If you live in the us, mile high astronomy has one in gold left in stock. I just got one from them and a very happy with it. No problems with the focuser.
https://milehighastr...s/fluorostar-91

I grabbed that up. Sorry, @Scratchedanddented.

They called me within five minutes to confirm shipping 😁

#9 MikeCrapo

MikeCrapo

Vostok 1

Posted 16 June 2021 - 07:40 PM

I grabbed that up. Sorry, @Scratchedanddented.

They called me within five minutes to confirm shipping

Lol, I wondered how got it. Knew someone would ig it was on here.

Mine is great, hope you enjoy yours.

#10 Scratchedandented

Scratchedandented

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 06 July 2021 - 02:12 PM

@Andynator, glad to hear it, I didn't want to cancel my order and I have other gear on back-order anyway. I figure I'll use the time to read up on all the software and backyard basics.

Thanks!

Edited by Scratchedandented, 06 July 2021 - 02:13 PM.

#11 doole

doole

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Winnipeg (that other outback)

Posted 06 July 2021 - 02:50 PM

Smart marketing.

#12 MikeCrapo

MikeCrapo

Vostok 1

Posted 06 July 2021 - 04:30 PM

@Andynator, glad to hear it, I didn't want to cancel my order and I have other gear on back-order anyway. I figure I'll use the time to read up on all the software and backyard basics.

Thanks!

If you are tired waiting. Mile High Astro in Denver has it in space grey and red right now,

https://milehighastr...=38087135494311

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Equipment, Imaging, Optics, Refractor

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics