•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Using OpenWRT on Raspberry PI to connect to scope

Accessories Software
  • Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 glancey

glancey

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Santa Ana, CA, USA

Posted 15 June 2021 - 08:18 PM

Is anyone able to use an RPi 4 as a wireless router to connect to Losmandy Gemini 2?  OpenWRT has a new beta version that is supposed to run on the RPi, but I have been unable to get it to work as a wireless router let alone connect it to Gemini. I have tried to follow the documentation provided by the raspberry pi organization as well as numerous third-party sites on the subject, but none of the configurations described therein seem to work.

If anyone has succeeded with this, I would like to hear your solution.

#2 vio

vio

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Naples, FL

Posted 16 June 2021 - 06:56 AM

Not sure what your intended setup is. A wireless router has the WAN on the wired port and provides connectivity for other devices on the wireless network created. Gemini2 can connect to a wired network.
For my G11/Gemini2, I use a network device in Bridge mode, where the device connects to my home wireless network, delivering a connection for Gemini2 via the RJ45 port on Ethernet (wired). I have used a variety of devices like this with my Gemini2.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#3 glancey

glancey

Vostok 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Santa Ana, CA, USA

Posted 16 June 2021 - 11:57 AM

Not sure what your intended setup is. A wireless router has the WAN on the wired port and provides connectivity for other devices on the wireless network created. Gemini2 can connect to a wired network.
For my G11/Gemini2, I use a network device in Bridge mode, where the device connects to my home wireless network, delivering a connection for Gemini2 via the RJ45 port on Ethernet (wired). I have used a variety of devices like this with my Gemini2.

What network device are you using? I'm trying to set up an RPi as such a device. The RPi4 is supposed to make a very good router and/or bridge, but setting it up is proving to be problematic. My ultimate goal is to do what I think you are doing, connect Gemini2 via ethernet to the router and access it wirelessly from a NUC on my scope. Right now, I'm connecting directly to the NUC and I would like to remove the ethernet cable running to the scope.

#4 hcf

hcf

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 16 June 2021 - 02:58 PM

Maybe something like this?

https://www.amazon.c.../dp/B01N5RCZQH/

#5 vio

vio

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 June 2021 - 09:42 PM

What network device are you using? I'm trying to set up an RPi as such a device. The RPi4 is supposed to make a very good router and/or bridge, but setting it up is proving to be problematic. My ultimate goal is to do what I think you are doing, connect Gemini2 via ethernet to the router and access it wirelessly from a NUC on my scope. Right now, I'm connecting directly to the NUC and I would like to remove the ethernet cable running to the scope.

Currently using a GL.inet router that has WiFi, 2 LAN and 1 WAN ports. I connect the Gemini on one of the routers’ LAN ports. Since it has 2 ports, my computer uses the second one. Here is the link on Amazon: https://www.amazon.c...d/dp/B07GBXMBQF

#6 sbradley07

sbradley07

Viking 1

• Moderators
  • Loc: Connecticut

Posted 16 June 2021 - 11:53 PM

I have a Pi 3 running as a wifi access point (not with OpenWRT), but like most configurations of a Pi as a AP, router, bridge, etc. it is connected via the Pi's ethernet port to my main network.  In other words, it's a WAN port.  In other to do what you want with the Gemini, the ethernet port on the Pi needs to be configured as a LAN port...to accept a client connection from your mount.  I don't use OpenWRT, but looking at the documentation, I think the Routed Client configuration does what you want.  

#7 vio

vio

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 June 2021 - 07:50 AM

I have setup 4 different rPIs and PI-like boards for image capture, and I don’t particularly like that I’m limited to 1 LAN port. With a G11-Gemini mount, using a router/extender with 2 LAN ports is just easy, even for one that enjoys writing their own scripts to configure device settings for USB or special network setups. Eventually I setup the Gemini via USB (which a PI has plenty of ports for), this may be an easier route if you don’t want to spend time with network settings and low level scripts. I still use the PIs with Gemini, both plugged into the wired ports of the little router/extender. The USB based setup is still in place, I can also use that and I have INDI/EKOS profiles for all these variants. In the end, I have/had fun with all these as a software engineer, but simple always wins, and gadgets are fun for me too.

#8 AaronF

AaronF

Mariner 2

• Loc: Barcelona, Spain

Posted 18 June 2021 - 12:10 PM

I haven't used OpenWRT on a Raspberry Pi, but I've used my RPi v3 as a wireless access point for years using hostapd.

My use case was as a separate internal network for my home automation devices to use without giving them internet access.

It's very easy to set up ("sudo apt install hostapd", then edit some configuration files). Here are two official guides:

1. routed: https://www.raspberr...point-routed.md

2. bridged: https://www.raspberr...oint-bridged.md

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Software

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics