•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Having trouble connecting to Ekos from iPad

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Paul in Northern Michigan

Paul in Northern Michigan

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Northern Michigan

Posted 16 June 2021 - 05:26 AM

My computer is in the shop so last evening I considered 2 different ways to get up and running by connecting to my Raspberry Pi device.

1) Over VNC on the iPad.

2) I have the StellarMate OS so I might connect per the StellarMate App.

Since it was already somewhat set up I tried connecting 1st through the StellarMate app.  This initially seemed successful but it seemed sluggish.  I considered that I normally connect to Ekos using direct connect Ethernet, perhaps I got on to the StellarMate hotspot.  There was a icon within the StellarMate app that said Ethernet and I clicked on it.  This essentially killed everything with the communication within the app.  Eventually I just gave up.  I saw no way to regain connection.

The other way that I tried was in downloading the RealVNC application which is the application that I communicate to the Ethernet Direct connection with my MacBook Pro.  When I need to find the IP address from my MacBook Pro I type in ping StellarMate.local.  There is no equivalent to this on the iPad.  I tried the IP address that the StellarMate app initially pointed to but this didn’t work.  I do believe that this is a simple matter of resolving the Ethernet Direct Connect IP address, but I have no idea in how to find what this might be.

Would anyone have any suggestion in how to get my iPad linked successfully to the Ethernet Direct Connection?

#2 astrokeith

astrokeith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Posted 16 June 2021 - 07:23 AM

IP Network Scanner Lite is a free App for iOS.  It is limited to the first 10 devices found, but in a direct connection it should be all you need. I have the full version which I find very useful.

If StellarMate is like Astroberry, then you dont actually have to have VNC to connect over IP. Use Safari to browse to the IP address and the Pi treats it like a VNC connection. 

• Paul in Northern Michigan likes this

#3 Paul in Northern Michigan

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2021 - 10:03 AM

IP Network Scanner Lite is a free App for iOS. It is limited to the first 10 devices found, but in a direct connection it should be all you need. I have the full version which I find very useful.

If StellarMate is like Astroberry, then you dont actually have to have VNC to connect over IP. Use Safari to browse to the IP address and the Pi treats it like a VNC connection.

Thank you Keith, I will try this out tonight.

#4 Paul in Northern Michigan

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2021 - 06:52 PM

IP Network Scanner Lite is a free App for iOS.  It is limited to the first 10 devices found, but in a direct connection it should be all you need. I have the full version which I find very useful.

I was able to download the IP Network Scanner Lite.  The scan did pick up my StellarMate.Local IP address. The number seemed a little weird.  The last digits were 100.1 instead of something like 1.100.

I tried entering this number into safari but it didn’t work.  I tried this in RealVNC and it didn’t work.

When I tried opening the StellarMate app it still doesn’t work, but it displays a different set of last numbers 1.16.

I have also noticed that in some connection combinations that I get a page that says Arris and it has a bunch of numbers.

Perhaps something is blocked.

Perhaps I messed up when I was in the StellarMate App and I clicked to connect to Ethernet.

My next action will be to connect the Pi device to my TV and control it via keyboard.  Perhaps this might show what kind of network issue I have going on.

If anyone might have ideas in why this doesn’t seem to work I am all ears.

I will of course update this thread if in the meantime I figure this out.

NOTE:  For the time being at least I have figured out getting connected via Real VNC by using the IP Scanner Lite to make the connection.  Directly entering the IP address didn’t work as it does on my MacBook.  I was able to access this after TV plugging this in and changing network settings via mouse and keyboard.

Edited by Paul in Northern Michigan, 16 June 2021 - 08:16 PM.

#5 astrokeith

astrokeith

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Posted 17 June 2021 - 02:43 AM

I was able to download the IP Network Scanner Lite.  The scan did pick up my StellarMate.Local IP address. The number seemed a little weird.  The last digits were 100.1 instead of something like 1.100.

I tried entering this number into safari but it didn’t work.  I tried this in RealVNC and it didn’t work.

When I tried opening the StellarMate app it still doesn’t work, but it displays a different set of last numbers 1.16.

I have also noticed that in some connection combinations that I get a page that says Arris and it has a bunch of numbers.

Perhaps something is blocked.

Perhaps I messed up when I was in the StellarMate App and I clicked to connect to Ethernet.

My next action will be to connect the Pi device to my TV and control it via keyboard.  Perhaps this might show what kind of network issue I have going on.

If anyone might have ideas in why this doesn’t seem to work I am all ears.

I will of course update this thread if in the meantime I figure this out.

NOTE:  For the time being at least I have figured out getting connected via Real VNC by using the IP Scanner Lite to make the connection.  Directly entering the IP address didn’t work as it does on my MacBook.  I was able to access this after TV plugging this in and changing network settings via mouse and keyboard.

This is why I find the App useful!

I think you are getting confusing addresses because sometimes your iPad was on the Pi hotspot and sometimes on your home wifi.

The ~.100.1 IP would be the Pi hotspot where it has given itself the first IP address by default. Your iPad would have been ~.100.2 probably.

'Arris' is almost certainly your home wifi router.

When turned on, the Pi looks for a wifi network is knows and has had permission to connect to. It connects automatically to it. So if you've let it do it in the past, this is what it will try first each time.

If it cant do that, it sets up its own hotspot. You can tell which it has done by just using the wifi settings part of your iPad to tell you what wifi networks are available. Best to turn iPad wifi off and on to force a search and then see if the Pi hotspot is there.

If you can VNC into the Pi, then you can adjust the network connections from the pi desktop (top right hand corner)

If you have used an ethernet cable from your home network to the pi, then that should always have the same IP given to it. If your Pi has connected  to your home wifi, you may see two IP assigned, the wifi and the cable. If the Pi has created a hotspot it will still be able to connect to your home network via ethernet.

Remember, the free App can only see 10 devices. If you are on your home network that almost certainly wont be enough to show all, especially recently added ones (like the Pi!)

If you cant browse in via Safari or Edge, it maybe because the Pi wants a port number too. try http://10.250.250.1:8624 (typical IP address assuming you are on its hotspot)

Once it has been connected via LAN, your should be able to reconnect by browsing to 'stellarmate.local' or perhaps 'stellarmate.local:8624'

I have a few Pi's, often with more than one powered up. I now only use ethernet to connect the to my home network, that way they always bring up their own wifi hotspots. Thus I always can connect to their wifi hotspot if all else fails. You can have multiple VNC connections to the same Pi at the same time. Often I am controlling a rig from inside the house via ethernet/vnc, and then I go outside with an iPad and connect to the Pi to do quick adjustments.

Edited by astrokeith, 17 June 2021 - 05:07 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics