•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Apple time.

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Old Speckled Hen

Old Speckled Hen

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 56.4451° N, 3.1670° W

Posted 16 June 2021 - 07:02 AM

Are there any astronomy capture and camera control programs written or adapted for an i pad?

cheers

AB

#2 Tfer

Tfer

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Northern Alberta, Canada

Posted 16 June 2021 - 07:21 AM

As the head of an Apple household, the only thing I’ve found, is an app called ‘Screens’ that I use to control a Win10 computer at the scope.

Works with iPadOS, iOS and MacOS.

And it works extremely well.

But for scope control and imaging?

It’s a Windows world.
  • Old Speckled Hen likes this

#3 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 16 June 2021 - 07:47 AM

Moving from EAA to Astronomy Software & Computers for a potentially better fit.

#4 jcheak

jcheak

Sputnik

• Loc: Lawrenceburg, KY

Posted 16 June 2021 - 08:16 AM

Are there any astronomy capture and camera control programs written or adapted for an i pad?

cheers

AB

Yes, It's called the ASI Air Pro.

• 72Nova and bips3453 like this

#5 Old Speckled Hen

Old Speckled Hen

Viking 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: 56.4451° N, 3.1670° W

Posted 16 June 2021 - 08:40 AM

As the head of an Apple household, the only thing I’ve found, is an app called ‘Screens’ that I use to control a Win10 computer at the scope.

Works with iPadOS, iOS and MacOS.

And it works extremely well.

But for scope control and imaging?

It’s a Windows world.

Looks that way.

Thanks for the gen. 

#6 airscottdenning

airscottdenning

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 16 June 2021 - 12:15 PM

I do loads of astroimaging and I don't use Windows at all.

I use my MacBook in the house (or the field) to control a Rasp Pi at the scope, where I run KStars. It takes some getting used to, but it works extremely well! As TFer says, you need a remote control program. I prefer NoMachine, but there are literally dozens of free ones to choose from.

If you want to do planetary and lunar (video capture), you probably need a more powerful machine at the scope, but for long-exposure deep sky imaging, the Pi4 ($45) is perfectly capable.

• mikefulb likes this

#7 JMW

JMW

Aurora

• -----
  • Loc: Nevada

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:54 AM

The iPad makes a great control screen for the ASIAir app. You need to buy an ASIAir or ASIAir Pro device that is based on Raspberry Pi to connect to the hardware and run the actual software that manages everything.

#8 idclimber

idclimber

Apollo

• Loc: McCall Idaho

Posted 19 June 2021 - 01:11 AM

I have been imaging with my Mac since I started AP a year and a half ago. I do have TheSkyX because that is paired to work my Paramount mount and that is cross platform. This software is not cheap though and probably not worth it it you don't have one of their mounts. 

Most experienced imagers have a cheap computer at the mount and remote into it for imaging. I currently doing this on my Mac to my old MacBook as well as to either a Raspberry Pi or Windows computer. I do all my post processing on my Mac. 

I tried the Pi and decided I wanted something a bit faster so purchased a small windows NUC. This is a low power device with no fan and a SSD hard drive. I can remote into it just as easily as I remote into my old Mac. I am also moving to Voyager for my automation. That software is defiantly worth a look as it does have a pretty neat web interface that should have no problem running from an iPad. 

Where I image I have good wifi reception, so I just have it connect to my local network. I use a VNC connection that is established right from the main menu bar. My IP address is fixed so easy as a couple clicks and I am running. 

I am not a fan of the ASIAir. I love their camera but have other hardware they do not support. This device restricts you to ZWO hardware for the most part. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics