•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AZ-EQ6 Pro mount lights up, HC works but no movement in either axis

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Ionic

Ionic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2021 - 10:29 AM

I just received the above mount purchased new.  The red power light comes on and the hand controller works.  However when I press any of the direction keys the mount will not move in either axis. I am using a high-quality regulated power supply.  The hand controller goes through the 'process' of alignment but the mount never moves.  I have a light-weight, Red Cat 51 scope on the mount and it is properly balanced.  I cannot hear any noises from the mount.   Clutches are tightened fully.   Can anyone offer any advice on this?  

Thank you

Ionic

#2 Mike G.

Mike G.

Vanguard

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 16 June 2021 - 10:57 AM

sounds like the commands from the hand controller are not being received by the mount.  I would check the HC cable and the connections at the mount and bottom of the HC for bent/broken pins.  if you have a meter, you could check the cable to make sure the cable is good.  that's all I can offer.  otherwise, contact SW Service.  They were very responsive when I had problems with my brand new AZ-EQ5 Pro.

#3 Kevin Ross

Kevin Ross

Apollo

• Loc: Traverse City, MI, USA

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:38 AM

You could pop off the cover (there are only 4 screws holding it on) and just give a quick look and make sure the stepper motors are actually plugged into the controller board. You never know...

#4 Ionic

Ionic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 June 2021 - 11:55 AM

Thanks to all who have responded.  I very much appreciate your advice and assistance.   

I have examined the controller/motherboard and there are no signs of burning/shorting and all cable connectors appear to be firmly seated.   I have attached a photo of the board.   I have not removed or changed any of the connectors etc.   I assume that they are correctly configured from the factory.

I have contacted SkyWatcher support and they are going to send me a replacement motherboard.   Their support has been very rapid and very good. 

Please note that the HC does appear to work ok, i.e., I can use all functions except that the axes do not move or make any sound when  any of the movement keys are pressed.   I have tried using three different power sources and also tried a Celestron StarSense HC (specifically designed to work with this mount)  and I get the same results, i.e., HC appears to work except that there is no movement in either axis.

Thank you

Ionic 

Attached Thumbnails

• AZ-EQ6 Pro motherboard.jpg

#5 Kevin Ross

Kevin Ross

Apollo

Posted 17 June 2021 - 12:13 PM

I'm glad SW is sending you a new board, instead of making you send the mount back to them. It does suck though that your new mount is DOA.

When swapping boards, take special note of those 3 black wires, near the bottom left of your photo. They look the same, and the connectors are the same, so it's very easy to mix up which wire goes into which connector.

#6 Ionic

Ionic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 June 2021 - 12:39 PM

Thank you for the tip!   I wonder if the existing connectors / wires are correctly connected?   I had assumed that the mount would have been tested before leaving the factory, although I did not see any quality control sticker(s) etc.   I will try to get wiring diagram from SW.

Ionic

#7 Kevin Ross

Kevin Ross

Apollo

Posted 17 June 2021 - 01:32 PM

I'm pretty sure those won't affect the operation of the motors. Those are just position sensors, for things like PEC. The motors should still work even if those black connections are unplugged. At least that's how my EQ6-R Pro works, yours might be different.

#8 Ionic

Ionic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 June 2021 - 02:06 PM

I see.   Thanks for this information.   I will be very careful and will label each connector/wire set before removing from the old board.

Thank you

Ionic

#9 Mike G.

Mike G.

Vanguard

• Loc: Oberlin, Ohio

Posted 17 June 2021 - 02:55 PM

Sounds like great support from SW.  good to hear.

#10 Ionic

Ionic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 June 2021 - 08:25 AM

Yes, the new board is currently being programmed (firmware) and will be shipped to me on Monday.  I will update this topic / thread once I have installed it.   Finger's crossed!

Ionic

• Kevin Ross likes this

#11 Ionic

Ionic

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 30 June 2021 - 12:08 PM

Conclusion to DOA  AZ-EQ6 mount

A new board was provided by Skywatcher support,   I took photographs of the old board connections etc to ensure that I did not mix up any of the connectors - especially the two small motor connectors (small with black wires).   Some of the connectors were quite hard to remove but I was careful not to damage them.   The new board installation took about 10 - 15 minutes.  The mount now appears to be working OK.

Many thanks for the support and tips I received.

Best wishes

Ionic

• 25585 and Kevin Ross like this

#12 hypergolic

hypergolic

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Richmond Hill, Georgia

Posted 30 June 2021 - 12:52 PM

Great deal!

#13 Kevin Ross

Kevin Ross

Apollo

Posted 30 June 2021 - 02:47 PM

Outstanding! Thanks for the follow-up.

#14 25585

Voyager 1

• Loc: In a valley, in the SW UK. Dark end of the street.

Posted 01 July 2021 - 07:26 AM

If I go for an Az Eq 6, I will ask the store to test it out first, before sending it.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics