•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Howto...Skywatch 250PDS Newton (254/1200)

Astrophotography Beginner
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 BigBobD

BigBobD

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2021 - 11:12 AM

So....I have a question as a beginner with using telescopes for Astrophotography.  To date I have a Williams Redcat 250 and am upgrading to a Skywatcher 250PDS.  What I need help with is my camera attaching.  I have two Nikon DSLR's and a ZWO1600MM Pro with filter wheel and need to understand what I need to make all this work.

From what I have read, a good Coma Corrector and T-rings, but do I need a different eyepiece other than the standard one that comes with it?  Or should I purchase something specific?  

Bear with me, I really am rather new to this entire telescope thing, although I do learn pretty fast, unfortunately I don't want to "pay" for mistakes...🤣

Thanks gang,

~Bob D. 

#2 southerndandy

southerndandy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Uxbridge, MA

Posted 16 June 2021 - 12:43 PM

Not super familiar with either of these scopes, but I believe the Redcat does not need a flattener/reducer.  The newt probably will need a coma corrector.  That being said, there's a few things you can do. 

For the Redcat, if you want to use a DSLR you will need a T-ring for your make of camera, and I believe the back of the Redcat is threaded so you can just attach the T-ring/camera right to it, kind of like a big lens.  Not 100% sure what all of the threading is so you'd want to check that and make sure you get the appropriate T-ring.  It's likely m42 or m48.  It's a similar situation for the ZWO, they usually come with a series of adapters/spacers and would probably just screw onto the back of the Redcat.

The Skywatcher is similar if you're using a coma corrector, it's probably threaded so the T-ring or ZWO adapter will screw right to it.  If you're not using a coma corrector,  you'll need a nosepiece that screws into the T-ring (or a T-ring with one built in) for the DSLR, and the ZWO cameras come with an adapter that has a nosepiece which you'll just insert into the focuser. 

An example- I use an ED80 with it's specific flattener/reducer.  The back of the flattener/reducer is m48 threaded.  When I used a Canon DSLR with it, I had an m48 threaded T-ring that attached to the camera and screwed right to the back of the flattener/reducer.  Now I have an ASI294 and I use the m42/m48 adapter and the spacers that came with the 294 to attach it to the back of the reducer/flattener.  (On the ED80, the reducer/flattener itself screws right to the end of the draw tube). 

Hope that gives you some insight.  It's possible that the manuals for the scopes give more info on how to do it for that specific scope.

#3 BigBobD

BigBobD

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2021 - 03:45 PM

Thanks for the quick answer .

I've been using the redcat for some time now, I was more concerned with the Skywatcher 250P (DS) since I haven't a clue on what a Barlow magnification is for or if that it even necessary for Astrophotography.  I cannot seem to find a write up with just what is really needed for "picture taking".  From what I can tell I just need a coma corrector, 2 Inch and the T rings.  Is that a correct assumption?

Thanks again 

#4 bips3453

bips3453

Mariner 2

• Loc: MN

Posted 16 June 2021 - 03:54 PM

What are the target objects for the pictures? 

Also, Skywatcher 250PDS isn't a lightweight scope. What mount are you using? 

Edited by bips3453, 16 June 2021 - 03:58 PM.

#5 BigBobD

BigBobD

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2021 - 03:59 PM

I was wanting to get better shots of the Whirlpool Galaxy M51, Sunflower Galaxy M63 and Bodes M81, between my 500mm Nikon and my Redcat with the same at crop using my ZWO1600 they are pretty small.  For the Veil Nebula I am okay what the framing but things like the horsehead are just out of reach

#6 bips3453

bips3453

Mariner 2

• Loc: MN

Posted 16 June 2021 - 04:15 PM

You can use this tool to get an idea of your framing. https://astronomy.to.../field_of_view/

The targets given above would fit on the sensor without a barlow. 

As for the coma corrector, it is good to have for bigger sensors you are planning to use.

I cannot provide any recommendations about the coma corrector as I haven't used one with a Newtonian. 

Also, double check whether your mount can carry and track with that scope, that isn't a light one. 

#7 BigBobD

BigBobD

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2021 - 04:20 PM

Thank you!

I have a EQ6-R Pro, should be okay...    I've been using Telescopious for framing, which works pretty well, even lets me add my cameras and focal lengths of my current equipment.

After looking at a lot of reviews I purchased the 2 inch Baader 2" Mark III MPCC, its been on the market for a while and isn't too pricey.  I guess at this point I will just try to see what happens on my first night out.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Astrophotography, Beginner

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics