•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

CG5 Edge HD dovetail questions

Accessories Beginner Celestron Equipment SCT
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 Tartarrsauce

Tartarrsauce

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wakayama, Japan

Posted 16 June 2021 - 11:29 AM

Hello, 

I'm in the market for an Edge HD 8" scope, but since I live in Japan, all of the vendors carry the CG-5 variant of the Edge HD 8 (Vixen imports them). I don't have an issue with ordering the CGE (Losmandy-ish) dovetail, but my real question is could I just move the Vixen style bar to the top of the OTA for accessories like a guide scope, etc.? I'm worried about the mounting holes not lining up like I've seen in some posts. I would just order ADM parts (last resort), but the shipping to Japan costs almost as much as the dovetail and there aren't any local vendors that carry ADM. 

Hopefully this isn't too much of a noob question and if it's been answered before, please excuse me. 

Edited by Tartarrsauce, 16 June 2021 - 11:29 AM.

#2 Tommy Dowling

Tommy Dowling

Lift Off

• Loc: San Gabriel Mtns. So Cal

Posted 16 June 2021 - 12:12 PM

It should be fine. I have an EdgeHD 11" and just added an ADM vixen rail to the top of my scope for a Guidescope and my ASI air. The mounting holes and reinforcing plates are the same on the top and bottom, at least on my 11". Likely the whole series of EdgeHD OTA's are designed to accept dovetails on top and bottom. Hope this helps, wishing you clear skies.

• Tartarrsauce likes this

#3 Tartarrsauce

Tartarrsauce

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Wakayama, Japan

Posted 17 June 2021 - 02:16 AM

Likely the whole series of EdgeHD OTA's are designed to accept dovetails on top and bottom.

Per Agena Astro's website regarding the CG5 Vixen Dovetail: Fits pre-drilled holes in the front and rear cells of current 8” Schmidt-Cassegrain and 8” EdgeHD Optical tubes (bottom only; not compatible with the top of the optical tube)

So I guess that answers my question. I'll have to just order a rail with risers from Losmandy or ADM. If that's the case I'll probably just go ahead and order a bottom Losmandy and a top Vixen from ADM. 

Edited by Tartarrsauce, 17 June 2021 - 02:16 AM.

#4 wizzlebippi

wizzlebippi

Sputnik

Posted 17 June 2021 - 10:10 AM

Per Agena Astro's website regarding the CG5 Vixen Dovetail: Fits pre-drilled holes in the front and rear cells of current 8” Schmidt-Cassegrain and 8” EdgeHD Optical tubes (bottom only; not compatible with the top of the optical tube)

So I guess that answers my question. I'll have to just order a rail with risers from Losmandy or ADM. If that's the case I'll probably just go ahead and order a bottom Losmandy and a top Vixen from ADM.

I don't think that's true anymore. My edgehd came with a cge rail, and the rear cell does not have the narrow screw pattern for a cg5 rail. Since I wanted a vixen rail on it to attach a refractor, I ordered one from ADM since they use adapters to make it fit the wide screw pattern.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Accessories, Beginner, Celestron, Equipment, SCT

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics