•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Three images from last night. 65mm Astrotech...Canon60Da

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• topic starter
  • Loc: Madoc, Ontario

Posted 16 June 2021 - 11:56 AM

I'm not much of an image processor so bear with my images which are single exposures with Auto Dark Subtract.  I did a little contrast and curves tweaking in iPhoto.....

Rather than post 500kb or smaller images here I'll give links to full-sized pics hosted on my club website.

All taken with Canon 60Da, ISO 1600, Auto Dark Subtract, AstroTech 65mm Quad APO refractor.

1.  B86 Dark Nebula in Sagittarius... 4 minutes, field was only 18º above my horizon....

2.  M4 and friends in Scorpio, 4 minutes, slight crop for framing (80%)

3.  NGC 4565, 5 minutes in moonlight.... crop to 25% of original frame...two small galaxies annotated..

Thanks for looking!

Dave

• Ed Wiley, DaveD, Jim Davenport and 9 others like this

#2 EPinNC

EPinNC

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Raleigh, NC, USA

Posted 16 June 2021 - 12:25 PM

Wow!  These are really nice, especially for single images.

I feel like your focus is a bit soft in the first two images.  Do you have a Bahtinov mask?  Obviously your tracking is very good, and I'm sure a good sharp focus would really help.

The Needle Galaxy is an amazing shot!

Very well done!  Thank you for sharing!

#3 Astrojedi

Astrojedi

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: SoCal

Posted 16 June 2021 - 12:35 PM

Very nice... Many times I just enjoy slewing to different objects of the sky and taking single exposures. Quite fun to see what shows up.

#4 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2021 - 12:36 PM

The 4565 was focused well on with a Bahtinov Spica check just before...It was about 45º up at the time of shooting.. and only about 20º from the moon....

Focus for the B86 was definitely off.   And it was low in the sky as well... 

The next image I did was the M4 and I did a Bahtinov check on Antares right before.  The softness for this one was probably due to the fact that M4 was quite low above my horizon....  44º45' north, me... Antares only gets 15º above my horizon at best.

My EQ6 and PHD2 are a winning combo... Tracking was all within the 1º radius circle.... At only 420mm focal length this is essentially perfect guiding...

Thanks for the reply.

Dave

#5 Jimmy462

Jimmy462

Ranger 4

• Loc: Putnam County, NY

Posted 16 June 2021 - 01:22 PM

I'm not much of an image processor so bear with my images which are single exposures with Auto Dark Subtract.  I did a little contrast and curves tweaking in iPhoto.....

>snip<

Thanks for looking!

Dave

Hi Dave,

Very impressive results for one-and-done DSO imaging...that would be my, um, speed for imaging, so your results are very encouraging! Thanks for sharing those!

:)

Jimmy G

#6 Desertanimal

Desertanimal

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 16 June 2021 - 10:14 PM

Nice images!

How dark is your site?

#7 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• topic starter

Posted 16 June 2021 - 10:22 PM

Nice images!

How dark is your site?

At best, Bortle 2/3, depends on the direction.  The moon was a factor for the 4565 shot.  After moonset my SQM read 20.95.

The very best SQM I have seen here is 21.3... There's a city of 55 000 people 18 miles due south of me...

Dave

#8 the Elf

the Elf

Soyuz

• Loc: Germany

Posted 17 June 2021 - 02:36 AM

Nice images!

How do you measure your sky quality?

I have the choice between these two. Which one would you recommend, if any?

https://www.teleskop...chthimmels.html

https://www.teleskop...achthimmel.html

#9 Cotts

Cotts

Just Wondering

• topic starter

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:14 AM

Nice images!

How do you measure your sky quality?

I have the choice between these two. Which one would you recommend, if any?

https://www.teleskop...chthimmels.html

https://www.teleskop...achthimmel.html

I use the SQM with no lens.  It 'sees' a cone of 80º, 40º on either side of vertical.  I just hold it up over my head and point it at the zenith... take three readings and average them.   There are numerous threads about the SQM here on CN.

The SQM measures neither transparency nor  seeing so readings must be done with that in mind..  In my experience you can only ever hope for two of these on any one night... 

Fun fact:  Unihedron is a Canadian company from Grimsby, ON and I bought mine from the inventor after he presented the device at a club meeting..so I haven "early" model..

Dave

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics