•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Broken eyepiece on my B&L Spotting scope...what to do?

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Millerhill

Millerhill

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 16 June 2021 - 12:26 PM

I have a broken lens element on my B&L Balscope 22X WA eyepiece. If there was any chance of finding the exact lens element and replace it, that would be great, otherwise any idea of where I can get a replacement eyepiece? I can only find one on eBay right now and it's $60. I think I'd be better off just getting a "new" used Balscope rather than put out the bucks for just the eyepiece.

Also, is it possible to find parts diagrams for things like this? I'm concerned about getting the lenses back in the right position in the eyepiece when I put it back together.

Steve

Attached Thumbnails

• IMG_1637.JPG

#2 Lazaroff

Lazaroff

Viking 1

Posted 16 June 2021 - 01:06 PM

That's an excellent eyepiece, and arguably worth the $60 if in good condition. An almost identical eyepiece was made for the Bausch and Lomb Spacemaster 60mm spotting scopes, though I can't say for certain that it has exactly the same threads. I have one of those and could measure the diameter of the threaded part, if you like.

Edited by Lazaroff, 16 June 2021 - 01:59 PM.

#3 MisterDan

MisterDan

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 16 June 2021 - 01:29 PM

I believe Bushnell "Spacemaster" (and/or Spacemaster II) eyepieces share both manufacture and threading.  Not sure about magnifications (i.e. Balscope vs. Spacemaster focal lengths), so a Balscope 22x WA may be identical to a Spacemaster 20x WA (other than label, of course).

If I run across more details/info, I'll follow up.

All is most-definitely NOT lost.

Best wishes, and hang in there.

Dan

#4 Jon Isaacs

Jon Isaacs

ISS

• Loc: San Diego and Boulevard, CA

Posted 17 June 2021 - 02:34 AM

Steve:

Hello and :welcome: to Cloudy Nights.. 

That's a good photo, no doubt the eyepiece has problems.  

Do you have any idea of the diameter and pitch of the threads, the diameter would be a good start.  

Jon

#5 Second Time Around

Second Time Around

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Rural Kent, UK

Posted 17 June 2021 - 03:54 AM

I believe that B&L and Opticron use the same size of eyepiece. IIRC it's a 1 inch screw thread but I can't remember the pitch.

I'm in the UK but managed to get various eyepieces to fit my old Opticron off eBay.

#6 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 17 June 2021 - 08:32 AM

you would need to take the lens out and make measurements of the lens .  Hopefully, someone here will chime in and tell you how to make those measurements.

#7 Millerhill

Millerhill

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 25 June 2021 - 01:51 PM

Good news folks! I removed the broken lens, measured it and got a replacement from Edmund Scientific in NJ. I figured out how to rebuild the eyepiece with the new lens, cleaned everything inside the tube...prisms and primary lens, put it back together and it's now working as it should. BTW the eyepiece is 28mm with a .80 thread pitch. I'm glad the replacement lens worked out as it appears that it's quite difficult to find a complete replacement eyepiece for this old scope. Almost full strawberry moon tonight, so I'll be seeing it close up and personal. Seeing as this is the neighbors scope ( No, I didn't tell her that I broke it) I decided to get a Celestron spotting scope and return this one happily back in it's original working condition. What a relief. 

Steve

• MisterDan, Lazaroff and Second Time Around like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics