•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Leveling Screws for DYI dob buggy

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Shane1200

Shane1200

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North Florida

Posted 16 June 2021 - 10:25 PM

I just finished building my dob buggy except for the leveling screws. Does anyone know of where I can purchase them or any suggestions on how to make them?

Thanks. I can post a picture if anyone wants to see it.

#2 Couder

Couder

Apollo

• Loc: Mansfield, Missouri in the Ozarks

Posted 16 June 2021 - 10:31 PM

We used chair leveling feet - they come with the piece to put into the wood, TeflonĀ® pads, and long adjusting screws.

#3 lphilpot

lphilpot

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 17 June 2021 - 08:32 AM

Good place to start looking: https://www.mcmaster.../leveling-feet/

#4 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 17 June 2021 - 05:49 PM

1/2" Carriage bolts and a pair of nuts.

In use, I lift the trolley to the upper nut, then finger tighten the lower nut upward.  I don't generally need to use a wrench on the nuts, especially if the length of the bolt is short.  Using a block of wood (usually a bit longer than pictured here) under the bolt helps greatly in this regard.

Attached Thumbnails

• Telescope_leveler.jpg

#5 Shane1200

Shane1200

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: North Florida

Posted 17 June 2021 - 10:18 PM

I think I will try your carriage bolt suggestion.   I was thinking of using a 1/4 threaded rod and placing a board under it, but the  problem is the rods come only in 3 feet lengths at the local hardware store, which would require a lot of hacksaw work. 

#6 lphilpot

lphilpot

Vanguard

• Loc: Central Lousiana, USA

Posted 17 June 2021 - 10:49 PM

I recommend using something heavier than 1/4x20 bolts. The suggestion for 1/2" is good. Quarter inch bolts will flex, imparting shake to the scope. Also, use a countersink or Forstner bit smaller than the carriage bolt head to create a shallow hole in the wooden block into which the bolt head will nest. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics