•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

About Lunt DS modules

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 Mariner@sg

Mariner@sg

Viking 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Little Red Dot

Posted 17 June 2021 - 01:18 AM

I have a 60mm Lunt Ha tilt tuned scope and am considering getting a DS module for it. I noticed Lunt has both 50mm and 60mm DS modules for the scope. Will the difference in image between the 2 be drastic given that it is a loss of 10mm aperture in the smaller one?

#2 PETER DREW

PETER DREW

Surveyor 1

Posted 17 June 2021 - 05:07 AM

The biggest difference will be the move to DS regardless whether it is 50mm or 60mm.

#3 BYoesle

BYoesle

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Washington USA

Posted 17 June 2021 - 08:53 AM

Get the 60 mm. At this aperture, 10 mm is a significant difference. With double stacking image brightness is decreased, and you need every available increase in light gathering area to mitigate this.

• MalVeauX and briansalomon1 like this

#4 astro rocketeer

astro rocketeer

Viking 1

• Loc: Valencia, CA (Los Angeles)

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:08 AM

I was told that the DS 50FHa has reflection issues when used with the tilt tuner by Lunt when I called in to order mine. Later, I did some research and also exchanged messages with solar experts with scope experience, a few tilt tuner owners that has the double stack and they too recommended the 60FHa for the better contrast and avoid any reflection issues if that might happen. I initially ordered it but then cancelled and ended up getting the 60FHa. It’s def a huge diff in cost (double), but I haven’t regretted it. (Anything in this hobby is pricey, especially solar equipment). The double stack on the tilt makes a huge difference in view. Getting the full contrast really maximizes your experience in view and photograph of the sun. When I did observation of the sun this morning and yesterday, the prom lift just stood out so clear and with my binoviewers, it was like looking at it in 3D! As one who just went through the same thought process as you, talked to others and did a lot of research, I’d recommend the 60FHa to get the fullest potential and enjoyment out of your 60THa scope. The thought of the cost is painful that will only hurt one time, but the experience it brings will last a lifetime.

Michael

Attached Thumbnails

• 07F5646F-4923-41FF-8E94-F0DB9434EC79.jpeg

Edited by astro rocketeer, 17 June 2021 - 11:36 AM.

• rigel123, Stellarfire, MalVeauX and 1 other like this

#5 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:20 AM

Another vote for the 60mm.  That is my exact set up as Michaels although I think his is a bit newer as all of the black portions are still black and mine are all bronze colored now!!

#6 Mariner@sg

Mariner@sg

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 June 2021 - 12:44 AM

Thanks for all the input. Does the 60 DS module ever go on sale?

#7 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

Posted 18 June 2021 - 05:56 AM

Haven’t seen that but you might check with Faye at Lunt to see if any refurbished units are available.

#8 Mariner@sg

Mariner@sg

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 June 2021 - 07:06 AM

Haven’t seen that but you might check with Faye at Lunt to see if any refurbished units are available.

Thanks Warren. smile.gif

#9 hopskipson

hopskipson

Soyuz

• Loc: Queens, New Yawk, Light pollution Headquarters!

Posted 18 June 2021 - 08:00 PM

Sometimes they sell their gift cards with 10% off.  I've seen this at NEAF, although I haven't seen this lately.

#10 Mariner@sg

Mariner@sg

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 12:31 AM

Oh. One more question. Is there a reason why Lunt DS systems are more expensive than Coronado's?

#11 Gray

Gray

Apollo

• Loc: Middle TN

Posted 23 June 2021 - 08:41 AM

Oh. One more question. Is there a reason why Lunt DS systems are more expensive than Coronado's?

As a Coronado owner, and someone who is currently evaluating a 90mm DS system, I would venture and say the Lunt quality is better. 

#12 Mariner@sg

Mariner@sg

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 09:06 AM

As a Coronado owner, and someone who is currently evaluating a 90mm DS system, I would venture and say the Lunt quality is better. 

That makes sense. Thanks for the input people! :)

#13 vincentv

vincentv

Ranger 4

• Loc: Costa Rica

Posted 23 June 2021 - 11:35 AM

The Lunt module is built like a tank. It doesn't have a central obstruction and is generally believed to have better optical qualities. The exception being the older coronados without richview tuning.

You can fit a coronado external etalon to a lunt telescope with a custom adapter. The combination is known as luntanado. It's very cost effective. I paid slightly less for a used SMII 60 + adapter than I would have for a brand new lunt 50mm.

I don't doubt that a lunt 60 would be somewhat better. But lunt 50 vs coronado 60 is a tougher call.

Edited by vincentv, 23 June 2021 - 11:36 AM.

• RoC1909 and astro rocketeer like this

#14 Mariner@sg

Mariner@sg

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 09 October 2021 - 07:34 AM

I just had the opportunity to use an LS50FHa DS module on my 60THa, boy was it dim! The DS module has a tilt tuning knob as well, so how do I go about tuning for both the scope and the DS module?

When is SS mode, I also noticed a slight improvement in surface details when I used a B1200 blocking filter as compared to the B600 I was using.

Having to get an LS60FHa DS module AND a B1200 blocking filter is gonna blow some serious money.....

#15 briansalomon1

briansalomon1

Viking 1

• Loc: Oxnard CA

Posted 09 October 2021 - 11:56 AM

Get the 60 mm. At this aperture, 10 mm is a significant difference. With double stacking image brightness is decreased, and you need every available increase in light gathering area to mitigate this.

I use the Lunt 60mm front etalon with my NP101 and it's plenty bright single stacked with 25mm eyepieces and still OK with 11mm but double stacked I think the 11mm eyepieces would be too dim.

#16 briansalomon1

briansalomon1

Viking 1

• Loc: Oxnard CA

Posted 09 October 2021 - 12:06 PM

I briefly owned a 90mm Coronado Solarmax II. One of the etalons would not come on-band and the focuser housing was made of fairly thin plastic and was designed to secure with 3 nylon screws. This created unavoidable flex. The Lunt design is solid and their etalons are far better than Coronado is currently manufacturing.

#17 Mariner@sg

Mariner@sg

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 16 October 2021 - 10:18 PM

My previous query went unanswered so far so I'm posting it again.

For the DS module, it seems to incorporate a tilt tune etalon. Is there a need to tilt tune the module and the etalon of the main scope at the same time to obtain the "sweet spot" for the overall image?

#18 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

Posted 17 October 2021 - 05:41 AM

My previous query went unanswered so far so I'm posting it again.

For the DS module, it seems to incorporate a tilt tune etalon. Is there a need to tilt tune the module and the etalon of the main scope at the same time to obtain the "sweet spot" for the overall image?

You actually want to tune your scope with the DS module off the scope to get the best contrast you can in the single stack mode.  Once you have this set, then add the DS unit and you should see the main image as well as a “ghost” image in the same field of view and it may overlap the main image a bit.  You want to then use the tilt tuner to move the ghost image just off of that main image as you don’t want to tilt that etalon too much.  Here is the manual on the DS unit that you can find on the Lunt website under resources.   https://luntsolarsys...ack_manual1.pdf

• philmor56 and Mariner@sg like this

#19 Tapio

Tapio

Fly Me to the Moon

• -----
  • Loc: Tampere, Finland

Posted 17 October 2021 - 06:16 AM

A side question - does the 50/60 DS module difference apply to pressure tuned Lunts as well?

Edited by Tapio, 17 October 2021 - 06:17 AM.

#20 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

Posted 17 October 2021 - 08:22 AM

A side question - does the 50/60 DS module difference apply to pressure tuned Lunts as well?

Not exactly sure what you are asking, but if it is about tuning, yes, you would tune your pressure tuned Lunt in single stack mode first, and then add the DS unit, the only difference being the aperture, and tune the same as for the 60mm DS.

#21 philmor56

philmor56

Messenger

• -----
  • Loc: Bolton, ON

Posted 17 October 2021 - 01:03 PM

I have the Lunt 60/50 combination being discussed here  (pressure tuned primary scope) and I am quite happy with the set up.

(The Lunt package is shown on the left with the white LS50 mounted on the front of the Pressure tuned 60mm.)

rig01.jpg

Yes, the views are dimmer, that will happen with any double stack, but I used this visually for many years before I started to image.

Allowing your eyes to adjust properly (and your brain has to be trained to seeing Ha as well!) and perhaps a towel or eye cups will also help.

The main thing is that you are double stacked and the contrast improvement with the .4A bandpass is remarkable.

As far as tuning, follow the advise already given here. Tune your main scope first. I like to let it sit for a few minutes and then go back and refine the tuning again so that I get a nice balance between surface features and limb prominences.

Then add the LS50 and tune it so that the ghost image you see is just out of the field of view and let your eyes adapt again.

Take another break and go back and refine again.

You will find that you will probably leave the tilt tune in one position from that point on, with only minor adjustments in the future.

As far as imaging goes I find little or no hindrance with this set up. As a matter of fact, with the 50mm D/S and the 500mm f/l of the 60mm you are probably imaging at the magic F10 !

Just a couple of recent images with this set up.

0910full2.jpg

0910-surf.jpg

This is a good low cost way to double stack.

All in all I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Hope this helps.

Cheers

Edited by philmor56, 17 October 2021 - 02:54 PM.

#22 Mariner@sg

Mariner@sg

Viking 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 October 2021 - 08:10 AM

You actually want to tune your scope with the DS module off the scope to get the best contrast you can in the single stack mode.  Once you have this set, then add the DS unit and you should see the main image as well as a “ghost” image in the same field of view and it may overlap the main image a bit.  You want to then use the tilt tuner to move the ghost image just off of that main image as you don’t want to tilt that etalon too much.  Here is the manual on the DS unit that you can find on the Lunt website under resources.   https://luntsolarsys...ack_manual1.pdf

Thank you for the explanation Warren! waytogo.gif

• rigel123 likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics