•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Removing Polaris Tube Rings?

Equipment Classic Mount
  • Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 lxeth

lxeth

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 June 2021 - 01:49 AM

Sorry, if this question has been asked and answered somewhere before, but...

I purchased a classic Vixen 60mm f15 on a Polaris mount. It it attached to the mount with one-piece rings that screw into the bas on the mount. I love the mount and the scope, but I thought about trying the scope on my Porta mount. However, I can't figure out an easy way to take off the tube rings. The only thing I can think of is to remove the focuser and then slide them off the back of the scope. I'd rather not so that if I don't have to...

Does anyone know of an easier / more elegant way to remove the rings?

Thanks in advance!

#2 tturtle

tturtle

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 17 June 2021 - 02:28 AM

I think the only way is to remove the focuser or remove the front element. I have a classic vixen and I have unscrewed the front element a few times to remove the rings so that is also an option but these front elements are surprisingly heavy so be careful not to let it fall!

• Jon Isaacs and lxeth like this

#3 Littlegreenman

Littlegreenman

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Southern California

Posted 17 June 2021 - 03:32 AM

If removing the the from element be very careful to

1. Note the direction of the lens cell so you know what is the front pointing side and what is the side the threads onto (or into) the tube. Some lens cells are threaded on both sides---

2. be very careful threading the lens cell back on the tube so you not cross thread the threads. It is a matter of centering the lens cell on the tube and proceeding slowly. When you have it right the threading of the lens cell should guide itself. If you find you need to force it, stop. Reverse direction and try again.

My intention is not to scare you off, but to learn from my mistakes!

• lxeth likes this

#4 tturtle

tturtle

Explorer 1

• -----
  • Loc: Florida

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:11 AM

If removing the the from element be very careful to

1. Note the direction of the lens cell so you know what is the front pointing side and what is the side the threads onto (or into) the tube. Some lens cells are threaded on both sides---

2. be very careful threading the lens cell back on the tube so you not cross thread the threads. It is a matter of centering the lens cell on the tube and proceeding slowly. When you have it right the threading of the lens cell should guide itself. If you find you need to force it, stop. Reverse direction and try again.

My intention is not to scare you off, but to learn from my mistakes!

Yes good advice and something I should have noted. My dew shield has a scratch on the bottom so it’s easy to confirm that I have screwed it back on correctly.

• lxeth likes this

#5 lxeth

lxeth

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 June 2021 - 09:14 AM

Thank you both for the guidance!

The dew shield on the vixen I have seems to be on pretty solid, so I think it might be easier to remove the focuser in this case. Any thoughts?

#6 SteveG

SteveG

Voyager 1

• Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 17 June 2021 - 02:32 PM

Thank you both for the guidance!

The dew shield on the vixen I have seems to be on pretty solid, so I think it might be easier to remove the focuser in this case. Any thoughts?

If the focuser is held in place by 3 equally spaced screws, then yes, remove it to slide the tube out.

I would be shopping for hinged tube rings for your scope.

Another option would be to mount a dovetail clamp on your old Polaris mount. It would then match the Porta and they could be easily swapped out.

Like this:

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_eq3d.htm

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_ds13.htm

• lxeth likes this

#7 lxeth

lxeth

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 17 June 2021 - 06:49 PM

If the focuser is held in place by 3 equally spaced screws, then yes, remove it to slide the tube out.

I would be shopping for hinged tube rings for your scope.

Another option would be to mount a dovetail clamp on your old Polaris mount. It would then match the Porta and they could be easily swapped out.

Like this:

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_eq3d.htm

http://www.scopestuff.com/ss_ds13.htm

Yes, there are three equally spaced screws, so it should be easy enough to slide out.

I like that idea! But, interesting thing about the older model of the Polaris mount I have - there are no screw holes in base. Just an indentation on the underside where the rings clamp on.

The next generation seems to have the holes drilled through the base, but not the one I have. Not sure if I want to go through the trouble of drilling the holes in the base of this one...

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Equipment, Classic, Mount

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics