•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Ghostly Horse in Scorpius

• Please log in to reply
21 replies to this topic

#1 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

• topic starter
  • Loc: Upper Peninsula of Michigan

Posted 18 June 2021 - 10:08 AM

Here's a 2-panel mosaic that I just finished of the oft-imaged region in Scorpius and the Rho Ophiuchi complex. I started this in 2020 by shooting RGB with my modded Canon 600D, Rokinon 135mm f/2 lens, and Skyguider Pro. This was before I was guiding and dithering, and between the low altitude and walking noise, the data was absolute garbage. It was so bad that I put it out of my mind and almost forgot I had the data.

Fast forward 1 year, and it occurred to me that maybe I could salvage it by shooting luminance data through my mono Canon 60D and blurring the living snot out of the RGB data. I spent three nights shooting the Blue Horsehead with the 60D, same lens, and iExos-100 mount dithered every three subs. With as low in the sky as it was, I managed barely over three hours. It definitely shows the noise, but I think it was a vast improvement over the RGB garbage. The second panel with Rho Oph was halfway decent, so I split the RGB data into channels, re-integrated it with using the "max" for each pixel location, and substituted this as luminance data for the second panel.

I made a mosaic for the luminance data in Astro Pixel Processor, and then did the same with the RGB data. Split the RGB mosaic into channels, and then recombined as LRGB in APP. Then through Starnet++ and some final tweaks in GIMP.

Anyway, this is a total of 856 60-second light frames between the two cameras, ISO 800, Bortle-3 skies. Barely 20 degrees over the horizon, spanning several sessions from May/June 2020 and June 2021. Each session had a matching set of 30 each darks, flats, and flarks. 

As always, C&C welcome and appreciated!

Full resolution on Astrobin:

get.jpg?insecure

Annotation 2021-06-18 110717.jpg

• Diego, lukasik, DaveD and 30 others like this

#2 P_Myers

P_Myers

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 18 June 2021 - 10:47 AM

Worthy of a metal print   hang that puppy and be proud of the effort .... as only you will know the amount of effort it took to produce this photo.

Edited by P_Myers, 18 June 2021 - 10:56 AM.

• Dynan likes this

#3 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 June 2021 - 11:30 AM

Worthy of a metal print   hang that puppy and be proud of the effort .... as only you will know the amount of effort it took to produce this photo.

Thank you! 

#4 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 18 June 2021 - 11:39 AM

Nicely done on a target that seems to be in vogue right now! Great shot!

• DubbelDerp likes this

#5 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 June 2021 - 12:15 PM

Nicely done on a target that seems to be in vogue right now! Great shot!

Thanks! Yeah, it seems to be the flavor of the day. That and the North America Nebula. But in my defense, I started this over a year ago, so they're all just catching up with me. grin.gif

• Dynan likes this

#6 Dynan

Dynan

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: NOLA

Posted 18 June 2021 - 12:29 PM

I've been drooling over this target since I got into AP. Just now went to widefield since a mosaic @ 0.79° FOV would have driven me mad. Rho Oph only appears for about 4hrs a night, right at Summer sunset. Gotta be ready.

So many coincidences!...I had a mosaic of NGC7000, (NA Nebula) lined up, but circumstances didn't let me run it.

Don't want to hijack your thread, so I'll link you to my post of Rho Oph I put up a few minutes ago:

https://www.cloudyni...oph/?p=11174958

• DubbelDerp likes this

#7 galacticinsomnia

galacticinsomnia

Apollo

• Loc: Pacific Northwest - Oregon

Posted 18 June 2021 - 12:42 PM

Is it the time of year or what.  Gotta say that is flippin magnificient !  Gold stars all around.. 

Surprisingly low amount of noise considering the amount of processing.  Really nice work !!

Clear Skies !!

• Dynan likes this

#8 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 June 2021 - 12:52 PM

Is it the time of year or what.  Gotta say that is flippin magnificient !  Gold stars all around.. 

Surprisingly low amount of noise considering the amount of processing.  Really nice work !!

Clear Skies !!

Thanks! Yeah, the luminance channel really is a gamechanger. The detail is just so clean and sharp compared to the debayered RGB. The RGB was just awful, though. The only noise reduction, if you can call it that, was to apply a gaussian blur to a version in a new layer and then set that to "lighten only" blending mode. Then a luminance mask to just apply it to the darker areas of the image.

• galacticinsomnia likes this

#9 17.5Dob

17.5Dob

Fly Me to the Moon

• ****-
  • Loc: Colorado,USA

Posted 18 June 2021 - 03:39 PM

Very nice !

#10 Aquat0ne

Aquat0ne

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 18 June 2021 - 04:57 PM

Brilliant. Really nice work.

#11 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Aurora

• Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 18 June 2021 - 05:38 PM

Spectacular capture of the dust, mate! That mono mod is definitely paying dividends.

BQ

#12 Tim J Fowler

Tim J Fowler

Mariner 2

• Loc: Seneca, South Carolina

Posted 18 June 2021 - 05:50 PM

Fast forward 1 year, and it occurred to me that maybe I could salvage it by shooting luminance data through my mono Canon 60D and blurring the living snot out of the RGB data. I spent three nights shooting the Blue Horsehead with the 60D, same lens, and iExos-100 mount dithered every three subs. With as low in the sky as it was, I managed barely over three hours. It definitely shows the noise, but I think it was a vast improvement over the RGB garbage. The second panel with Rho Oph was halfway decent, so I split the RGB data into channels, re-integrated it with using the "max" for each pixel location, and substituted this as luminance data for the second panel.

Living snot. I know that is a defined amount, but I've always wanted to know how much it is, kind of like cattywampus!

Lovely image, btw!

#13 Desertanimal

Desertanimal

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 18 June 2021 - 06:46 PM

Very cool picture! Keeper for sure!
Love all that dust with just a splash of color.

#14 boxcorner

boxcorner

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: France 45.29,2.22 (Bortle 3)

Posted 19 June 2021 - 10:02 AM

Eerily beautiful.

#15 limeyx

limeyx

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, WA

Posted 19 June 2021 - 01:47 PM

Very nice, as always !

#16 hobbyknipser

hobbyknipser

Ranger 4

• -----
  • Loc: Germany Orange Zone

Posted 20 June 2021 - 02:51 PM

Great result for the partly not so good RAW data! waytogo.gifgoodjob.gif

You did the best of this.

cheers

Andreas

#17 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 20 June 2021 - 05:33 PM

Nice job man! that is some great data you picked up. I just recently shot this at 50mm with my sony but have not had time to process. 

#18 vidrazor

vidrazor

Apollo

• Loc: North Bergen, NJ

Posted 20 June 2021 - 11:14 PM

Awesome work dude!

#19 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 June 2021 - 07:51 AM

Hey, thanks for all the comments and likes, folks! I was away from my workstation for the weekend, so couldn't respond until this morning...

Very nice !

Thank you, Dave!

Brilliant. Really nice work.

Thanks!

Spectacular capture of the dust, mate! That mono mod is definitely paying dividends.

BQ

Thanks BQ! I'm really enjoying the mono camera.. the data is just so much cleaner and sharper than with my other DSLR. Now I just need to find a way to shoot with both cameras at the same time...

Living snot. I know that is a defined amount, but I've always wanted to know how much it is, kind of like cattywampus!

Lovely image, btw!

funnypost.gif

Very cool picture! Keeper for sure!
Love all that dust with just a splash of color.

Thanks! The mono camera does a great job of picking up the dust, but I lost a lot of color in the blue horsehead. The blue channel was just awful with streaking and walking noise and I had to blur it so much that I really lost a lot of the color definition. I might try to reprocess it, but it might be better just to reshoot the color.

#20 DubbelDerp

DubbelDerp

Surveyor 1

• topic starter

Posted 21 June 2021 - 07:53 AM

Eerily beautiful.

Thank you!

Very nice, as always !

Thank you, sir!

Great result for the partly not so good RAW data! waytogo.gifgoodjob.gif

You did the best of this.

cheers

Andreas

Thanks Andreas!

Nice job man! that is some great data you picked up. I just recently shot this at 50mm with my sony but have not had time to process. 

Thanks Wes! Looking forward to seeing your image at 50mm. I shot this area last year with my Sigma 50mm lens, but I flubbed focus and when I tried to make a mosaic with my higher resolution 135mm lens, I had to abandon it as the stars in the 50mm shots were just so large and blobby. Focusing is tough at f/1.4...

Awesome work dude!

Thank you!

• limeyx likes this

#21 calypsob

calypsob

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Virginia

Posted 21 June 2021 - 08:57 AM

Ouch, yea I used a yongnuo 50mm stopped to f3.5 so I dont have great expectations but it was nice to finally find a dark southern horizon. That sigma can probably produce an awesome corrected field at f1.4. This high rez 135mm mosaic though is on point!

#22 Emanuel

Emanuel

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Maia, Portugal

Posted 21 June 2021 - 02:09 PM

Awesome piece of work! Congratulations laugh.gif

Emanuel

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics