•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

PoleMaster with Linux?

Polar Alignment
  • Please log in to reply
29 replies to this topic

#26 boxcorner

boxcorner

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: France 45.29,2.22 (Bortle 3)

Posted 25 June 2021 - 11:58 AM

QHYCCD have now replied to my support request, very professionally and helpfully, which is encouraging. I'm told their app works with Ubuntu 20. Meanwhile, I have discovered the software recognises the camera when the USB keyboard of my NUC computer is disconnected! So, the problem seems to be is Bus-related. I know interrupt conflicts cause problems, so I expect it can be resolved. I still have no idea why their app doesn't recognise the camera when it is connected to the notebook computer, though. Plan-A was to use it for polar alignment. It looks like their forum will be back up soon, when their web server has been updated.

You might take a look at the USB bus structure with 'lsusb -t' and see how the devices are related.  Sounds to me like a bug between USB 3.0 and 2.0 devices on the same hub.  Maybe try a different model of keyboard, and different position for the devices in the various ports.

Thanks. In fact it turns out that the driver was missing.  Whilst I had installed .deb file, what I didn't realize is that I should have also downloaded the SDK from QHYCCD's website, as it includes the driver! I expected the driver to be included in the .deb file. When I saw SDK on their downloads page, I thought it was intended for developers (ie Software Development Kit). The SDK includes a file called install.sh which has to be executed, to install the driver. If anyone needs information on how to do this then let me know and I will gladly do what I can to help them. So, I now have the PoleMaster working with Linux Kubuntu 20.04 on my NUC and Kubuntu 20.04 on my Toshiba notebook. The SDK file is called sdk_linux64_21.03.13.tgz so it looks like it was last updated on 13th March. I have found support from QHYCCD to be excellent and would like to thank them for their time, patience and help. Now I just need clear skies to test it with starlight.

• wxcloud likes this

#27 TelescopeGreg

TelescopeGreg

Gemini

• -----
  • Loc: Auburn, California, USA

Posted 25 June 2021 - 08:44 PM

Thanks. In fact it turns out that the driver was missing.  Whilst I had installed .deb file, what I didn't realize is that I should have also downloaded the SDK from QHYCCD's website, as it includes the driver! I expected the driver to be included in the .deb file. When I saw SDK on their downloads page, I thought it was intended for developers (ie Software Development Kit). The SDK includes a file called install.sh which has to be executed, to install the driver. If anyone needs information on how to do this then let me know and I will gladly do what I can to help them. So, I now have the PoleMaster working with Linux Kubuntu 20.04 on my NUC and Kubuntu 20.04 on my Toshiba notebook. The SDK file is called sdk_linux64_21.03.13.tgz so it looks like it was last updated on 13th March. I have found support from QHYCCD to be excellent and would like to thank them for their time, patience and help. Now I just need clear skies to test it with starlight.

Yay!

But, what was with the keyboard?

• boxcorner likes this

#28 wxcloud

wxcloud

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Denver, Co

Posted 25 June 2021 - 10:18 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing the step by step. Actually been thinking of blowing out (swapping hard drives) the mint 20 install and going with Ubuntu (or kubuntu but it's probably a little too much for my little netbook) 20.04 again. While checking out the live iso I did see kstars is available on snap craft. Thinking this route on the imaging laptop because Ubuntu is the more mainstream and popular distro figure it'll have a bit more support.

#29 boxcorner

boxcorner

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2021 - 02:35 PM

Yay!

But, what was with the keyboard?

My keyboard (for my NUC computer) and the PoleMaster camera are both USB devices. The camera worked without its driver, so long as the keyboard wasn't connected. So there was a conflict as both were trying to access the Bus in the same way. In this case Bus 002 Device 012: ID 1618: 0941. Installing the driver resolved the conflict. From a terminal, if you type lsusb you should see a list of all the connected USB devices.

Edited by boxcorner, 26 June 2021 - 02:43 PM.

#30 boxcorner

boxcorner

Mariner 2

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 26 June 2021 - 03:10 PM

I wouldn't mind seeing the step by step. Actually been thinking of blowing out (swapping hard drives) the mint 20 install and going with Ubuntu (or kubuntu but it's probably a little too much for my little netbook) 20.04 again. While checking out the live iso I did see kstars is available on snap craft. Thinking this route on the imaging laptop because Ubuntu is the more mainstream and popular distro figure it'll have a bit more support.

I used Ubuntu for years, before eventually switching to Kubuntu. The former uses Gnome (GUI desktop environment), whereas latter uses KDE. It seems to work better with some of the other apps I use.

To install the software for PoleMaster

Download both the PoleMaster LINUX Deb and SDK FOR LINUX files from the download page on QHYCCD's website:

https://www.qhyccd.com/download/

Install the .deb package in the usual way. I think I just double-clicked on it. That should invoke the Package Installer. Make sure it says the Status is : All dependencies are satisfied.

That should install the PoleMaster_Qt app, and create an icon for it in the Application Launcher.

In my case, I found PoleMaster_Qt using the Applications Launcher, under Applications > Science & Math > PoleMaster_Qt

Next the decompress the SDK's .tgz file, which contains the driver required for the app to detect the camera when connected via the USB cable.

When you have unpacked the .tgz file, go to the directory containing the SDK files, execute the file called install.sh to install the driver.

If you are comfortable using terminal (I use Guake), this can be done using sudo ./install.sh

You could use sudo bash install.sh

Alternatively, in Kubuntu use Dolphin to locate the install.sh file. Right-click on it, then click on Properties. I think it's similar in Ubuntu.

Select Execute - Allow executing file as program. Then from terminal, use

sudo ./install.sh

or

first chmod 777 *.sh

then sudo ./install.sh

After installing the driver, I rebooted the computer, connected the camera, started the PoleMaster_Qt app, clicked on Device, then clicked on Connect.

I opened the lens cap slightly and could see the camera was working.

Edited by boxcorner, 27 June 2021 - 05:55 AM.

• wxcloud likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Polar Alignment

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics