•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Orion xxg16 balance

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 T Wellington

T Wellington

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 June 2021 - 12:41 PM

A friend has a new Orion XXg16 goto telescope, trying to help him get started. There are nine counterweights provided, and the recommended install is all nine.  This makes the telescope bottom heavy.  It will not stay at a set altitude with the altitude clutch loose.  Is this normal for this scope? 

I don't personally own a dob, but the first thing I do will my telescopes on assembly for the night is a good balance.

Maybe we'll add a heavier finder.

#2 brentknight

brentknight

Gemini

• Loc: Foley, Alabama

Posted 18 June 2021 - 02:09 PM

I don't have the 16", but do have the 14" and I use every weight on mine, and then some.  The amount of weight might have been minimized in the design of the telescope, but then the height of the eyepiece would be much higher.

What do you have on the focuser end?  Are the covers off?  If the cover is off the UTA but still on the LTA and no eyepieces in the focuser, it will likely be bottom heavy.  I use a Paracorr II and all 2" eyepieces and the balance is much better with an additional 2 lbs weight on the mirror cell.  Unless the 16" is significantly different than my 14", you should need all those weights...

#3 junomike

junomike

ISS

• Moderators
  • Loc: Ontario

Posted 18 June 2021 - 10:30 PM

Strange, I needed all 9 to prevent the telescope from dropping.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics