•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Dark site anxiety

• Please log in to reply
128 replies to this topic

#126 Tony Flanders

Tony Flanders

Hubble

• Loc: Cambridge, MA, USA

Posted 16 August 2021 - 04:09 PM

I always feel sorry for the east-of-the-Mississippi city folks at this time of year when the newspapers and TV stations are promoting the Persids.  Where are they allowed to go to see them?

I've never found that to be a problem. There are always local parks, which may or may not technically be legal after dark, but are invariably used by a large population of dog-watchers and night lovers (in both senses). It's generally easier in the cities than the suburbs, which tend to have less of a sense of shared public space. Though there are plenty of exceptions to that rule.

#127 vsteblina

vsteblina

Vanguard

• Loc: Wenatchee, Washington

Posted 23 August 2021 - 02:36 PM

.................... Fortunately for csrlice12 (in Colorado) and me in Washington, there are no grizzlies about......................

There have been Grizzlies in Washington state for well over 40 years now. 

When I worked for the Colville National Forest in the early 1980's we closed 70 square miles of the National Forest so the bears could enjoy their solitude without being interrupted by motorized vehicles.

In recent years, grizzly's have been confirmed in Okanogan County as well.

It does bring up the issue of being aware of what is found in around your observing site.

A couple of days ago, I saw a small pretty, cream colored snake in my driveway.  Walked past it, and then decided to take a closer look.  Yep, had that triangular head, the marking on the back were faint, but had that vaguely familar pattern, and at the tail end some cartilage that had yet to form in rattles.

Never have seen a  rattlesnake with that very light coloration before, and probably won't again since I removed it from the gene pool.

Edited by vsteblina, 23 August 2021 - 02:36 PM.

#128 jcj380

jcj380

Vanguard

• Loc: Hellinois

Posted 23 August 2021 - 05:54 PM

At least amateur astronomers often have access to a club spot or have scoped out hidden and reasonably safe dark sky spots in advance.

Yes and yes.  wink.gif  But the weather didn't cooperate.  tongue2.gif 

#129 dbrb

dbrb

Explorer 1

• -----

Posted 27 August 2021 - 12:30 PM

We couldn't stand to live near a city. So we are "Lookin Out My Back Door" as the song goes.

That said, we normally have a dry summer, sometimes not raining for a month. This summer has been wet, increasing our humidity and I think importantly increasing the pollen count. Outside shining a narrow beam of a flashlight skyward, it seems to dissipate in a 100'. Was worse 2 weeks ago

Perhaps later this year will be better.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics