•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

60 ft 3.0 USB Cable For Cameras

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 brownrb1

brownrb1

Mariner 2

• topic starter

Posted 18 June 2021 - 02:59 PM

Hi,

I'm setting up a ROR observatory where my cameras are about 60 ft away from my computer. In the past I used a TripLite USB 3.0 Super Speed Active Repeater cable that worked great-any suggestions for a 60-70 ft run.

Thanks

Dick

#2 Tonimus

Tonimus

Sputnik

• -----
  • Loc: Mesa, AZ

Posted 18 June 2021 - 03:35 PM

Check this out. It clearly explains cable length limits and how to get around it. https://www.yourcabl...em_ep_42-1.html

#3 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators
  • Loc: Carlsbad Ca

Posted 18 June 2021 - 04:09 PM

I would recommend looking instead at putting a cheap computer at the mount. Then you can use wifi instead. I think that if there's a problem at the mount, having the computer 60 feet away at the end of a long cable is going to make trouble shooting very awkward to do. No one has ever tripped over a wifi link and no rodent has ever eaten one. 

Rgrds-Ross

• idclimber and cucubits like this

#4 bips3453

bips3453

Mariner 2

• Loc: MN

Posted 18 June 2021 - 04:35 PM

... No one has ever tripped over a wifi link and no rodent has ever eaten one...

Beware of the bats though, they might corrupt the signal and cause it to drop... wink.gif

Edited by bips3453, 18 June 2021 - 04:35 PM.

#5 Cey42

Cey42

Vostok 1

• Loc: Kirkland, WA

Posted 18 June 2021 - 05:56 PM

If you are willing to drop down to USB 2.0, I have been using this "USB Extender, 4-Port USB 2.0 Ethernet Extender Hub Over Cat5/ Cat5e/ Cat6 Cable." I have a 50' CAT 6 cable that I use to control my scope and for my ZWO294 camera. No problems at all. It claims it can handle 200'.

#6 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Louisville, Kentucky

Posted 18 June 2021 - 08:39 PM

BrownRb1, I've been researching this very question. I tried daisy-chaining and powering two of those 65-foot active Tripp Lite cables like their literature suggests is possible and they wouldn't even reliably run USB 2.0 for 130 feet, let alone USB3. So I asked Tripp Lite customer service and - credit to them - they insisted on sending me two brand new 65-foot cables, asking me to try them just to be sure. But either way, these work for sure at 65 feet, as you know. I'll let you know as soon as I test these but I'm not optimistic that we can take these to 130.

I finally found an Icon Raven 3104 LEX/REX combination 

https://www.icronsho...WxoCIPUQAvD_BwE

for just $400 on eBay, used. It works GREAT up to 100 meters with up to 4 USB devices (USB 1,3, or 3 -- it detects them real-time on any of the four provided ports - so it acts like a USB hub). My ethernet cable is current cat7, 200 feet and it's operating at full USB 3.0 throughput without a hitch for both primary and guide cameras.

• psandelle likes this

#7 vio

vio

Mariner 2

• -----
  • Loc: Naples, FL

Posted 19 June 2021 - 10:02 AM

I looked into using long active cables (USB2) a while ago and had enough disconnects or just garbled data to continue. Granted, I never paid more than $40-$60 for any of the cables I tried, and never considered hundreds of dollars for a USB solution. With USB3, published recommendations on cable length was enough for me to park the idea for good.

Unrelated to the actual question, I stopped looking at a USB solution because I (re)defined my problem (yours may be different) to be “Connectivity” with USB being just one one possible solution. I also had sufficient experience with wired and wireless networks, as well as setting up and connecting multiple computers of all kinds over a variety of networks.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

#8 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 19 June 2021 - 10:07 AM

I don't understand spending 400 dollars on an Icron when you can just put in a computer at the mount and get better throughput as well as greater flexibility. I see this all the time and there must be some allure to running cables. My solution - a laptop at the mount allows you to trouble shoot problems easily. If you need to touch up your polar alignment, collimation, guide camera focus, you just look at the screen. What do you guys do? 

Rgrds-Ross

• Paul Romero, t-ara-fan and Bobo666 like this

#9 lkannard

lkannard

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 June 2021 - 02:45 PM

Here you go.

SIIG USB 3.0 Active Repeater Cable 20-Meters (JU-CB0811-S1) Black https://smile.amazon...ding=UTF8&psc=1

#10 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 June 2021 - 06:05 PM

I can guarantee that these Tripp Lite units work. 

https://smile.amazon...duct/B01N59XNO7

but only at 20 meters (not 40 meters). They handle everything you can throw at them -- USB 3 or USB 2.

I have two that I'm not using. If you're interested in one, just email me please.

Thanks.

Doug

#11 EmeraldHills

EmeraldHills

Apollo

• -----

Posted 19 June 2021 - 06:22 PM

Hi RGSalinger. For me, it's not allure. It's just a preference. I'd rather all my software, images, and more - would all be kept on my primary laptop. I don't want to have to maintain programs on a stick computer. But don't mind me. I just started in December and have just 22 observing sessions under my belt.

I don't understand spending 400 dollars on an Icron when you can just put in a computer at the mount and get better throughput as well as greater flexibility. I see this all the time and there must be some allure to running cables. My solution - a laptop at the mount allows you to trouble shoot problems easily. If you need to touch up your polar alignment, collimation, guide camera focus, you just look at the screen. What do you guys do? 

Rgrds-Ross

#12 rgsalinger

rgsalinger

Cosmos

• Moderators

Posted 20 June 2021 - 10:30 AM

Thanks for the reply.  As long as it's "user preference" then it makes perfect sense!

I've been using two computers since I started imaging more or less by accident.

I tried long cables a couple of times (because people wanted to use them) and results have been not very good over time.

I don't use "stick" computers. I have 3 headless tiny refurbished desktops that are used at my mounts unless I am in the field on battery power. Then I use my laptop. They cost about 200 dollars each. Over the last 5 years they've been perfect for my use cases. 

Rgrds-Ross

• EmeraldHills likes this

#13 freestar8n

freestar8n

Vendor - MetaGuide

• Vendors
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 22 June 2021 - 03:27 AM

I recently posted a thread on an "inside-out" approach to long usb3 cables.  Instead of having the computer local and using long usb3 cables to the equipment, put the computer close to the telescope and have a long hdmi cable to your monitor.  Also have a long and simple usb2 cable to support a keyboard/mouse dongle.

I think high speed hdmi category 2 cables can go 15-20 meters.  And the good thing is that if the display conks out briefly you may not lose data.  But any glitch in usb3 likely means no more data.

You can always put a totally different computer by the scope and connect into it somehow - but there are many advantages to having just one computer to maintain - and have full usb3 connection to equipment and full and responsive 4k monitor views of what's going on.

Frank

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics