•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Recommendations and feedback about portable options

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 WConde

WConde

Vostok 1

• topic starter

Posted 18 June 2021 - 04:44 PM

I am evaluating lightweight (60-70mm) telescopes to use with a tracker mount. The purpose is to be able to take the equipment by plane without major problems. It gives me the impression that most of the tubes with these characteristics are manufactured by 1-2 manufacturers and the differences are in the quality controls umposed by the companies that sell them under their brands. I think that is the reason why the reviews that I have read about Altair, SharpStar, AstroTech, William Optics, among others are inconsistent ... But…I am not sure if quality control is the only issue at play, or if they are also a result problems created by non-skilled users.

After much reading and evaluating I am between one of these options:  (1) I go totally crazy and buy the Taka FS 60 (doublet) with its reducer flattener and other accessories and present my case to the bankruptcy court. (2) A Samyang 135mm lens and get the Deep Sky Dad adapters for use with an electronic focuser (3) The WO Zenithstar 61 with its flattener (4) The Altair Astro 70 (triplet) with its flattener / reducer. 

If you have any of these, I would appreciate if you can share some of the images you have taken as well as your impressions about the quality of it.

#2 barbie

barbie

Surveyor 1

• Loc: Northeast Ohio

Posted 18 June 2021 - 04:49 PM

Astro-Tech makes very fine 60mm & 70mm class apos for very reasonable prices.

#3 bobzeq25

bobzeq25

ISS

Posted 18 June 2021 - 06:31 PM

The problem is not the quality of the scope.  It's whether you'll get the quality you paid for on a tracker.  They're designed for camera lenses.  If you bought the Tak, would you get Tak quality on a tracker?  I don't think so.

The mount is the most important part of a DSO AP setup.

Focal length magnifies tracking error.  So my recommendation is a Redcat 51, 250mm fl.  People take lovely images with those.  Basically an astro specific telephoto lens.  <smile>  Examples (35 pages of them, these are popular scopes, for good reason).

https://www.astrobin...ch/?q=Redcat 51

Some of those are on more serious mounts, does not change the point.

Edited by bobzeq25, 18 June 2021 - 06:36 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics