•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AM Scope eyepiece question

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Profguy

Profguy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 18 June 2021 - 05:26 PM

Hello all, I’ve been reading the CN telescope and binocular forum posts for a while now, but this is my first post to Cloudy Days and Microscopes. I recently picked up the above mentioned AM Scope microscope from SGW. It is intended as a resource for my grandchildren when they outgrow their children’s microscope kit that they have now. The AM Scope looks to be in good condition, but it is missing the eyepiece. This particular microscope has three objectives that rotate to provide different magnifications. One is labeled 4/0.10, another is labeled 10/0.25, and the third is labeled S40/0.65. All three are also labeled 160/0.17. From my less than precise measurement, it appears that the missing eyepiece has a diameter of slightly less than one inch. I have two questions:

1. Is the missing eyepiece .965” in diameter, like some telescope eyepieces?

2. Given the specs of the three objectives, what would you recommend I look for in purchasing 1 or 2 replacement eyepieces?

Thanks in advance for all info and suggestions. They are greatly appreciated!

Gary

#2 Avgvstvs

Avgvstvs

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Australia

Posted 18 June 2021 - 07:01 PM

I just checked out their site and there seems to be plenty of microscopes to chose from.

The EP's are probably 0.965" format, do you have the model # of the scope?

Maybe try Ebay for the EP's. Not sure what those numbers mean?

Probably the focal length might be the first number, so 25mm might be a good

guide in the 4, 10,......,40mm. I think these telescopes are only going to be really useful for the Moon and bright planets with lots of coloured haloes. But it seems you have an amazing collection of binoculars. How about giving them one of these, low powered with a planisphere and introduction to the night sky? Thats a great way to introduce kids to the night sky

Edited by Avgvstvs, 18 June 2021 - 07:02 PM.

#3 MisterDan

MisterDan

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 18 June 2021 - 07:24 PM

Guessing this is the unit...

https://www.amscope....ol-science.html

That's the AMScope M150 series.

If so, stock eyepieces utilize 23mm barrels (a little smaller than 0.965, which is 24.5mm).

The following link shows AMScope's current 23mm eyepiece lineup.  The M150 package included the WF10x (top left) and 25x units.

https://www.amscope....piece/23mm.html

After confirming your eyepiece format, I would recommend a WF10x, to start.  With the stock objectives, you'll have 40x, 100x, and 400x.  Spend some time with those "native" magnifications.  Get comfortable and familiar with its capabilities and limitations.  If you find yourself wanting a view in the 150-200x range, then perhaps a 15x or 20x eyepiece (in combo with the 10x objective) might be suitable.  I think 25x is less useful with the M150.  1000x (with the 40x objective) is simply not going to work well.  250x (10x objective) may be pushing it, too.  Eye relief will be short (perhaps 5mm).

Assuming the barrel format is, indeed, 23mm, you are not limited to AMScope eyepieces, of course.  Plenty of 23mm microscope eyepieces from the likes of Nikon, Leitz/Leica, Olympus, & Zeiss are available (second-hand).  -And new is certainly not necessarily "better" than old.  Most current offerings from the "big four" utilize 30mm barrels, but old-school premium 23mm-barrel eyepieces are not difficult to find.  Other fine brands of yore include Bausch & Lomb, Reichert, Wild-Heerbrugg, Mitutoyo, Meiji, and Tiyoda.

It's possible that the particular microscope you purchased is not an M150, and it may utilize 20mm-barrel eyepieces.  If so, that's not necessarily a problem, as 20mm-barrel eyepieces are widely available and fairly inexpensive.  They won't be high-end premium eyepieces, but that's fine - it's a student microscope.

A video camera might be another useful accessory, and they can be had for as little as ~$45 (VGA resolution).  Decent 1.3MP units run about $60.  We used an old Orion Starshoot with our Omax microscope (20mm eyepieces, so the Starshoot barrel simply fit over the eyepiece port), and the 1.3MP CMOS sensor did fine.

Here's a link to the AMScope's downloads page:

https://www.amscope.com/download

The manuals aren't perfect, but they're helpful.

Best wishes and luck.

Dan

Edited by MisterDan, 18 June 2021 - 07:25 PM.

• Profguy likes this

#4 Profguy

Profguy

Vostok 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Cincinnati, Ohio

Posted 18 June 2021 - 08:04 PM

Thank you Avgvstvs and MisterDan! The picture in the link to the AM 150 looks just like the one I have. I believe it does take 23mm eyepieces, so I’ll be looking for those. Many thanks for all your help!

Gary

#5 MisterDan

MisterDan

Viking 1

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 18 June 2021 - 11:09 PM

For such a modest cost, the M150 and its peers are really quite impressive.  Most are simply re-branded versions of one another (i.e. AmScope, Omax, National, TELMU, Swift).  If you'd have shown me picture of an M150, back in the '70s, and told me I could get one for less than the cost of a cheap bike from Kmart, I would have nervously giggled and thought to myself, "This guy's WACK-O!"looney.sml.gif

The Sears and J.C. Penney microscopes that were available when I was a kid weren't even in the same league, let alone the same ballpark.grin.gif

I did end up getting one of these, around 5th grade:

https://www.worthpoi...-600-1881285770

I wish you many, many hours of fun and "coolness" with your (and your grandkids') AmScope.

Best regards.

Dan

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics