•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

I was given a telescope.

• Please log in to reply
37 replies to this topic

#1 Encrypted_God

Encrypted_God

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Right Behind You

Posted 18 June 2021 - 06:18 PM

Hello to everyone. I don't know where to go or what to do with a telescope someone just gave me just 4 days ago. I've searched the internet for 4 days straight and I've come close but nothing gave me the answers I need.

However, I stumbled upon this site in my Google search and read a post way back in 2005. I hoping somebody here with knowledge that can help me. So 4 days ago I was given a telescope, a Sears Model no.4 6335 Equatorial Refractor telescope. 

I known nothing about it let alone never used a telescope. However, I've always had great interest in space. Anyways... I need to know how to put the eyepieces together. What attaches to what. 

Some I figured out but I guess I need a owners manual. Primarily that is what I'm searching for. Here is one picture.

20210617-104621.jpg

Edited by Encrypted_God, 18 June 2021 - 06:20 PM.

• paul hart, Jon Isaacs, mdowns and 6 others like this

#2 starman876

starman876

Nihon Seiko

• Vendors
  • Loc: VA

Posted 18 June 2021 - 06:48 PM

looks like a nice scope.  Please show us some pictures of everything you got with the scope.  Welcome to cloudy nights.

Edited by starman876, 18 June 2021 - 06:48 PM.

• mdowns likes this

#3 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: NE Kansas

Posted 18 June 2021 - 06:53 PM

That's a great looking scope, and looks complete and in great shape! I'm not one of the experts (who no doubt will be along to comment soon) but I can't help but notice it's similarity to one I owned, a Jason 313. It as the same sliding tube style focuser mine had. And the flip down finder scope (mine was missing it's eyepiece, I'm glad to see yours is present)

The eyepiece tray light is neat to have also (my Jason had an identical one) 

Here is the manual for the Jason, and I believe your scope is near identical, enough so that the manual instructions are dead on.

https://wiki.telesco...ctor_Manual.pdf

from the site, https://wiki.telesco.../wiki/Main_Page (I looked at their Sears models, but the mechanicals and finder are different enough that I don't think they apply)

• mdowns and Defenderslideguitar like this

#4 Woodsx

Woodsx

Sputnik

• Loc: Middle of Nowhere Montana

Posted 18 June 2021 - 07:04 PM

Probably not tof much help, but here's a thread about that scope. 

https://www.cloudyni...lub-sears-6335/

• Defenderslideguitar likes this

#5 apfever

apfever

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Colorado

Posted 18 June 2021 - 07:44 PM

Probably not tof much help, but here's a thread about that scope. 

https://www.cloudyni...lub-sears-6335/

That thread is for a much earlier version of the Sears 6335, Royal Astro.  The posted scope is a later Towa version, same make and model. Big difference between the years. 

• LukaszLu and Woodsx like this

#6 RichA

RichA

Soyuz

• Loc: Toronto, Canada

Posted 18 June 2021 - 10:57 PM

Hello to everyone. I don't know where to go or what to do with a telescope someone just gave me just 4 days ago. I've searched the internet for 4 days straight and I've come close but nothing gave me the answers I need.

However, I stumbled upon this site in my Google search and read a post way back in 2005. I hoping somebody here with knowledge that can help me. So 4 days ago I was given a telescope, a Sears Model no.4 6335 Equatorial Refractor telescope. 

I known nothing about it let alone never used a telescope. However, I've always had great interest in space. Anyways... I need to know how to put the eyepieces together. What attaches to what. 

Some I figured out but I guess I need a owners manual. Primarily that is what I'm searching for. Here is one picture.

20210617-104621.jpg

Look up a basic guide on using a German Equatorial Mount because it's possible to damage the mount if used incorrectly.  Also, I don't know what accessories came with it, but you'll need a diagonal prism (right angle viewing device that goes in the small end of the scope) and eyepieces which give

you various powers with the scope.  The small eyepiece tube on the side of the tube is the finder, it's used (because it provides a wide view) to centre objects which you would then view in the main scope.  When you begin, always start off with the lowest power eyepiece (which provides the widest view) which is found by looking at the mm number stamped on the eyepiece.  The higher the number, the lower the power.  Two good targets (other than the moon) right now are Jupiter and Saturn which rise in the East at around 1am in the morning.

#7 Gordon Shumwy

Gordon Shumwy

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 June 2021 - 04:29 AM

20210617-104621.jpg

https://www.youtube....h?v=F0R55KbInnY

Viewing this might be useful to you. Good luck and clear skies!

#8 GreyDay

GreyDay

Viking 1

• -----
  • Loc: Southport UK

Posted 19 June 2021 - 04:57 AM

Try this one, https://wiki.telesco...nual.pdf&page=1

• Kasmos, wrnchhead and Woodsx like this

#9 Encrypted_God

Encrypted_God

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2021 - 01:10 PM

20210617-104947.jpg

• steve t and LukaszLu like this

#10 Encrypted_God

Encrypted_God

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2021 - 01:15 PM

20210617-105009.jpg

• steve t and LukaszLu like this

#11 Encrypted_God

Encrypted_God

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2021 - 01:16 PM

20210617-104528.jpg

• steve t and Katharine like this

#12 Encrypted_God

Encrypted_God

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2021 - 01:19 PM

I don't if this broke off something or where it goes 

20210617-105020.jpg

#13 Kasmos

Kasmos

Soyuz

• Loc: So Cal

Posted 19 June 2021 - 02:16 PM

Looks like you have all  of the accessories that came with it.

The two parts circled in #1 are used separately not together. Check the instruction that were linked in a former post. #2 never use the Sun Filter, it can crack and you can go blind!. #3 I don't recognize. It looks like one of the elements of a finder objective (lens), and dewshield. It may not belong with this model scope or part of the flip finder? Hopefully someone can ID it if it is.

Accessories.jpg

You'll probably eventually want to get some better .0965" eyepieces (brand and type, not size). The 22mm and the 9mm might be ok for now, but the 4mm will be frustrating to use.

• mdowns likes this

#14 GreyDay

GreyDay

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 19 June 2021 - 02:35 PM

#3 looks like either a finderscope lens or part of a barlow, whichever it looks like it's surplus as the rest of the kit is present. If you can't find a home for it i wouldn't worry, i've had loads of random parts included in scopes that shouldn't be there.

#15 Encrypted_God

Encrypted_God

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2021 - 04:31 PM

.... it looks like it's surplus as the rest of the kit is present

Yea... I've been trying to piece it together with something. I dunno ☺

Oh.. And I have used the sunlense just yesterday. Didn't bother me as I eased into it.

Edited by Encrypted_God, 19 June 2021 - 04:36 PM.

#16 TKRussell

TKRussell

Lift Off

• -----

Posted 19 June 2021 - 05:30 PM

Fantastic scope there. Good luck with it and have fun!

TKR

#17 Encrypted_God

Encrypted_God

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2021 - 08:01 PM

Wow... I never expected that this scope was that "cool". The guy just said to me; "Hey... Do you want this? If not I'm going to throw it out".

I'm still struggling with it though. I don't know how that barlow lens attaches, and what goes where, looking through the lens is odd, I'm having all kinds of problems. 😂

#18 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 June 2021 - 08:54 PM

Oh.. And I have used the sunlense just yesterday. Didn't bother me as I eased into it.

Dude, if you take one thing from any of the advice you're getting here its, do. not. use. the. solar. filter. throw it away. They will seem fine then the glass cracks, and suddenly you're pumping magnified sunlight into your eye. The damage will happen faster than you can comprehend what's going on. (imagine a table saw)

Render unusable and dispose of that thing.

• tturtle, SkipW and Marc-Andre like this

#19 wrnchhead

wrnchhead

Mercury-Atlas

Posted 19 June 2021 - 08:55 PM

You can make a proper one out of solar film for very little investment, and it performs much better anyway.

#20 Katharine

Katharine

Ranger 4

• -----

Posted 19 June 2021 - 09:38 PM

As others have said... don't.  A solar filter at the objective end of the scope is one thing.  One at the eyepiece, however, is being hit with all of the light that has already gone through the telescope and been focused.  That's a lot for it to take.  On top of that, the thing is old.

#21 Encrypted_God

Encrypted_God

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2021 - 09:48 PM

OK thank you Katharine and wrnchhea. I Understood and I will throw it away right now. 

Edited by Encrypted_God, 19 June 2021 - 09:55 PM.

#22 GreyDay

GreyDay

Viking 1

• -----

Posted 20 June 2021 - 04:11 AM

I'm still struggling with it though. I don't know how that barlow lens attaches, and what goes where, looking through the lens is odd, I'm having all kinds of problems.

The first thing you need to do is adjust the finderscope so it's aligned with the telescope, (goto page7 in the link i posted above #8) use your 22mm eyepiece and the 90 degree star diagonal only. once aligned replace the 22mm ep with the 9mm and adjust again for finer focus.

Don't worry about the barlow for now,  your 22mm ep will give you 41x magnification, 9mm 100x, and 4mm 225x. (82x-200x-450x when barlowed) the barlow doubles your focal length resulting in double the normal magnification for a given eyepiece.

225x is going to be beyond the capabilities of your scope, most 60mm's will lose resolution around 180x magnification. These 60mm f15 scopes will usually do 150x using a 6mm eyepiece comfortably.

EQ mounts can be frustrating when you're starting out, especially if you're not familiar with what you're looking at. Learn the constellations with a pair of 10x50 bino's and a star atlas, it's so much easier than trying to find your way around using the telescope. Use the EQ mount in Alt-Az mode as this is more intuitive, you could use the terrestrial adapter as it will provide a correct image instead of the reverse image using the star diagonal.

The main thing to remember is, "if in doubt, ask!" we've all been here and understand how steep the learning curve is smile.gif

Edited by GreyDay, 20 June 2021 - 04:14 AM.

• Kasmos likes this

#23 Encrypted_God

Encrypted_God

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 June 2021 - 10:30 AM

Thank Grey day

#24 SteveGR

SteveGR

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Western Michigan

Posted 21 June 2021 - 12:22 PM

OK thank you Katharine and wrnchhea. I Understood and I will throw it away right now. 

If you want to do solar observing, you can get pretty reasonably priced white light solar filters that go on the objective (big) end.  This is much, much, much safer, since you aren't focusing light down to an old small piece of material.  The old ones like the one you received are BAD, I knew a guy who has a dead spot right in the middle of his retina from using one of those.   I believe that some were supposed to be paired with aperture stops that always seem to be missing.

Edited by SteveGR, 21 June 2021 - 12:25 PM.

#25 Nippon

Nippon

Skylab

• Loc: Central Florida

Posted 21 June 2021 - 03:49 PM

Yes those sun filters are bad. They can seem fine but get hot and crack and then let the full magnified brightness of the sun through to your eye. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics