•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

AZ Pro tri-pier tolerances?

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 bqbauer

bqbauer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 June 2021 - 09:07 PM

OK, another newbie question.  For those of you with the tri-pier, was/is it the tiniest bit off round?  Are your screw holes perfectly lined up with the top mounting plate's holes?  One screw hole for me is a fraction of a mm off from the pier's drilled holes, and my pier is just enough off round that I have to hit the mounting plate with my hand to get it in, making almost impossible to rotate into alignment.  I'm not sure I'll get much support for tolerances being off by so little, but it's annoying.  Are these typical, or true for some, not for others?

Rubber mallet calling....

#2 Xeroid

Xeroid

Vanguard

• Loc: USA

Posted 18 June 2021 - 09:18 PM

Not sure if this would help: 

I added a sticker to the top plate and the side cylinder to mark its "zero" position before I took the top plate off.

Idea here is to make sure I put it back in the same place.

I also use larger Thumb screw heads that help tighten down the top plate and eliminate any possible movement. 

Lastly, yup you may need to use that rubber mallet to "customize it" 

lol.gif

Edited by Xeroid, 18 June 2021 - 09:23 PM.

#3 bqbauer

bqbauer

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 June 2021 - 09:50 PM

Thanks again!  So was yours slightly snug (i.e. not a geometrically perfect circle)?  Probably don't need the 34 digit accuracy of my fancy DM42 calculator for this one.

#4 dustyc

dustyc

Viking 1

• Loc: Phoenix,AZ

Posted 18 June 2021 - 10:02 PM

Is it new? Ship it back to the dealer and request a replacement. Life's too short for "l'll live with it" defects. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics