•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Patrick Moore I take my hat off to you.

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 Resurgance

Resurgance

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Nelson, New Zealand

Posted 18 June 2021 - 09:46 PM

Am just about finished reading 'The Story of Astronomy' by Patrick Moore, first published in 1961 and my copy dated 1977. Wow.
This book holistically describes the origins of our great hobby in enough detail to be thoroughly informative, while at all times keeping below the intellectual threshold of mere mortals (in my opinion)
It has added great detail to my general knowledge and also in my opinion is one of the most complete compilations of the origins to things as they stood in 1977 or thereabouts.

Question please:
Can anyone recommend a book along these lines but that brings me up to date? From circa 1970s to the current day
For example the hubble telescope made huge inroads to understanding our galactic neighbors. There are many things unanswered at the time of this book in terms of distances and ages.
Yes. I understand fully that the internet is full of information but I really like a good book a.k.a. not a screen
And also there is nothing quite like a compilation of the bigger ideas centered around important innovations and more importantly small or large shifts in conventional thinking that lead to new discoveries. One of my favorite parts of this book is how a great deal of the discoveries were made simultaneously but quite independently in different parts of the world by people from all walks of life that were able to conceptualize ideas in unique ways.

Thanks!
Stew Thorp
  • Sagitta and kjkrum like this

#2 vtornado

vtornado

Skylab

• Loc: 42N 88W

Posted 18 June 2021 - 11:19 PM

Not exactly the same book, but "Seeing in the Dark" by Timothy Ferris is an excellent story.

Its theme discusses the new import role amatures are making in astronomy due to the advent of large dob's and new imaging cameras.

It is an interesting blend of Ferris' stories of being a star gazer in his youth, general astronomy, astronomical folk lore etc.

He is an excellent story teller.

https://www.amazon.c...24076252&sr=8-3

Timothy also has a book entitled "The Whole Shebang" which tries to explain the latest in cosmological thinking.

I have not read this one.

VT.

Edited by vtornado, 18 June 2021 - 11:22 PM.

• George N likes this

#3 gene 4181

gene 4181

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: n.e. ohio

Posted 18 June 2021 - 11:51 PM

The Red Limit and Coming of Age in the Milky Way are excellent also

• kjkrum likes this

#4 Resurgance

Resurgance

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2021 - 03:06 AM

Thanks VT and Gene I'll check them out!

#5 spereira

spereira

Fly Me to the Moon

• Moderators
  • Loc: Bedford, NH

Posted 19 June 2021 - 07:42 AM

Moving to Astro Art, Books, Websites & Other Media.

smp

#6 Resurgance

Resurgance

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2021 - 02:32 AM

Thanks I have had a better look through forum titles now.
And apologies for missing the Sir in front of Sir Patrick Moore. What an amazing advocate. Really wrapt that he got to see the transit of Venus before he left us.

#7 astrokeith

astrokeith

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: Surrey, UK

Posted 20 June 2021 - 05:15 AM

The titles suggested are excellent, but some of them are a bit dated now. Cosmology is moving forward so fast in the last few years that work quickly get overtaken.

I enjoyed 'The end of evrything (astrophysically thinking)' by Katie Mack.

ps: I had the pleasure of meeting with Sir Patrick a couple of times. A great man. He was also the reason I got into astronomy as a 9 year old boy.

Edited by astrokeith, 20 June 2021 - 05:19 AM.

• George N, khingdheano, BFaucett and 1 other like this

#8 khingdheano

khingdheano

Vostok 1

• Loc: Dallas, TX

Posted 20 June 2021 - 11:38 PM

Don't worry about omitting the "Sir" in front of Patrick's name. I knew him rather well, he preferred to be addressed by anyone, strangers included,

simply as "Patrick".

Thanks I have had a better look through forum titles now.
And apologies for missing the Sir in front of Sir Patrick Moore. What an amazing advocate. Really wrapt that he got to see the transit of Venus before he left us.

#9 Resurgance

Resurgance

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 21 June 2021 - 04:35 AM

KhingDheano you are fortunate to have been a friend - i would have like to have met him, his delivery and knowledge certainly resonates with me. Also I really like that he didnt go to university. Now days generally speaking it seems that this is a real advantage as creative thought and individuality takes a back seat to peer reviewed ideas/approved thinking.

#10 quicksiver

quicksiver

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: Hertfordshire, UK.

Posted 11 July 2021 - 04:08 PM

The Story of Astronomy is indeed excellent - as is anything penned by Sir Patrick Moore. But there is a more up to date version which considerably expands the text throughout and takes the story up to 1983. It was published as Patrick Moore’s History of Astronomy (Macdonald and Co 1983). 

Other Moore books in a similar vein I’d recommend are The Unfolding Universe (Michael Joseph 1982) and Watchers of the Stars (Michael Joseph 1973). 

Edited by quicksiver, 11 July 2021 - 04:11 PM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics