•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Mirror Coatings: Enhanced or not?

• Please log in to reply
51 replies to this topic

#51 Mike Lockwood

Mike Lockwood

Vendor, Lockwood Custom Optics

• Vendors
  • Loc: Usually in my optical shop

Posted 07 July 2021 - 06:43 PM

Also one of the telescopes on Mauna Kea, Subaru I think, used silver.  They vacuum deposit it and overrcoat it as I recall.  A small minority for sure.

I checked on this - one of my clients works there and does coating, among other things.  He said they did not do any overcoating, just bare aluminum for the primary mirror, optical secondary and tertiary, and bare silver for the infrared secondary and tertiary mirror.

Also the symptomology is wrong, the defects are more likely what I posted in 2016 in that thread - contamination of some sort.

I agree, this is not an "enhanced" coating issue, this is an issue caused by contamination of the chamber or faulty stripping of the previous coating.

#52 SandyHouTex

SandyHouTex

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Houston, Texas, USA

Posted 08 July 2021 - 06:20 PM

I checked on this - one of my clients works there and does coating, among other things.  He said they did not do any overcoating, just bare aluminum for the primary mirror, optical secondary and tertiary, and bare silver for the infrared secondary and tertiary mirror.

I agree, this is not an "enhanced" coating issue, this is an issue caused by contamination of the chamber or faulty stripping of the previous coating.

Actually it's the two Gemini telescopes (North and South) that are coated with Silver:

https://wp.optics.ar...es-Tutorial.pdf

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics