•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

SharpCap Pro doesn;t see AstroTortilla

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 rocketdmc

rocketdmc

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 18 June 2021 - 10:24 PM

I'm trying to install AstroTortilla for use with SharpCap. The install seem to go ok for AstroTortilla but when I try to configure SharpCap is doesn;t see AstroTortilla. I get the following in the Plate Solver Detection Staus window in SharpCap/

Manually configured Astrometry      : Not configured
AstroTortilla                                     : Not found
All Sky Plate Solver                        : Not found at C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Astrometry
Ansvr                                              : Not found at C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\cygwin_ansvr
Cygwin/Astrometry based             : Not found at C:\cygwin
Astap                                                : Not found at c:\Program Files (x86)\Astap\Astap.exe

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Dave

Edited by rocketdmc, 18 June 2021 - 10:25 PM.

#2 Rac19

Rac19

Vanguard

Posted 18 June 2021 - 10:56 PM

I'm trying to install AstroTortilla for use with SharpCap. The install seem to go ok for AstroTortilla but when I try to configure SharpCap is doesn;t see AstroTortilla. I get the following in the Plate Solver Detection Staus window in SharpCap/

AstroTortilla                                     : Not found
All Sky Plate Solver                        : Not found at C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\Astrometry
Ansvr                                              : Not found at C:\Users\Dave\AppData\Local\cygwin_ansvr
Astap                                                : Not found at c:\Program Files (x86)\Astap\Astap.exe

Any ideas what I'm doing wrong?

Dave

From my recent experience, you really only need Ansvr. There others (AstroTorttilla, All Sky Plate Solver etc) make use of Ansvr and can be used separately from SharpCap. If you are plate solving through SharpCap, they are not really needed, they main thing that they do is download Ansvr.

After being in a similar situation, I unistalled everything abandoned installed Ansvr only. Sharpcap now plate solves reliably. Ansvr appears to be an http histed server application but you don't actually need to run it. As long as it is installed SharpCap seems to find what it needs.

I spent many hours downloading 31 GB worth of index files by the way.

EDIT: Here's what I have in SharpCap and it works perfectly. Someting that seemd to cause comfusion was teh location of Cygin. AstroTortilla installs it a C:\Cygwin. Ansvr installs its own copy.

AstroTortilla                       : Not found
All Sky Plate Solver                : Not found at C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Local\Astrometry
Ansvr                               : Found at C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Local\cygwin_ansvr
Astap                               : Not found at c:\Program Files (x86)\Astap\A

Edited by Rac19, 18 June 2021 - 11:09 PM.

#3 rocketdmc

rocketdmc

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 18 June 2021 - 11:22 PM

Thanks Rac19

So ANSVR will work like AstroTortilla and plate solve then work with SharpCap. I’m looking for it to work after using CDC to select a target, then reposition the mount to the correct location.

Sorry, I’m just starting out and trying to learn how all these applications interact.

#4 Rac19

Rac19

Vanguard

Posted 18 June 2021 - 11:34 PM

Thanks Rac19

So ANSVR will work like AstroTortilla and plate solve then work with SharpCap. I’m looking for it to work after using CDC to select a target, then reposition the mount to the correct location.

Sorry, I’m just starting out and trying to learn how all these applications interact.

I know how it is, having been there. As I said, I eventually came to conclusion that Ansvr is the core software and AstroTortilla is one of a number of applications that provides a user interface. I could be wrong of course.

#5 PDB

PDB

Vostok 1

• -----

Posted 19 June 2021 - 01:47 AM

No. Ansrv is also just a wrapper like all the others. The main component of all of them is astronomy.ney (solve-field) installed locally on your computer. Ansrvr is just creating a wrapper to make it work like the on-line astronomy.net web interface.

Paul

#6 Rac19

Rac19

Vanguard

Posted 19 June 2021 - 01:59 AM

No. Ansrv is also just a wrapper like all the others. The main component of all of them is astronomy.ney (solve-field) installed locally on your computer. Ansrvr is just creating a wrapper to make it work like the on-line astronomy.net web interface.

Paul

I stand corrected. I it is a while now since I got it working.

EDIT: I finally found a similar thread that I started in May. Post #18 lists my final conclusions at the time and it was Astrometry.net that was the key. I am not sure whether ansvr is associated with Astrometry.net or is just another option.

https://www.cloudyni...-astrotortilla/

Edited by Rac19, 19 June 2021 - 02:44 AM.

#7 Rac19

Rac19

Vanguard

Posted 19 June 2021 - 02:44 AM

I don't pretend to fully understand how ansvr and astrometry.net relate to each other but this quote provides some sort of explanation.

I get the impression that solve-field.exe is the key executable in all of this.

ansvr - local Astrometry.net plate solver for Windows

ansvr is plate solving software that works just like the nova.astrometry.net online plate solving service, but uses an instance of the Astrometry.net plate solver on your Windows PC, no internet connection required.

ansvr was originally developed to work with Sequence Generator Pro, but any application that uses nova.astrometry.net can use ansvr in place of nova. Several imaging applications now work with ansvr including AstroImageJ, ACP and PinPoint.

Edited by Rac19, 19 June 2021 - 03:06 AM.

#8 barbarosa

barbarosa

Gemini

• Loc: 139 miles W of the Awahnee Hotel

Posted 19 June 2021 - 04:35 AM

Many SC  users find ASTAP to be the best plate solver.

As you can see from my SC Plate Solve Tab, I've tried more than one program

AstroTortilla                       : Not found (binary path missing : C:\cygwin\bin)
All Sky Plate Solver                : Found at C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Local\Astrometry
Ansvr                               : Found at C:\Users\xxxxx\AppData\Local\cygwin_ansvr
Cygwin/Astrometry based             : Not found (binary path missing : C:\cygwin\bin)
Astap                               : Found at c:\Program Files\Astap\Astap.exe

#9 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 20 June 2021 - 08:24 AM

What version of SharpCap are you running?

#10 rocketdmc

rocketdmc

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2021 - 05:44 PM

I’m using SharpCap Pro 3.2

ive switched to ansvr and SCP is recognizing it.  

#11 Rac19

Rac19

Vanguard

Posted 20 June 2021 - 06:50 PM

Ansvr was what worked for me, after a lot of experimentation and without really knowing why. I think that I saw some information, somewhere along that journey, indicating that the normal AstroTortilla download was "out of date", whatever that means.

Underneath it all I believe that SharpCap is looking for solve-field.exe which in turn needs to be able to locate the index files.

Edited by Rac19, 20 June 2021 - 06:51 PM.

#12 alphatripleplus

alphatripleplus

World Controller

• Moderators
  • Loc: Georgia

Posted 21 June 2021 - 07:28 AM

Glad it is working with ansvr. I've had no problems using SharpCap 3.2 with ASPS and ASTAP, but I've never tried it with AstroTortilla.

#13 Jeff Lee

Jeff Lee

Vanguard

Posted 21 June 2021 - 07:42 AM

It all depends on where you installed ASP and it's plate files. I had that issue also but found where the files were located, changed that in SharpCap settings and PS works fine.

#14 rocketdmc

rocketdmc

Sputnik

• topic starter

Posted 23 June 2021 - 02:57 PM

I used ansvr with SharpCap for the first time last night and it worked like a charm. First plate solve was quick and centered the target. 

Thanks for the help. 

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics