•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Edge hd external focuser

Beginner Celestron Catadioptric Accessories
  • Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 TintiNite

TintiNite

Lift Off

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 18 June 2021 - 10:46 PM

Real newbie here!

If focusing via primary mirror movement is not ideal, can you lock the primary permanently and use an external focuser?

Thanks

#2 james7ca

james7ca

Voyager 1

• Loc: San Diego, CA

Posted 19 June 2021 - 02:59 AM

Yes, I have that exact setup on my 9.25" EdgeHD. I still use the built-in focuser for rough focus, but then I lock the mirrors and use a 2" Feathertouch Crayford focuser for final focus. That said, the mirror locks on the EdgeHD won't really keep the primary mirror from moving, they just make it less likely to move. I also unlock the mirror at the end of the session.

Edited by james7ca, 19 June 2021 - 03:04 AM.

#3 rmollise

rmollise

ISS

• Loc: US

Posted 19 June 2021 - 01:28 PM

It really shouldn't be an issue. In most modern scopes, focus shift--if that is your issue--is less than 45". Also, the Edge has different requirements for spacing on the rear cell compared to the standard scopes. Be sure to take that into account.

• Linwood likes this

#4 Linwood

Linwood

Mercury-Atlas

• Loc: Ft Myers, Florida, USA

Posted 19 June 2021 - 07:33 PM

And especially if you are new to using it, just wait until you settle into a routine, i.e. what kind of imaging train you plan, since backfocus and potentially rotation (auto or manual) become a thing, and the train (mono or color, filter wheel, etc.) can make a lot of difference. 

Also, as @rmollise says, make sure you are fixing a problem you have, not just one you read about.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Beginner, Celestron, Catadioptric, Accessories

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics