•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Hotech Advanced CT Collimator laser adjustment

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Finite

Finite

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2021 - 07:07 AM

For those of you with one of these units and who wish to align the lasers - “collimate the collimator” in other words, the size of the hex wrench “key” you’ll need to adjust each laser is 0.050”. It is tiny, and most hex wrench sets don’t go that small. Fuller make a set which does. I’ve also seen a “Mako” brand here in NZ too, which looks identical to the Fuller but is likely a cheap copy and has a review suggesting it is too soft. It should be fine for collimation of the Hotech.

I won’t go into detail here as to how to go about checking the alignment of the lasers, that’s been covered in other posts by other people, but I don’t think the size of the hex wrench needed was covered. So there you go, that’s the main reason for this post - if you plan on giving this a go yourself (I did because I’m in New Zealand and didn’t want to spend the time couriering it to USA and back to be done) then get yourself the correct hex wrench before you start. You don’t want to get all setup to carry out the adjustmeny of the lasers then find you’re hamstrung without the correct tool.

Once you’ve opened the laser housings you’ll see each laser unit has three hex screws for adjusting the direction the laser points (this is done just like aligning your finder scope) in the sides of the housing.

The usual advice comes in here,
- don’t look directly into the laser beams
- if you’re unsure about proceeding then send the unit to Hotech to be collimated

**Edited for spelling and clarity**

Edited by Finite, 19 June 2021 - 03:57 PM.

#2 Finite

Finite

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2021 - 07:48 AM

Opened crosshair laser housing on back of unit. All the laser housings are the same design. One of the three hex screws for making adjustments is visible. The other two are equidistant around the housing.

Attached Thumbnails

• 1FBE13CF-11CE-4BB2-A550-8D863B045314.jpeg

#3 Finite

Finite

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2021 - 07:53 AM

Before adjustment. Note the laser dots and crosshairs, projected into a good quality wall mirror and from there directly back onto the collimator face, are not coming directly back to their point of origin.

Attached Thumbnails

• CC36DE8A-75C2-42F9-AE32-38CB82DDBA82.jpeg

#4 Finite

Finite

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2021 - 07:57 AM

With any one laser aligned back onto itself by adjusting the Hotechs supplied 2-way head, none of the other lasers were aligned.

#5 Finite

Finite

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2021 - 08:00 AM

And after adjusting the lasers. Again, this is with the lasers projected into a good wall mirror and back to the Collimators face. About a distance of 18 feet each way.

Attached Thumbnails

• 18326546-167F-495D-A6A2-05BA4F356408.jpeg

#6 Finite

Finite

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2021 - 08:05 AM

Lastly, projected post-alignment onto a template. Over a distance of 18 feet.

Attached Thumbnails

• 8DEAB29B-B7A8-4DD5-A20C-7071B8C49BBF.jpeg

#7 choward94002

choward94002

Viking 1

• Loc: Bay Area, Central AZ

Posted 19 June 2021 - 09:24 AM

Good post!  The only thing that I would add would be that any wall mirror is not going to be optically flat, so it's only good to about five or six feet away.  What I do to align my Hotechs is I've taken a piece of 1/2" plywood, painted it silver and then drilled four holes at the exact placement and size of the Hotech lasers plus about 1/8" into the plywood, the interior of which I've painted flat black.

In use when I don't see any more "red" reflected back (and I use a small binocular to check that) in all four holes then I know it's collimated.  Doing this I am able to set the plywood about 40ft away from the device

Why the larger hole diameter, and why 40'?  The Hotech lasers will spread over distance, so at 40' the spread is about 1/8" larger than the exit diameter of the laser ...

Assuming I don't drop it or anything, I will recollimate my Hotech's about every year ... the hex part is on Amazon [https://www.amazon.c...112847&sr=8-10]

Edited by choward94002, 19 June 2021 - 09:28 AM.

• Finite likes this

#8 Finite

Finite

Sputnik

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2021 - 06:29 PM

Thanks for that I had seen your post, - very good and I’d like to do that at some stage.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics