•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NV the great equaliser

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 alexvh

alexvh

Messenger

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 19 June 2021 - 01:32 PM

Hi guys
There’s a YouTube channel run by a guy called Dakota Starry nights. He did a comparison of using night vision on a 12” and 16” dob. I must say I could not see much of a difference. He mentions in the video as NV being the great equaliser. Has anyone else done a comparison of different apertures?

#2 Dale Eason

Dale Eason

Vanguard

• Loc: Roseville,Mn.

Posted 19 June 2021 - 02:04 PM

Yes, but you have to take into account the speed of each scope.   I have a 10 F3 and 16 F5.   I mostly use the 10F3 because the 16 takes 10 times longer to setup.   However when I wanted more image scale I used the 16.  But it will be darker because it is slower.  I have only used the 16 once or twice.  Because it is so much harder to setup compared to my almost grab and go 10 F3.   Eventually once I can walk and carry things once again I will do a more detailed comparison.   At present it is just too much fun using the 10 F3 for NV.

• GeezerGazer likes this

#3 a__l

a__l

Gemini

• -----

Posted 19 June 2021 - 06:55 PM

Dependence on a transparent sky. Therefore, it is necessary to compare side by side.

General principles apply here. For extended objects of small size, the aperture is larger, the scale is larger, and the details are greater.
For objects of large size, aesthetic perception, since the entire object is not visible at a large aperture.

There is a choice, choose a larger aperture size and faster. For me it is 24" f/3.3. But this is not always possible use to the weight. Next 18" f/4. I finished building it in 2009. I upgraded it several times, lightened the weight by 10 kg from the started (the heavy part), replaced the secondary with a larger size, made a more strong spider, carbon, motors, etc. I continue to improve it until today.

#4 Jeff Morgan

Jeff Morgan

Voyager 1

• Loc: Prescott, AZ

Posted 20 June 2021 - 01:26 AM

There certainly are some variables in play. A few things are certain though:

1) NV allows scopes to punch above their weight; and

2) If the target is one well-suited to NV (most - but not all - are), at equal apertures a scope with a NV eyepiece outperforms one without.

The overall performance is such that if I lost everything in some disaster tomorrow, the very first piece of gear I would re-acquire would be NV.

• GeezerGazer, BJS, Dale Eason and 3 others like this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics