•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

NVA and Shapstar 150mm F/2.8 HNT

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 Jethro7

Jethro7

Vanguard

• topic starter
  • Loc: N.W. Florida

Posted 19 June 2021 - 06:42 PM

Hello Cners,

This compact and Fast Astrograph intrigues me for Night Vision Astronomy and a Grab and Go set up,  I have a ETA in the middle of July.

My question. Is anyone out there using this scope for NVA and is there any thing that I need to know about it, such as piece of gear that I should get, or a trick or a tip that I should know? I will be using this scope in a afocal arrangement.

THANK YOU, HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

#2 a__l

a__l

Gemini

• -----

Posted 19 June 2021 - 08:31 PM

I am interested in the quality of SharpStar large focusers. There are two reasons, the main price and the second, the FT has problems.
I hope you share a photo of a focuser from different angles and objectively tell your opinion.

Edited by a__l, 19 June 2021 - 08:32 PM.

#3 Jethro7

Jethro7

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 19 June 2021 - 09:21 PM

I am interested in the quality of SharpStar large focusers. There are two reasons, the main price and the second, the FT has problems.
I hope you share a photo of a focuser from different angles and objectively tell your opinion.

Hello a__i,

I fear that I may have pulled the trigger a little fast on this scope. I still have time to contemplate the purchase. It seems that the quality controle with the SharpStar has been a problem, at least in the past. I will see if anyone else has anything to add to this. Some love theirs others have sold them and moved on.  

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

#4 Mazerski

Mazerski

Viking 1

Posted 19 June 2021 - 10:23 PM

Jethro, 

Did you see this thread from a few days ago?

https://www.cloudyni...130-f28-for-nv/

Look at Post #7 by maxmir

#5 Jethro7

Jethro7

Vanguard

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2021 - 12:14 AM

Jethro, 

Did you see this thread from a few days ago?

https://www.cloudyni...130-f28-for-nv/

Look at Post #7 by maxmir

Hello Mazerski,

Opps... I missed that one thanks. So you like your TS Boren. HMM.... I found some other threads on other Forums tonight that do not put the Sharpstars in a good light being delivered with stripped screws, loose floppy mirrors, or just not being collimatable. Some really like theirs and have had no issues. I should have dug a little deeper on the research before pulling the trigger. Maybe I just need to stick to my original game plan and go with a large aperture refractor and a focal reducer, they are my preferred  genre of scope any how. I just wished that choosing scopes were as easy as choosing mounts. 

HAPPY SKIES AND KEEP LOOKING UP Jethro

Edited by Jethro7, 20 June 2021 - 12:16 AM.

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics