•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Jupiter and Saturn, 20 June 2021

• Please log in to reply
48 replies to this topic

#1 Tulloch

Tulloch

Gemini

• topic starter
  • Loc: Melbourne, Australia

Posted 20 June 2021 - 02:33 AM

It's been a while since I headed out into the cold and damp morning, due to a combination of factors including laziness, cloud cover, seeing conditions and planet positions. However, an opening appeared this morning which promised good seeing, a GRS transit and a new imaging computer to try out. I started on Saturn and the seeing at 4am was very good, so I banged off a 10 minute capture in the hope of either de-rotating the video in WJ, or at least extracting the best parts of the capture using the "Limit" tool in AS!3. The image of Saturn below was the middle 3 minutes of the 10 min capture, maybe I'll try the video de-rotation later.

Next I turned to Jupiter, and the seeing stayed at pretty good for a while before deteriorating badly from around 5:40. I got a couple of reasonable images with the shadow from Europa crossing the disc, the best of which are shown below, and I've put together an animation of the 7 captures, where you can see how the conditions worsened, probably due the city (and people's central heating units) springing into life. By the end, Jupiter looked like the familiar "jelly on a plate" and so I stopped capturing and packed up.

There's an interesting white spot near the GRS on Jupiter, and the North Temperate Belt/Zone shows a distinct change of colour in the single belt.

For those of you following along from my thread on my new computer, I used the external SD Card to capture about 100 GB of data this morning, and the SD card never missed a beat. I was only capturing planets, so the throughput was low, but it still worked a charm.

Capture details: Celestron Evolution 9.25" SCT @ around f/21 with 2.5x TV PowerMate, ASI 224MC, Saturn @ 100 fps, Jupiter @ 150, Best 3 minute sections of 10 minute captures stacked in AS!3 with 3x drizzle, sharpened in Registax, final touches in Photoshop Elements, Saturn and Jupiter 50% larger than captured, animation smaller to fit on the website.

Andrew

Attached Thumbnails

• 2021-06-19-1810_5-L-Sat_limit020000-040000_AS_F5000_lapl6_ap108_Driz30 Sat925LitLes r1g1b11 ps1sm150.png
  • 2021-06-19-1831_3-L-Jup_limit000000-030000_AS_F5000_lapl6_ap127_Driz30 Jup925mid r1g1b11 ps1sm150 straight 2.png
  • 2021-06-19-1831_3-L-Jup_limit000000-030000_AS_F5000_lapl6_ap127_Driz30 Jup925mid r1g1b11 ps1sm150 straight 4.png

Edited by Tulloch, 20 June 2021 - 02:49 AM.

• Sunspot, Magellanico, Kenny V. and 38 others like this

#2 Tulloch

Tulloch

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2021 - 02:34 AM

... and the animation

Attached Thumbnails

• 2021-06-19 Jupiter animation vsm.png

• Kenny V., russ75, George Bailey and 16 others like this

#3 Ittaku

Ittaku

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 June 2021 - 03:32 AM

Great stuff, Andrew. I have too much (crap) data to have finished processing it all to post yet, and it's been a big day with my wife's 50th bday party. I'll get around to it eventually, though nothing was particularly good. Think you have any stamina for tomorrow morning?

• Tulloch likes this

#4 Tulloch

Tulloch

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2021 - 03:38 AM

Probably not - just recorded 50 GB of ISS footage ... lol.gif

• gfstallin and Ittaku like this

#5 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Aurora

• Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 20 June 2021 - 03:50 AM

Bloody ripper as always, mate!

Ooooo…and an animated PNG! bow.gif

BQ

• Tulloch likes this

#6 Tulloch

Tulloch

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2021 - 05:12 AM

Thanks BQ - love an animated PNG, but getting them under the 500kB limit is tricky smile.gif

Edited by Tulloch, 20 June 2021 - 05:12 AM.

#7 Quopaz

Quopaz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 20 June 2021 - 05:38 AM

Very nice, that great white spot looks good- be interesting to see what happens to it.
Pretty good Saturn there too.
Had no seeing at all here for about 2 or 3 weeks now but tomorrow morning is a possibility.

#8 Visit-the-Moon

Visit-the-Moon

Mariner 2

• -----

Posted 20 June 2021 - 06:13 AM

Great images Andrew, you were imaging at exactly the same time I was. The first image is only a few minutes from mine, with the shadow of Europa right on the limb. I turned in before 5:40am, could see it going down-hill fast and then there was so much dew. 

I'm using a 2" 2x PM now so that I can include the ADC in the train - I couldn't work the ADC into my previous 1.6x arrangement. I Drizzle 1.5x, no other resizing. Let the computer do the AS!3 work when I was back to sleep. You'll be happy with the more capable computer, makes a big difference.

• Tulloch likes this

#9 phileefan

phileefan

Viking 1

• Loc: Williamsport, PA

Posted 20 June 2021 - 06:58 AM

Andrew,

Very nice images you have above!  waytogo.gif  I never used a SD card but I've been using a external Samsung T5 SSD now for a few years and never had an issue. 

• Tulloch likes this

#10 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Surveyor 1

• -----
  • Loc: Seattle, USA

Posted 20 June 2021 - 02:15 PM

You've got some really good data there, Andrew, but I think I preferred the processing you were using last year, e.g.,

https://www.cloudyni...une/?p=10297455

The sharpening isn't quite as intense in those older images, which gave Jupiter a more natural appearance, and the image scale was perhaps more suited to C9.25 images (although that seems to be a matter of personal taste). I do like the brighter look of the new images, though (and you're still much better at controlling noise than I am!).

• russ75, Kokatha man and Tulloch like this

#11 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 20 June 2021 - 03:17 PM

Total ball ox.

Have you seen this?

https://youtu.be/gU2NRRRxnws
  • Tulloch likes this

#12 Tulloch

Tulloch

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2021 - 05:12 PM

Thanks for the likes and comments all, nice to get some reasonable seeing for a change

Very nice, that great white spot looks good- be interesting to see what happens to it.
Pretty good Saturn there too.
Had no seeing at all here for about 2 or 3 weeks now but tomorrow morning is a possibility.

Thanks Nick, the weather has been pretty awful here also, hopefully things will improve soon. All my cloud predictors were saying tomorrow would be clouded over, but I came out this morning and all was clear! I'm sure Con would be out though lol.gif .

Great images Andrew, you were imaging at exactly the same time I was. The first image is only a few minutes from mine, with the shadow of Europa right on the limb. I turned in before 5:40am, could see it going down-hill fast and then there was so much dew. 

I'm using a 2" 2x PM now so that I can include the ADC in the train - I couldn't work the ADC into my previous 1.6x arrangement. I Drizzle 1.5x, no other resizing. Let the computer do the AS!3 work when I was back to sleep. You'll be happy with the more capable computer, makes a big difference.

Thanks Andrew, you must have a lot more clearance on your CPC than I do - there's no way I could get an ADC in the train with a barlow/PM without a diagonal at these elevations. Of course, you don't really need one at 60+ degrees elevation, as the planets get lower and an ADC becomes more important, I won't have the mount clearance issues any more. I do 3x drizzle in AS!3 and sharpen/process at the larger scale, before reducing them to a more normal size afterwards - each to their own smile.gif.

Andrew,

Very nice images you have above!  waytogo.gif  I never used a SD card but I've been using a external Samsung T5 SSD now for a few years and never had an issue. 

Thanks Phil, I liked the SD card because it just slots into the laptop and I don't need to carry around another box. I also like the fact that it is doesn't use a USB3 port, as I wasn't sure if that might affect the USB traffic flow. It saves at 80 MB/sec, so is good enough for me in 90% of my captures.

You've got some really good data there, Andrew, but I think I preferred the processing you were using last year, e.g.,

https://www.cloudyni...une/?p=10297455

The sharpening isn't quite as intense in those older images, which gave Jupiter a more natural appearance, and the image scale was perhaps more suited to C9.25 images (although that seems to be a matter of personal taste). I do like the brighter look of the new images, though (and you're still much better at controlling noise than I am!).

Thanks Ray, and yes, you are bang on with your assessment of sharpening. I don't know what it was, but my "standard" Registax sharpening setting (named "KiwiRay" for obvious reasons) wasn't giving me much detail in these images at all. I have sharpened one of the images above using the same settings as last year and shown it below, the resolution is gone but it might appear more "natural". Of course, this is the old trade-off between resolution and heavy contrast that we all deal with. I'm giving AstraImage another go to see if I can use the deconvolution tools there, but it seems to be giving similar results right now.

The seeing was good, but not great, and I found I needed to increase the sliders in Registax to give me the details. Of course, this comes at the expense of the heavily contrasted areas you see above (I probably should have displayed them at captured size, not 1.5x). 

Total ball ox.

Have you seen this?

https://youtu.be/gU2NRRRxnws

Thanks Kevin, not exactly sure what you mean here?

Andrew

Attached Thumbnails

• 2021-06-19-1925_9-L-Jup_limit000000-030000_AS_F5000_lapl6_ap129_Driz30 Jup925Kiwi r1g1b11 ps1sm150.png

• Ittaku likes this

#13 Ittaku

Ittaku

Apollo

• -----

Posted 20 June 2021 - 05:47 PM

Thanks Nick, the weather has been pretty awful here also, hopefully things will improve soon. All my cloud predictors were saying tomorrow would be clouded over, but I came out this morning and all was clear! I'm sure Con would be out though lol.gif .

I was, and 5 hours sleep over 2 days, a hangover, and 1 degree temperatures are really something, but the seeing was good, so no regrets! Dew is my main enemy it seems, but my dew dodge and parry skills are improving.

• Tulloch likes this

#14 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 June 2021 - 05:48 PM

Oh, wow - yeah, you can definitely improve on that version! It's way too soft. I wonder if the settings you saved last year needed linked wavelets checked. When I used my saved settings on the image I posted recently, it didn't have the box checked automatically (although I thought it was saved with it checked), and what I got after sharpening was really disappointing. Once I checked linked wavelets, all the details appeared.

• russ75 and Tulloch like this

#15 Tulloch

Tulloch

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2021 - 05:58 PM

I was, and 5 hours sleep over 2 days, a hangover, and 1 degree temperatures are really something, but the seeing was good, so no regrets! Dew is my main enemy it seems, but my dew dodge and parry skills are improving.

You are a crazy man Eyecrazy.gif looney.sml.gif lol.gif

• Ittaku likes this

#16 Tulloch

Tulloch

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2021 - 06:01 PM

Oh, wow - yeah, you can definitely improve on that version! It's way too soft. I wonder if the settings you saved last year needed linked wavelets checked. When I used my saved settings on the image I posted recently, it didn't have the box checked automatically (although I thought it was saved with it checked), and what I got after sharpening was really disappointing. Once I checked linked wavelets, all the details appeared.

Thanks Ray - again, right on the money! When I moved my settings across from my old computer, the setting to link the wavelets didn't transfer across, and the box was unchecked.

I have checked it now, and the sharpening looks much better, I'll put an updated post up soon.

Thanks again for the tip flowerred.gif

• KiwiRay likes this

#17 Tulloch

Tulloch

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2021 - 07:01 PM

Yep, linked wavelets did the trick smile.gif. It's interesting, on my new computer I am unable to save the sharpening scheme with the linked wavelets button ticked, I've tried a number of ways and the program stubbornly refuses to save the scheme with the checkbox ticked. I never had this problem on my old (Windows 10) computer, not sure what's going on here. I wonder if we can get the developers to produce a new version* with a fix? wink.gif

Thanks again for your intervention Ray, it would have taken me ages to work that out (if at all smile.gif).

Andrew

* And yes, I know, Registax hasn't been updated for 10+ years lol.gif

Attached Thumbnails

• 2021-06-19-1925_9-L-Jup_limit000000-030000_AS_F5000_lapl6_ap129_Driz30 Jup925KiwiCorrect r1g1b11 ps1sm150.png

Edited by Tulloch, 20 June 2021 - 07:01 PM.

• russ75, Kokatha man, KiwiRay and 3 others like this

#18 BQ Octantis

BQ Octantis

Aurora

• Loc: Red Centre, Oz

Posted 20 June 2021 - 07:08 PM

Thanks BQ - love an animated PNG, but getting them under the 500kB limit is tricky smile.gif

I don't bother with size containment anymore. A smooth, fully-reversed animation has no hope of fitting under the limit without having to make too many sacrifices. So I create a much smaller, one-way GIF preview (Photoshop lets you scale an animated GIF to a target output size). And I provide a link to the full size image. For my static images, I now just add the link to the preview image (with the preview scaled to CN's 964 pixel width post display limit), but I've gotten some weirdness adding a link to a GIF. Some browsers insist on opening the GIF in a separate window instead of the link. So I just put the link under the image.

BQ

• Tulloch likes this

#19 KiwiRay

KiwiRay

Surveyor 1

• -----

Posted 20 June 2021 - 09:41 PM

Happy to help, Andrew. The latest version looks better to my eyes (although scaling down a tad wouldn't hurt!). And since you're particular about colour balance, it does seem to have a quite a blue cast to it. That may just be me, as I know you're careful about display colour calibration. I'm certainly envious of your seeing - we've had a string of clear mornings here, but seeing has been all over the place and I haven't had much worth sharing.

• Tulloch likes this

#20 Foc

Foc

Apollo

• -----
  • Loc: South Canberra

Posted 20 June 2021 - 09:43 PM

Very Nice Saturn and a great and interesting processing evolution of your Evo Jupiter image 

• KiwiRay and Tulloch like this

#21 Tulloch

Tulloch

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 20 June 2021 - 10:08 PM

Thanks Ray, I noticed the colour shift too, but since I haven't got my new laptop screen calibrated yet, I just thought it was an issue with the screen.

Based on the information in another thread, for this capture I increased the gain "Offset" value in Firecapture from 1 to 10. I assumed that this would increase the offset linearly and not affect the colour balance, however I have noticed that the histogram appears to be preferentially shifted in the blue channel (especially at the bottom end), this was especially obvious when I watching the recording process in FC.

I might go back to recording at a brightness/offset setting of 1, see how that goes...

• KiwiRay likes this

#22 Quopaz

Quopaz

Vostok 1

• -----
  • Loc: South Australia

Posted 21 June 2021 - 04:41 AM

Much the same here. As it turned out, the seeing this morning was up there with as good as it gets. I started a bit before 2am and
was only going to do the red spot... ended up staying up all night and got no sleep... just packed up in time for 12 hrs work. Really
tired now, too tired to process anything. Big dew issues here too, and when I rolled up the extension cord it was frozen covered with ice.
But all worth it when seeing is good like that.
  • Tulloch and Ittaku like this

#23 Tulloch

Tulloch

Gemini

• topic starter

Posted 21 June 2021 - 05:17 AM

Crazy people ... lol.gif

Looking forward to the results, though :)

#24 Ittaku

Ittaku

Apollo

• -----

Posted 21 June 2021 - 05:54 AM

Much the same here. As it turned out, the seeing this morning was up there with as good as it gets. I started a bit before 2am and
was only going to do the red spot... ended up staying up all night and got no sleep... just packed up in time for 12 hrs work. Really
tired now, too tired to process anything. Big dew issues here too, and when I rolled up the extension cord it was frozen covered with ice.
But all worth it when seeing is good like that.

Mine wasn't as good as I thought, only to begin with as I started later, and managed to stuff up my colour Jupiter yet again, but got truckloads of data. Will post what I have shortly,  then pass out nice and early...

#25 kevinbreen

kevinbreen

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Wexford, Ireland

Posted 21 June 2021 - 06:39 PM

Can't remember!
Stunning images, as always
  • Tulloch likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics