•  

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Photo

Full disk H-alpha on 20th June 2021

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 cmas

cmas

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter
  • Loc: Finland

Posted 20 June 2021 - 05:22 AM

Still following the active region. Today there's also pretty nice protuberances. Most likely animation-worthy action!

51259884380_f48a8af644.jpg

• Magellanico, LarryAlvarez, philmor56 and 9 others like this

#2 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 20 June 2021 - 05:31 AM

Another nice disk!

• cmas likes this

#3 cmas

cmas

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2021 - 05:33 AM

Thanks Warren! Unfortunately here we seemed to have some slight cloudiness / overcast going on and that shows in the image quality. Couldn't help myself however as these (almost) clear skies are not gonna last forever.

#4 rigel123

rigel123

ISS

• Loc: SW Ohio

Posted 20 June 2021 - 05:35 AM

Thanks Warren! Unfortunately here we seemed to have some slight cloudiness / overcast going on and that shows in the image quality. Couldn't help myself however as these (almost) clear skies are not gonna last forever.

I hear you!  I have my share of “through the clouds” shots!

• cmas likes this

#5 ChrisWhite

ChrisWhite

Fly Me to the Moon

• Loc: Northeast USA

Posted 20 June 2021 - 06:28 AM

I'm not a solar imager (i've dabbled with it but nothing serious) and I wonder why there is a black ring around the perimeter of the sun below the flaring?  Pretty cool image!  Nice work!

• cmas likes this

#6 cmas

cmas

Explorer 1

• -----
  • topic starter

Posted 20 June 2021 - 06:58 AM

Chris: It arises from post processing. I don't image the disk and protuberances separately. This means I have to dig the protus and surface detail out from the same raw data. I do this by adjusting tone curve / histogram in ImPPG. This basically means that in order to bring out the protuberances my histogram curve is not linear or a typical "S-curve". I would describe my settings to look like a "double peak" i.e. I make one "hump" close to blacks to pop out the protus and then bring the curve down and continue with a more traditional S-curve. Thus one could say that the image is partially inverted.
  • BinoGuy likes this

#7 PhotonJohn

PhotonJohn

Mercury-Atlas

• -----
  • Loc: Lake Ahern Observatory Viera Florida

Posted 20 June 2021 - 11:35 AM

Very nice cmas.

• cmas likes this

CNers have asked about a donation box for Cloudy Nights over the years, so here you go. Donation is not required by any means, so please enjoy your stay.

Recent Topics

Cloudy Nights LLC
Cloudy Nights Sponsor: Astronomics